Principal's Message Week of May 2, 2021
April 30, 2021
Davis Drive Families,
What a wonderful week it has been here at Davis Drive Elementary. Sunshine, smiling faces, and learning in and out of our building!
On Friday, May 7 we are celebrating School Lunch Hero Day. Make cards or pictures for our amazing Cafeteria staff.
Between preparing healthy meals for America’s students, adhering to strict nutrition standards, navigating student food allergies, and offering service with a smile, school nutrition professionals are true heroes.
On Friday, May 7, 2021, we will celebrate School Lunch Hero Day! School Lunch Hero Day is a chance to showcase the difference school nutrition professionals make for every child who comes through the cafeteria.
School Lunch Hero Day provides you with the perfect opportunity to recognize the hardworking professionals in your school cafeterias.
Dress up with us to celebrate all week!
May 3rd: Crazy hat or Crazy hair Day
May 4th: School Spirit Day
May 5th: Wacky Tacky Day
May 6th: Decades Day: Pick your favorite Decade (60s, 70s, 80s)
May 7th: Dress up as your favorite Superhero
Open National Field Day- Virtual:
We’re excited to announce that our school community will be participating in the
OPEN National Field Day event on Thursday, May 13th!
Field Day is an important tradition at our school. It is a significant day for our students and our staff, and we feel that in these incredibly challenging times this national event is a unique way that we can stay connected as a community and support one another in a fun and meaningful way.
OPEN (Online Physical Education Network) is a national public service organization that provides curriculum and training support to more than 90,000 teachers in all 50 states. We will be using their resources and social media network to help us organize our school’s participation in #NationalFieldDay.
All #NationalFieldDay events are designed to be done indoors or outdoors using common household items. You won’t be asked to purchase any specialized equipment or supplies.
Here’s how it will work:
- Our school is now registered as a participant in this event. Families can choose to register as well, but it’s not a requirement. ● The event website iswww.openphysed.org/nationalfieldday.
- As a part of registration, we will receive Field Day Friday email updates each week with new resources that we will share with you.
- You can also find updates via social media using #NationalFieldDay.
- Your family will be asked to choose a minimum of 5 events to complete on Field Day. However, you may complete as many events as you’d like to.
- On May 13th, our entire school will participate in events, complete an official score card, share photos and videos, and participate nationally on social media using #NationalFieldDay.
- After the event, your student will submit their scorecard via Google Classroom to their physical education teacher.
- Every student that completes at least 5 events will receive an OPEN National Field Day certificate.
We will continue to send you weekly updates on this fun and festive event. We appreciate your cooperation and are hopeful that your entire family will use it as a fun and meaningful way to be physically active together and with our entire school community.
Staff Appreciation Week - May 3 - May 7
The PTA has sent out a message to all parents that we are celebrating staff appreciation week next week. Please encourage your students to bring in notes or pictures or email the staff messages.
Virtual Academy Student School Pictures
Please come to school to pick up your child’s school pictures. You may come to the front of the school building Monday-Friday from 8 am - 1 pm.
Symptom Screening Reminders:
While WCPSS has stopped doing temperature and question screenings when children arrive at school, we are relying on you to screen your children at home.
Students should not be in school if they are diagnosed with Covid 19, exposed to someone with Covid 19, instructed to quarantine, or if they are sick or experiencing any of these symptoms(new symptoms have been added):
- 100.4 fever or higher
- Sore Throat
- New Cough
- New shortness of breath or difficulty breathing
- New loss of taste or smell
- Diarrhea or vomiting
- New severe headache