HES HERO 1.13.23
At HES we are committed to creating a safe and nurturing environment that partners with families to promote high expectations, critical thinking, and the belief that other people matter. Students will leave HES equipped to be global life-long learners who are advocates for change.
January 16 MLK HOLIDAY – NO SCHOOL
January 18 Last Day Tr 3
January 19 Track 4 Returns
6:30 PTA Board
January 26 Tr 4 Report Cards Go Home
January 27 Birthday Lunch Tr. 4
January 30 PTA Book Drive Begins to Support Wake Up and Read
All students on Tracks 1 and 3 received their report card on Monday January 9 (Tr 4 1/26). Please take time to review your child’s progress thus far this year with them. Praise areas of growth and maintenance of grade level standards. Then identify areas of need and help your child develop a plan for improvement. This may include looking at behavior, conduct, attendance and comments to identify a cause for the lack of proficiency. Please see the information below regarding absences and the impact on performance.
2023 – 2024:
- Track Changes – As we begin planning for the next school year if you would like to request a possible track change, please email email@example.com NOW. No track changes will be accepted after 1/31/23. All requests will be reviewed when we begin creating classes for next year and families will be notified if their request was approved.
- Kindergarten Enrollment – It is time to enroll any child that will be 5 years old by August 31, 2023. Enrollment information is on our website at this link. If this does not apply to you directly, please pass this information along to friends, neighbors, social circles, etc. Accurate counts of students helps everyone as we create staffing plans for next school year.
Virtual Weekly Storytime with HES Staff:
We are continuing to promote the joy reading and building student reading stamina in many ways. We currently have a schoolwide challenge occurring to read books using MyOn (digital library available to all students). In addition, we had such a positive response to the 2 story times with administrators in December we will continue that in the month of February. In honor of Black History Month we will be reading books written by black authors or books about a black person. In addition to Ms. Austin and Dr. Tillery reading we will also have Ms. Smith, our Literacy Coach and Ms. Drew, our Media Specialist, conducting a storytime. Each session will be at 7:30 pm via a google link that will be sent the day of the event. Get your PJs on and come join the fun!
- Thursday Feb 2 – Ms. Austin
- Tuesday Feb 7 – Dr. Tillery
- Tuesday Feb 14 – Ms. Drew
- Thursday Feb 23 – Ms. Smith
- Our Wake Up and Read book drive will begin on January 30th and go through February 24th. We will be collecting new and gently used books to donate. Wake Up and Read accepts books for any age, including baby and toddler books.
- Mark your calendars! We will be having a Spirit Night at Culver's on February 8th from 5:00-8:00. Enjoy a delicious meal and support our school in the process.
- The votes are in, and we're excited to announce the theme for our upcoming family dance. Our theme will be "Do-nut Grow Up". Thank you to everyone who voted. The dance will be held at school on March 3rd from 6:00-8:00pm. It will be free to attend and all family members are welcome.
- Our next PTA meeting will be on February 16th! We hope to see you there!