Return to Headlines

7th Grade Immunization Requirements


North Carolina law (since 2015) requires Tdap and Meningococcal vaccines for entry into 7th grade.
DDMS must have a copy of your physician's record of these vaccines. If you have any questions, please contact Student Services at 919-233-4229 ext. 24034.  

What does Tdap vaccine do?

Tdap vaccine protects your child against whooping cough (pertussis), tetanus (lock jaw) and diphtheria. These three diseases can make your child very sick. Some children die from them.
What does Meningococcal vaccine do?
Meningococcal vaccine protects your child against 4 types of meningococcal disease. Meningococcal disease can cause blood infections and meningitis (an infection of the fluid around the brain and spinal cord). These diseases can make your child very sick. Some children die from them.
What do I need to do?
  • Talk to your child’s doctor to find out if your child needs Tdap or Meningococcal vaccine.
  • Make sure your child gets the vaccines they need before they start 7th grade.
  • Get a copy of your child’s shot record to take to school.
  • While at the doctor, make sure your child is up to date on other vaccines and their yearly check up.
Where can my child get these vaccines?
Your child’s doctor or health care provider.
If your child does not have a health care provider, call a Wake County Human Services location:
Fuquay Varina
Southern Regional Center
130 North Judd Parkway
Call 919 - 212 - 7000 and ask for an appointment at the Southern Regional Center.
Wake Forest
Northern Regional Center
350 E. Holding Avenue Call
Call 919 - 562 - 6300 for an appointment.
Public Health Center
10 Sunnybrook Road 
Call 919 - 250 - 3900 for an appointment.
Eastern Regional Center
1002 Dogwood Lane 
Call 919 - 404 - 3900 for an appointment.