HES HERO 2.10.23
At HES we are committed to creating a safe and nurturing environment that partners with families to promote high expectations, critical thinking, and the belief that other people matter. Students will leave HES equipped to be global life-long learners who are advocates for change.
February 13-17 Bus Driver Appreciation Week
February 15 Track 3 Returns – All tracks are in
February 16 6:30 PTA Board Meeting and Tr 3 & 4 Gr K and 5 Holiday Program
African American History Month:
In honor of African American History month and in an effort to instill a love a reading in all students, our staff and PTA has worked collaboratively to plan a variety of literacy rich activities for our school community in the upcoming weeks.
- During the month of February staff will conduct virtual story times on various nights at 7:30 pm. Each story read will highlight either a famous African American author or share more about the African American Culture. In addition, an African American parent will share how important reading is to them in their everyday life/career. Here is the schedule for the month. We hope to see you there.
- Our Literacy Committee has scheduled a Book Challenge for the end of the month. Students will be engaging in a variety of fun literacy activities that week in school. Please see this flier for more information.
- Our PTA has also secured an African American author who will be presenting to students on Feb 23. We are so excited to learn from Ms. Kelly Starling Lyons.
Reminder that students on Track 3 returns next Wed. 2/15 and no one tracks out. Traffic will be heavier. Please plan accordingly.
In addition, the town has changed the traffic flow lanes as you exit our school onto Rogers Road. The left lane is strictly for left hand turns only. The right lane is for traffic going straight or making a right hand turn. Please keep that in mind as you exit our campus.
Girls on the Run:
HES is proud to share that we have a new program starting called Girls on the Run. Girls on the Run is an afterschool program like no other. Twice a week for 10 weeks, girls will have fun, make friends, increase their physical activity levels and learn important life skills. Trained and caring coaches lead 3rd - 5th-grade girls through interactive lessons and movement activities. The season ends with a celebratory 5K event. Participating in Girls on the Run transforms girls’ lives by helping them increase their self-confidence, develop healthy relationships, and feel good about themselves, inside and out. Please find out more info at this link.
Our bike rack has been installed!!!! A huge thank you to all members of our PTA for helping to fund this much needed equipment. As a school community we encourage physical activity and the use of the wonderful greenway system, however, student safety is our utmost priority. FAMILIES are encouraged to use the greenway to bike to school, however, ALL students must be ACCOMPANIED BY AN ADULT to cross the road from the greenway to the bike rack. Similarly, in the afternoon, parents will need to pick students up at the cafeteria prior to accessing their bicycle.
We need you!! If you have a child that will be 5 years old by August 25, 2023 please register for kindergarten NOW! You may begin the process by visiting our school website. If you have any questions, please contact Ms. Mary Canny (firstname.lastname@example.org). Please share this information with friends, families, neighbors, etc.
The Wake Pre-Kindergarten application is open for the 2023-24 school year. Paper applications are available in our front office, or you may apply online here. These programs are for children who will be 4 years old by Aug. 31, 2023. Please submit your application by Friday, June 16 if you are interested. If you need assistance with you completing your application, please see the support sessions available:
Wake County Public School System
Every Tuesday, 1 to 4 p.m., through June 13
Crossroads 2/110 Corning Road, Cary
Contact: Varenka GomezdelCampo
Wake County Smart Start
Every Thursday, 1 to 4 p.m., year-round (support for other applications as well)
4901 Waters Edge Drive, #101, Raleigh
Contact: Ana Gallo (email@example.com)
Bus Driver Appreciation Week February 13-17:
Our bus drivers are so vital to our students’ success. They do an awesome job of making sure students are safe when in their care transporting students to and from school. Please help your child demonstrate “Other People Matter” by creating a small token of appreciation for their bus driver. Items may include: a thank you note, warm cup of coffee/tea/hot chocolate in the morning or bottle of water with snack in the afternoon, gift cards, etc.
MARK YOUR CALENDARS! The HES family dance will be March 3rd from 6:00-8:00pm. This event will be free to all students and their families. All children attending must be accompanied by an adult. It will be a fun night for all. We will have a DJ, photo booth, games, food, and DANCING! This year we will also have a silent auction. In addition to the silent auction, we are putting together grade level baskets to be raffled off. We are looking for donations to help make these baskets a success. Please see the below links and help out if you can.
- Kindergarten: Movie Night!
- First Grade: Bonfire Night!
- Second Grade: Love of Flowers
- Third Grade Donations - Raining Money
- Fourth Grade: Staycation!
- Fifth Grade: Day at the Beach!
We are also in need of volunteers to help with the dance. Sign up here to help: DoNut Grow Up HES Family Dance
- Our Wake Up and Read book drive is going on now through February 24th. We will be collecting new and gently used books to donate. Wake Up and Read accepts books for any age, including baby and toddler books.
- We are restocking the teacher's lounge and would love your help. Please sign up here for items to send in: https://signup.com/go/eeJtWpp
- We want to show our teachers how super they are with a "Souper Bowl" Staff Goody day on February 17th. If you would like to contribute please check out our sign up: https://www.signupgenius.com/go/4090C4DA9AC29A3F94-souper
- Save the date! We will be having a Spirit Night at Urban Air on March 9th from 4:00-8:00pm. A flyer will be coming home soon with more information!
- We want to say thank you to The Produce Box for their donation of a gift certificate to support our school. In turn, we're asking followers to support the farmers and local artisans they represent by becoming a member today at www.theproducebox.com