HES HERO 7.15.22
At HES we are committed to creating a safe and nurturing environment that partners with families to promote high expectations, critical thinking, and the belief that other people matter. Students will leave HES equipped to be global life-long learners who are advocates for change.
July 22 Last Day Summer Learning Track 4
July 26 6:30 pm Virtual PTA Meeting
July 28 Last Day Track 3
Early Release Tracks 1 and 3
PTA Spirit Day at Lumpy’s Ice Cream
July 29 First Day Track 4 Grades 1-5
First Staggered Entry Day Track 4 K
August 4 4:00 pm – 5:00 pm K Meet the Teacher Track 4
August 5 All Tr 4 Kindergarten Students Attend
8:25 am Tea and Tissues for Tr 4 Kindergarten Parents in Media Center
Students have done a wonderful job acclimating themselves to the new school year. We welcomed our kindergarten students yesterday who fit right in. All are working diligently to demonstrate our HERO expectations:
Hold high expectations for self and others
Be an Engaged learner
Show Other People Matter
Free and Reduced Lunch:
Meals are no longer free this year (Breakfast 1.50 and lunch 3.00). After the 10th day of school students must begin paying for breakfast and/or lunch. Parents may apply for free or reduced meals by:
- apply onlineor
- request a paper copy from the main office
If you would like to put money in your child’s account to avoid them carrying cash each day, you may set up an account www.MySchoolBucks.com
Reading at Home:
myON Reading is a digital platform that ensures all K-3 students can engage in frequent, high-quality reading practice with unlimited, 24/7 access to thousands of enhanced digital books and age-appropriate news articles, that have been vetted by child psychologists. myON provides students with a personalized reading experience with access to a variety of digital texts, as well as teacher assignment options, and a daily news feature. myON provides access to texts and would be perfect for in-person, remote, or blended learning environments. Students log into their WCPSS account and go to Renaissance to access myON.
Volunteers are visitors who may or may not be alone with students at any point, including in a virtual setting. Volunteers do require background checks. There are no "levels" of volunteer status. Typical examples range from a community volunteer who reads with a child to an overnight chaperone, as well as field day workers, testing proctors, assisting with classroom events and field trip chaperones. The same background check is done for every type of volunteer.
- Current volunteers who were approved for the 2021-22 school year do not have to register again this year.
All new volunteer applicants must register and have an approved criminal record check prior to engaging in volunteer work.
- New volunteer applicants may go to any WCPSS work site and register through wcpss.net by selecting the Community tab, and then selecting Volunteer.
- Applicants will be notified by email once their application has been approved.
- Applicants who are not approved will receive notice from Employee Relations.
- Heritage Elementary will have computers set up at Tissues and Tea, Open House and each Friday morning from 7:15 am - 8:15 am in the Media Center for parents to register.
When unloading students in the morning, please pull all the way down to the staff member and little green man. This keeps the traffic flow moving. Once Track 4 returns we will have a greater # of cars to unload, so we need to be most efficient. Thank you in advance.
- Thank you to Track 1 & 3 families for your generous donations to the HES school supply and snack drive. You really showed that Other People Matter! Please continue to donate snack items at any time.
- Calling Track 1 & 3 Room Parents: Thank you so much for volunteering! There will be a room parent information meeting on July 21st at 6:00 in the media center. Please join us!
- Mark your calendars for Tuesday July 26th at 6:30. We will have our first PTA meeting of the new school year. This will be a virtual meeting. The meeting link is https://meet.google.com/vze-hztv-nyu All are welcome to join.
- July 28th is Spirit Day at Lumpy’s. This is an all-day event. Stop in, mention HES, get some delicious ice cream, and give back to our school in the process!