DDE Week of November 4
Hello Davis Drive Elementary School Families. This is the weekly message for the week of November 4, 2018.
We begin by congratulating Ms. Ellen Govert. Ms. Govert has been selected as the Davis Drive Elementary School Teacher of The Year.
On Tuesday, November 6, our school will open on a 2 hour delay due to Election Day. While Davis Drive Elementary is not a voting place, Davis Drive Middle School and other schools are voting places. All Wake County Schools will be on a 2 hour delay. We encourage our families to vote on Election Day. On Tuesday buses and all transportation will be on 2 hour a delay. Students will be able to enter our building at 9:15 am. Our official start time will be 9:45. We suggest that students arrive between 9:15 and 9:35 on Tuesday.
Now that we are on Standard Time, you will notice that it is lighter in the mornings. Please always follow carpool procedures. As a suggestion, if you are using the Davis Drive carpool entrance, it is best to turn right to exit our parking lot. Many drivers report that they can turn around at the stoplight on Davis Drive. Turning right onto Davis Drive and avoiding turning left during carpool will add to the safety as well as the efficiency of our carpool procedures.
Our students work very hard in school each and every day. Teachers plan lessons to engage students in activities that support our curriculum. One topic that may be helpful would be for parents to disucss with children how to make connections to their very own lives. Consider casual conversations with your children about the following topics:
- How you as an adult use math in your daily life
- How reading, making inferences, and being able to recall details in what you read can helpful for you as an adult.
- How science and technology has improved your life
- How we have grown as a society as a result of experiences from the past
These conversations will help students understand the relevance of school. When students personally understand relevance, their motivation to learn increases. We appreciate the support that our families provide our school.
The week of November 13 will be our PTA sponsored Book Fair. This is always a popular event.
Monday, November 5
- Assembly for students in grades 3 – 5 Lemoncello Live
Tuesday, November 6
- Absentee Photo Day – Strawbride Studios will take photos for students who were absent on the original photo day
- Chess Club After School
Wednesday, November 7
- 2nd Grade -- Olbertz, Guay, and Sipek to Marbles Museum – Weather Wizard Presentation
Thursday, November 8
- 2nd Grade -- Steber, Taulman, Caldwell, and Swanson to Marbles Museum – Weather Wizard Presentation
Friday, November 9
- Report Cards to be sent home
Monday, November 12
- School Holiday – Veterans Day