HES HERO 7.5.22
At HES we are committed to creating a safe and nurturing environment that partners with families to promote high expectations, critical thinking, and the belief that other people matter. Students will leave HES equipped to be global life-long learners who are advocates for change.
July 7 First Day Tracks 1 and 3/Staggered Entry for Kindergarten
July 11 Summer Learning Begins Track 4
Back to School Supply Drive Begins
July 13 4:00 – 5:00 K Meet the Teacher Tracks 1 and 3
July 14 All Tr 1 and 3 Kindergarten Students Attend
8:25 Tea and Tissues for Tr 1 and 3 Kindergarten Parents in Media Ctr
July 22 Last Day Summer Learning Track 4
July 28 Last Day Track 3
Early Release Tracks 1 and 3
PTA Spirit Day at Lumpy’s Ice Cream
July 29 First Day Track 4 Grades 1-5
First Staggered Entry Day Track 4 K
August 4 4:00 – 5:00 K Meet the Teacher Track 4
August 5 All Tr 4 Kindergarten Students Attend
8:25 Tea and Tissues for Tr 4 Kindergarten Parents in Media Center
Happy New Year!
We are excited to begin the 2022-2023 school year! Our school community had a wonderful year last year with our 3rd – 5th grade students demonstrating 16 percentage point increase in the # of students demonstrating proficiency in math based on the EOG tests and 2.5 percentage point increase in the # of students demonstrating proficiency in reading based on the EOG tests. This is tremendous progress, and we look forward to continuing with that progression! We look forward to a great year ahead!
School Begins Thursday July 7 for Tracks 1 and 3. School hours are 7:55 am – 2:55 pm:
- Have you reviewed your child’s supply list? This was sent home with report cards and is also available on our school website.
- Have you identified how your child will arrive and depart HES each day?
- If bus, have you received an email from WCPSS transportation? Bus routes have changed this year, so do not assume it is the same route color. Also, be at bus stops 15 minutes prior to the projected arrival time and allow 15 minutes after the scheduled time. This is also true for the afternoon. All Kindergarten and first grade students must be greeted at the bus stop each afternoon by an adult. If there is not an adult greeting them at the stop, the bus driver will take them back to school and parents will need to pick them up at school.
- If carpool, do you know where your carpool tag is? Does your child know their carpool number? We will be using the same tags as last year. If you need a tag, please call the front office at 919-562-6000 prior to Thursday. Have you practiced your child entering and exiting your car independently?
- If walker, please be sure to walk your student across the road from the greenway in the morning. Each afternoon please pick your child up at the cafeteria doors.
- Meals are no longer free. Have you applied for free or reduced school meals? See below.
- If your child needs to take medication at school, have you had your doctor complete the 1702 and arranged a time to bring meds to school prior to the first day? Students may NOT transport medications.
Apply for free and reduced-price school meals
In order to receive free or reduced-price meals for next school year, families need to submit a meal benefits application. All families must complete an application for the 2022-2023 school year starting July 1 in order to receive benefits. Please allow 10 business days for processing.
We need you to complete a 2022-2023 meal benefits application so our school can be eligible for extra funding next year. If you have not completed a free or reduced-price meal application and think your child may be eligible, please apply online or request a paper copy from the main office after July 1. Paper applications can also be requested by calling 919-588-3535 or 919-856-2920 or emailing email@example.com.
- K-5 Breakfast $1.50 and lunch $3.00
- 6-12 Breakfast $1.75 and lunch $3.25
Transportation assignment notifications for 2022-23:
All families registered for WCPSS bus transportation should have received an email from transportation, stating the bus route and times for the 22-23 school year. Bus route colors may have changed from the current year. Please read the email carefully to prepare your child for the new year.