Principal Message Week of January 9, 2022
Davis Drive Elementary families,
I hope everyone has had a wonderful weekend. Cold weather has returned so please remember to send outerwear for students to use at recess. We get outside as much as possible and as long as there is no inclement weather, students will go out for recess and they can get chilly after 30 minutes. Also, please check when your child comes home that they have all that outwear back home with them. During the winter our Lost and Found grows :)
- All families are required to display a Carpool Tag when using the Carpool Line for Dismissal. You will need to have it displayed when pulling into line as well as when you get up to the front to ensure the student hears their carpool number called. Please come to the Front Office to receive your Carpool Tag if you do not have one.
- If you are picking up your child for an appointment please do so by 1:30pm. Any later after that and it interferes with normal dismissal procedures.
- Any changes to the way your child will go home must be called into the office by 1:30.
DDES Family Nights at West Regional Library
We are very excited about our new DDES Family Nights at West Regional Public Library! On the first Wednesday of every month this year, our Media Coordinator, Mrs. Fiedler, and the staff at West Regional will host a get-together for DDES families. In addition to helping your child get their own library card, the librarians can create custom booklists and Express Book Bags (personalized picks to grab and go) for your child!
Due to COVID restrictions, however, space is limited to 20 DDES families per month. If you are interested in attending February's Family Night on Feb. 2 at 6 pm, please complete this interest form - https://forms.gle/dCkpo3GH8kSuFeas7
PTA Top 5
For the week of January 9th
- WELCOME to Davis Drive Elementary Mrs. Todd! Attend a Virtual Meet & Greet to get to know our new Assistant Principal. Dates & times found here!
- School Beautification - January 15th - Sign Up HERE.
- Staff Appreciation - “Fuel Up” Snack Bar! Please help us show appreciation to our amazing staff. Click this link to find out what we are serving up on January 21st and how you can help!
- Yearbook Volunteers Needed! The PTA is looking for 1-2 parents per grade level who will help us put together the Yearbook. This process can be done from home. Time commitment is truly just a couple of hours between the months of January and February. Interested? Have a question? Email Ashley at DDEPTAPresident@gmail.com
- Alpaca Spirit Night! Save the Date - January 26th. More information is coming soon!
Chess Club will be starting up again this year in a slightly different format due to Covid Protocols.
- Monday– 1st & 2nd Grade Lessons Jan 24-Mar 21
- Tuesday– 3rd Grade Lessons Jan 25-Mar 22
- Wednesday– 4th Grade Lessons Jan 26-Mar 23
- Thursday– 5th Grade Lessons Jan 27-Mar 24
- Friday– All Grades Tournament Jan 28-Mar 25 (must know checkmate—for tournament day)
- Dates– Jan 24 to Mar 25 (no meetings when school is closed) Time: 2:20 to 3:40 Location: Art Room (Parent Pick Up Point) (There is an outside door to use instead of the front entrance.
- Fees: $129 Lessons or Tournament (sign up 2x for both)
- Lessons- Students will learn chess fundamentals and strategies that enhance learning skills and critical thinking.
- Novice students and experienced players are encouraged to sign up as we will have multiple levels of experience. Lesson and practice games each day. ***
- New*** Tournament Day– We will have rated games in school to build competitive confidence and be ready for state level competition. Register 2x if you want to do both Lessons and Tournament Day.
- Questions? Improve@TriangleChess.com or (919) 272-8017 Online Sign Up: 1) go to TriangleChess.com 2) Click In School on upper right 3) Click Join A Team
The NC Department of Health and Human Services requires additional health precautions if you have one of these symptoms often associated with COVID-19:
- Fever or chills
- Shortness of breath or difficulty breathing
- Muscle or body aches
- New loss of taste or smell
- Sore throat
- Congestion or runny nose
- Nausea or vomiting
Here's when you can return:
IF YOU ARE VACCINATED OR HAD COVID-19 WITHIN THE PAST 3 MONTHS
You do not have to quarantine if it’s been at least 2 weeks since you received the second dose in a 2-dose series, or it’s been at least 2 weeks since you received a vaccine that only requires a single-dose AND you have not developed any symptoms since your exposure to COVID-19. You must provide dated proof of vaccination to return to school without completing the quarantine requirements.
PREVIOUSLY DIAGNOSED WITH COVID-19?
You do not have to quarantine if you were diagnosed with COVID-19 within the past 3 months AND you have not developed symptoms of COVID-19 without another identified cause for the symptoms. If you develop symptoms within 3 months of having COVID-19, you may need to be tested again if there is no other reason for your symptoms. You must provide dated proof of your previous COVID-19 diagnosis to return to school without completing the quarantine requirements.
DIAGNOSED WITH COVID-19 WITHIN THE LAST 10 DAYS
- You may return if it has been 5 days since your first positive COVID-19 test AND you have not developed any symptoms. If you develop symptoms, you should isolate from others until fever-free and symptoms are improving. Individuals should isolate for at least 5 days since symptoms began.
NO MEDICAL DIAGNOSIS OR COVID-19 TEST?
You may return if It has been at least 5 days since you first had symptoms AND it has been at least 24 hours since you had a fever (without the use of fever reducing medicine) AND symptoms are improving, including cough and shortness of breath.
ALTERNATE MEDICAL DIAGNOSIS?
You may return if you have a confirmed diagnosis other than COVID-19 (like a stomach virus, ear infection, etc.) from a healthcare professional to explain the COVID-19-like symptoms AND it has been at least 24 hours since you had a fever (without the use of fever reducing medicine) AND you have felt well for 24 hours. The health care provider is not required to detail the specifics of the alternate diagnosis.
NEGATIVE COVID-19 TEST?
You may return if you have a negative PCR/Molecular* COVID-19 test AND it has been at least 24 hours since you had a fever (without the use of fever reducing medicine) AND you have felt well for 24 hours NOTE: If you have a negative rapid antigen** test, you must receive a follow-up negative PCR/Molecular test.
DUE TO COVID-19 VACCINATION?
If you experience side effects during the first few days after receiving a COVID-19 vaccination, you should stay home until you are no longer experiencing symptoms and it has been at least 24 hours since you had a fever (without the use of fever-reducing medicine). You are not required to present an alternate diagnosis, negative COVID-19 test, or stay home for 10 days in order to return to school or work.
Parents, please consider applying for meal benefits as soon as possible . By submitting a qualifying application, families will also support the district in qualifying for additional funds to support students and learning! Also, the NC Department of Health & Human Services is collecting student free and reduced lunch and attendance data from WCPSS to determine any additional Pandemic Electronic Benefits (P-EBT) that will be issued in the coming months! By not applying for these meal benefits, you will miss the potential opportunity to receive direct P-EBT funds for your family!
Yes, meals will still be free for all students through June 2022 but we still need you to complete a meal benefits application so our school can be eligible for this extra education funding next school year. Also, this ensures your student is covered for the first few weeks of school next year. Information about applying for Meal Benefits can be found at www.wcpss.net/meals. Help our school continue to receive this funding by completing an application online at MySchoolApps.com. Paper applications can be requested by calling 919-588-3535.
Dillard Drive Magnet Middle School Info:
January 8, 2022 - 9:00 am - Mini Magnet Online Fair
January 11, 2022 - 9:30am - 11:00 am - Mini Magnet Online Fair
January 19, 2022 - 6:00pm - 7:30pm - Virtual Open House
All information can be found on our website - https://www.wcpss.net/dillarddrivems
If they have any questions, they can email me at email@example.com or Jessica Nelson, Magnet Coordinator firstname.lastname@example.org
Here is video about our school: https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&v=stmi_tUQg0I&feature=youtu.be