Davis Drive Elementary Principal's Message for the Week of October 11, 2020
Hello Davis Drive Elementary School families. This is the Weekly Principal’s Message for the Week of October 11, 2020. Our online instruction continues and we appreciate the efforts being made by staff and families to ensure that students are attending and completing assigned work. Please remember that we need our students to work as independently as possible. We know that our children need support as well. We want our children to think about their work and to work through some challenging material. Our advice is that when students ask questions about assignments, it is most effective to help the student explore the assigned task. Use your best judgement to help your child, but we suggest that the most effective help will encourage your child to think and explore. We truly appreciate your support of our school.
In just a few weeks some of our Plan B students will report to classrooms with their teachers. We will begin in-person school on a cohort grouping. Plan B students will attend one week and then will work online for two weeks. Our goal will be minimize potential exposure by the following:
- Desks and tables will be arranged for students to be socially distanced.
- Students will participate in a daily health screening – which includes a temperature check
- Restroom breaks and hand washing breaks will be scheduled. Students will be permitted to use the restroom when necessary and following social distance guidelines.
- Students will complete their work at desks and tables. They will use individually assigned materials.
- Students will have social time daily. However, social time will be modified, in that students will not share equipment and toys. Students will participate in specials and recess, but the activities will be modified.
- Some outdoor areas will be open for classrooms to use, but the playground equipment will be closed until we have further instructions from our school district.
- Students will wash hands throughout the day and before eating lunch. They will eat in classrooms rather than the cafeteria.
- Students will be expected to wear face coverings except while eating.
We anticipate that as the school year progresses, we will be able to modify our procedures based on guidance from our school system and local health officials. At this time we need to ensure safety and follow school system guidelines.
As I have mentioned before, I will retire as of January 1, 2021. Our Area Superintendent, Dr. Tammie Sexton, will hold a parent input session on Wednesday, October 14 at 5:30 pm. The session is to gather parent input for selecting the next principal for Davis Drive Elementary. Parents will be able to join the input session by clicking on a link that will be provided on Wednesday. The link will be sent to parents through School Messenger and posted on our school website as well. As we understand that all parents may not be able to attend, parents can also provide input via a survey at https://forms.gle/o5ZFB7Uu7Syepqi4A.
All are welcome to attend the meeting but only PTA members may vote. Please use the link below to join the meeitng: meet.google.com/ovo-zbyt-ezn
Stay up to date on the WCPSS plans for schools by viewing the link -- https://www.wcpss.net/returntocampus