HES Weekly Announcements 4.17.20
HES Weekly Announcements 4.17.20
Congratulations – we have completed our first official week of Remote Learning. I know in many cases parents have learned as much as students have this week. We appreciate your support to ensure each student is engaging in 2 hours of learning each day. We understand this can be difficult with multiple children while balancing the needs of your family. We ask that everyone does something so students can continue to learn.
Below are several resources for families:
- Primary Resource – Teacher’s Google Classroom
- Check out this video to assist with navigating Google Classroom
- If you are having any technical issues with remote learning WCPSS has set up a special Help Desk for parents. You may call 919-694-8100 Monday – Friday from 7:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. or access this link:
- Continue with what is familiar to you and your child – Dreambox, iStation, etc.
- Each google classroom has activities from our Specialists (Art, Music, PE, Media, Science) for students to engage in. These can be done on any day with your entire family. Monday may be Art day so all students engage in an art activity. Repeat with another special on Tuesday, etc.
- Kramer has created a robust Science website that provides activities as well as some virtual fieldtrips to National Parks. Check it out! Science Website - https://sites.google.com/wcpss.net/mskramersextensionactivities/home
- Time for Kids (free) - Parents must sign up for students under 18 https://time.com/tfk-free/
- UNC-TV - Looking for educational television to help your kids continue learning while away from school and you need to be on a conference call for your work? UNC-TV and the NC Department of Public Instruction are expanding their educational programming for all students PreK through grade 12. Each weekday, students will have the opportunity to view quality programming on Rootle TV and UNC-TV’s North Carolina Channel.
If your child is K through 3rd grade, tune in to:
- Rootle, UNC-TV's 24/7 PBS KIDS channel
- UNC-TV channel weekdays from 6:30AM - 1:30PM for children’s programming including Sesame Street (literacy, math and social skills), Wild Kratts (animals), Peg Plus Cat (mathematical thinking ), Daniel Tiger (social skills) and Word Girl (vocabulary).
If your child is grades 3-5, tune in to:
- UNC-TV's North Carolina Channel, weekdays, from 8AM - 1PM
- Students will enjoy this engaging instruction in such subjects as English and language arts, science, math and social studies.
These educational program blocks are available on the North Carolina Channel, available statewide for free over-the-air, through cable providers and streamed online at https://www.unctv.org/unctv-at-home-learning/. Spectrum Cable subscribers can access UNC-TV’s four digital services at the following channel numbers: UNC-TV – 1221, the North Carolina Channel – 1276, Rootle 24/7 PBS KIDS Channel – 1275 and the Explorer Channel – 1277. If you have an antenna, UNC-TV is Channel 4.4.
Planning for School Year 20-21:
We will be creating an additional Grade 2 Track 4 class for 2020-2021. We are seeking a few current first graders on Tracks 1,2, and 3 that would like to move to Track 4. If you are interested please email asblackmer@wcpss by April 30.
Due to COVID-19 we recognize many family situations may be changing. If you have family members moving in with you please enroll school aged children ASAP through the WCPSS portal so we can be prepared for them. If you will be moving due to the pandemic, please notify email@example.com so she can ensure the appropriate documents are forwarded to your child’s new school.
Our students have exceeded our goal of 80,000 lessons completed already (89,422 as of 4/7), with an average of 99% growth per student, and an average of 11.9 standards proficient. Keep up the good work! This is a great resource to continue using during this time of school closure.
HES Virtual Reflections:
Each year, with the support of the PTA we have held our Reflections Art Show in the Spring of the year to highlight the wonderful artists we have at HES. We will continue that tradition this year in a virtual format. We are calling all HES Artists, Writers, & Photographers! There's still time to participate in the Heritage Hurricanes Reflections Art Program. Submit your most creative & imaginative works of art & literature, inspired by the 2020 theme “Small Things Matter” by May 1st. What a great time to remember all the small things that matter most while we are quarantining and schooling from home. Take time to brainstorm all the people, things, & ideas that really do matter most AND THEN turn those ideas into artwork, sculpture, a short story, a poem, or a photograph to share with HES friends and family at our Virtual Art Ceremony on Thursday, May 14th. You can learn more about how to participate by visiting this website https://sites.google.com/wcpss.net/hesreflections/home.
We will continue to communicate via HES Announcements bi-weekly that is posted on our website. Parents may also receive it as an email and/or a text message with the link. If you would like to add or change your method of receiving this information please email firstname.lastname@example.org with you updated information.