February 3 Weekly Message
This Week at Pleasant Grove
National School Counselors Week, February 3 – 7
Kids Heart Challenge Week
Tuesday – 3rd Grade NC Check In Math Assessment
Wednesday – World Read Aloud Day
Thursday – 5th Grade NC Check In Science Assessment
Friday – 2nd Grade EL Literacy Celebration
Friday – Report Cards go home
Positivity Trait for the week: Supporting Others When They Struggle
World Read Aloud Day: Pleasant Grove will celebrate World Read Aloud Day on February 5. This is a day where people across the globe read aloud and share stories to promote literacy. We are looking for volunteers to participate in this event. To sign up and help visit this link: bit.ly/pgesread2020
National School Counselors Week: On behalf of the students and staff members of Pleasant Grove we share thanks and appreciation to the work that our school counselor, Ms. Hines, provides the school.
Kids Heart Challenge Week: This service project supports the American Heart Association. Families can make contributions online by clicking this link or students can return donations to the Gym on Tuesday, Wednesday, or Thursday mornings between 8:45 AM – 9:10 AM.
Wake Up & Read Book Drive: Students are collecting new and gently-used books for children ages birth to 12. The goal of this service project is to collect at least 300 books. Families can send in donated books to their child’s classroom teacher.
School Tours: Families with children who will begin Kindergarten in August 2020 are encouraged to sign up for a school tour. Our next tour will be Friday, February 7, at 9:45 AM. Click here for information.
Heart Healthy February: On Friday, February 14, Pleasant Grove families and students are invited to come sample a new smoothie that is being considered for the school cafeteria. Join Coach Hager and others as we try samples of this heart healthy treat. Samples will be offered during breakfast from 8:45 AM – 9:15 AM.
Upcoming PTA Events:
- Thursday, February 20--Noodles & Co. Family Night, 4-8 PM, @ Brier Creek
- Wednesday, March 4-- Kids Night @ The Coder School
- Friday, March 27--Spring Fling, 5PM – 9 PM: Games, DJ, Movies, Raffles, and more!
End-of-Grade (EOG) Test Dates: Mark your calendars
June 1: 5th grade Science EOG
June 2: 3rd grade Reading EOG
June 3: 3rd grade Math EOG
June 4: 4th/5th grades Reading EOG
June 5: 4th/5th grades Math EOG
June 9: 3rd grade Read To Achieve Test
Lost & Found: Families are encouraged to write their child’s name on their jackets, bookbags, lunch boxes, water bottles, and gloves so that it is easier for kids to find any missing items. Lost and found items are located in the cafeteria.
Yearbooks: Order a yearbook for your child now for $30. Use this link to reserve a copy.
- Pokemon, Beyblade, Nintendo, wireless headphones, electronic games, and other toys should stay at home. Items brought to school will be kept in the school office until a parent comes to school to pick them up.
- If your child is absent, please send a written note to school when he/she returns.
- Early checkout for students ends at 3:15 PM. If you need to check your child out early, please do so before 3:15 PM.
- The contact number for WCPSS Bus Transportation is 919-805-3030. Each afternoon we post bus departure times on our school bus twitter @pgesbuses.
After School Clubs this Week
Mad Science – Tuesdays, 3:45 PM – 5:15 PM
Theater Club – Wednesdays, 4:00 PM – 5:15 PM
Girls on the Run – Tuesdays/Thursdays, 4:00 PM – 5:15 PM
First Tee Golf – For students in grades 1-5. Starts Wednesday, February 26. Click this link for details about First Tee.
Burt Batten, Principal