January 7 Weekly Message
This Week at Pleasant Grove:
- Jump Rope for Heart service program begins
- Mid-year mClass reading assessments begin for students
- The Positivity Character Trait for this week is Gratitude.
mClass Reading Assessments: Students in grades K-3 will meet one on one with a teacher to complete these assessments. They focus on how students can identify the basic elements for knowing letters and decoding words at the beginner level in Kindergarten and then extend to assess how accurately and fluently students can read texts in higher levels in the following grades. Students in grades 1-3 also answer comprehension questions to assess their understanding. Students in grades 3-5 will read a passage that is missing words and select appropriate words that fit within the context of the passage. Parents will receive a report about their child’s progress once all assessments are completed in several weeks.
Supporting Students Progress: Our awesome students are demonstrating growth with academics and character. In December PGES students and families led a Food Drive to contribute non-perishable items to the Inter-Faith Food Shuttle. 450 pounds of food were collected from Pleasant Grove, enough to provide 375 meals for children in the community. Thank you all for contributing to this service project!
PTA Family Events: Visit the PTA website to learn more about these fun events.
January 17 -- Family Night at Schianos Pizza, 5-9 PM
January 25 -- Family Night at Warrior Tech Gym, 6 -10 PM
Book Drive: We’ve collected 40 books already! The book drive will run until February 15. Donations of new and gently-used books for children ages birth to 12 are welcomed. Students can send in donated books to their classroom teacher.
Health & Wellness: If your child has a fever of 100 or higher, nausea, vomiting, or diarrhea, then she should stay home. Students must be fever free for 24 hours and free of symptoms for vomiting and diarrhea for 12 hours – without medication – before returning to school.
- All families who have children who will turn 5 before August 30 are encouraged to register their child for school. Families can start the registration process online. Click here for more details.
- Early checkout for students ends at 3:15 PM.
- If a Lunch Box, homework, glasses, project, or other item of a student has been forgotten at home and is brought to school by a parent, please leave it in the office.
- Lost & Found is located in the cafeteria.
Wednesday PM: Theater Club
Friday AM: 5th Grade Art Club