October 14, 2022
Good afternoon, this is Steve Mares, Principal of Athens Drive Magnet High School, with a message for Friday, October 14th. A copy of this message will be posted on our school website (www.wcpss.net/athensdrivehs), emailed to our students, and emailed and texted to our school families.
COLLEGE APPLICATION WEEK IS NEXT WEEK: We will celebrate College Application Week next week from Monday, October 17th through Friday, October 21st! Please know that every day after school students can come to the Media Center with their computers to receive assistance on their college applications from our staff. College Application Week is specific to North Carolina, and is a week that students can apply to a number of North Carolina Colleges for FREE (full list here https://www.cfnc.org/media/v5znwqly/c2c-nc-college-application-fees.pdf)! We plan activities during the week to assist students with this process and help our students think about their options for life after The Drive when they Graduate! Please contact Ms. Huber (email@example.com) in Student Services for more details!
COLLEGE APPLICATION WEEK ACTIVITIES: College Application Week begins on Monday, October 17th! Please know that we have many activities to promote this week:
- College Trivia: Each day (Monday, October 18th through Friday, October 22nd) during our Second Period announcements, a College trivia question will be announced. All students are invited to answer the trivia question and place their answer in the prize jar which will be located outside of Student Services. One winner will be drawn each day. Prizes will be provided by the PTSA for each day’s winner.
- College Foundation of North Carolina (CFNC) Support: During Drive Time on Tuesday, we will be working with all students to ensure they have signed up for a cfnc.org account.
- College Application Support: Every day after school next week, staff will be available to help students complete college applications, complete essays, and support them in pursuing their college aspirations.
- Career Fair: During both Lunches on Wednesday, October 19th, we will be holding a Career Fair in the Gym/Auditorium Lobby to provide various guests opportunities to share potential options for our students after they Graduate.
- College Panel: During both Lunches on Friday, we will be holding a College Panel. We have scheduled the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, North Carolina State University, and potentially a few other Universities that we are awaiting a firm commitment.
- College Spirit Week: Students and staff are all encouraged to participate in our College Application Week Spirit Week. Monday will be “Our Future Is Bright” Day, as we celebrate all the great things we have ahead of us by wearing neon or bright colored clothing. Tuesday is “Roommate” Day and students can find a friend (or a few) and coordinate outfits. Wednesday is “Dress To Impress” Day and students can dress in their snazziest attire and step into school with their best foot forward. Thursday is “Athlete” Day and students can come dressed in their favorite College, High School, or Pro gear. Even if students aren’t planning on playing sports in College, keeping active is great for everyone. Friday is “College Pride” Day and students are encouraged to dress in College gear or colors.
This is an exciting week as we help not only our Seniors, but all students set goals and think about where they want to be and what they want to do once they Graduate from Athens Drive!
COLLEGES VISITING ATHENS DRIVE: Please know that we have College representatives throughout the school year come to Athens Drive to meet with students and share information about their school. Often times, the representatives that come to Athens Drive are individuals who help make acceptance decisions, so it is beneficial for our students to meet with them. Next week we have the University of North Carolina at Greensboro during B Lunch on Monday, Meredith College during A Lunch on Tuesday, Warren Wilson College during B Lunch on Tuesday, East Carolina University during A Lunch on Wednesday, and Gardner Webb University during B Lunch on Wednesday. Please remember that on our Student Services College Visits webpage on the Athens Drive Magnet High School website, there is a calendar of Colleges and Universities who are schedule to be on campus to provide information to our students. If students have any questions about Colleges and Universities visiting our campus, they can visit our Student Services office to receive answers to their questions.
NEW SAT ADMINISTRATION DAY IS NEXT SATURDAY, OCTOBER 15TH: Please know that the SAT that was originally scheduled for Saturday, October 1st, but was cancelled due to inclement weather, has been rescheduled. The new SAT Administration for October will be held next Saturday, October 15th. Students can get the Saturday, October 15h SAT Information on our website.
WINTER ATHLETIC SEASON IS ABOUT TO BEGIN: Winter Sports are right around the corner! Please read through all the information below to get ready for the Winter Sports Season:
- Winter Tryouts: Tryouts for the 2022 Winter Season will begin on Monday, October 31st. Sports that will complete in the Winter season include Men's Basketball, Women's Basketball, Cheerleading, Swimming, Wrestling, and Winter Track. If you have a student athlete interested in any of these sports, please contact the Head Coach of the sport so you can get added to their communication group. You can find the email address for all our Head Coaches here.
- Athlete Registration: All Registration for all sports this year will take place via the DragonFly platform. Please get your athlete's medical paperwork and permission slips loaded on the platform as soon as possible. The approval process does take up to a week, so don't wait until the last minute to get Registered. You can find the Registration link here and directions on how to complete the process here.
- Live Streaming: We will be offering live streaming again in the 2022 – 2023 school year through the NFHS Network. You can purchase the live streaming package by visiting the WCPSS Live Streaming Website and clicking on “Athens Drive.”
- Sports Passes: Sports Passes are back in 2022 – 2023! Sports passes will allow admission to all home Athens Drive Athletic events, except for playoff games. Sports passes are going to be entirely digital through the GoFAN platform. You can purchase sports passes here.
I look forward to a great Winter Athletic season!
MARCHING BAND CONTINUES TO REPRESENT ATHENS DRIVE IN POSITIVE WAYS: Our Marching Band will be performing tonight at our Home Football game versus Leesville High School. Tomorrow, the Band will travel to a Competition at Western Alamance High School on Saturday evening. Next Wednesday morning, our Marching Band will be performing for the Military Day Parade at the North Carolina State Fair. Finally, next Saturday, October 22nd, our Marching Band will be competing at Greene Central High School. I am proud of the hard work our Marching Band puts in and the incredible way they represent The Drive at all times!
MARCHING BAND FRUIT AND NUT FUNDRAISER: The 2022 Band Fruit and Nut Sale has begun! Fresh and delicious Florida grown citrus, and apples delivered to you by our friendly Band students! Orders may be placed online at https://adhsband.fwffb.net/products.asp. Proceeds from sales support both individual students and the Band's General Fund, which allows our Band to continue bringing beautiful music to our school and our community! Orders may be placed through Tuesday, November 1st online. Order pick up will be on Friday, December 9th, just in time for Holiday gift giving! Thank you for your support of our Band!
POWDERPUFF GAME: Our Athens Drive Student Government is sponsoring our Annual Charity PowderPuff game on Wednesday, November 2nd, beginning at 6:00 p.m. in Jaguar Stadium. The Classes will face-off in Flag Football with our Ladies playing Football and our Gentlemen are the Cheerleaders! Admission is $5.00 cash at the gate with all proceeds going to benefit the SPCA of Wake County (we hope to break last year's record donation of $1,108.00, so please come support this great cause and have some fun doing it!). PowderPuff is open to every student and the cost to play football is $20.00/per person (this fee can be paid on the school's website by going to the Online Payment System). The $20.00 fee covers the cost of the Class Shirt, Mouthguard, and paying our Officials. New this year, we will be offering shirts for the Coaches, Cheerleaders, and anyone who wants to support this event. These shirts are going to cost $10.00 each, and can also be paid for using the Online Payment System (just look for PowderPuff Support Staff Shirt in the Online Payment System). Participants will need to complete a Registration Packet in addition to paying the $20.00 fee online. All registrations must be completed by 3:00 p.m. on Friday, October 21st. Please complete the Registration Packet prior to the deadline if you are interested in participating. If you have any questions, please contact our Student Government Advisors, Mr. Remaley (firstname.lastname@example.org) or Ms. Lassiter (email@example.com).
PTSA FALL CLEAN UP DAY AT ATHENS DRIVE: Our PTSA Gardens and Grounds Committee is hosting a Fall Clean Up Day to spruce up our campus for the Fall. On Saturday, October 22nd, from 9:00 a.m. until 12:00 p.m., rain or shine, student and family volunteers are needed to help clean up around campus. This is a great opportunity for students to earn Service Hours! Please review the Fall Clean Up Day Sign-Up Genius to see how you can help! Thank you for your efforts to support this clean-up project!
2022 – 2023 REFLECTIONS THEME: The 2022 – 2023 Reflections Theme is: "Show Your Voice." I hope our students have fun unleashing their inner artist with our PTA Reflections contest! This year’s theme, “Show Your Voice,” calls for their own unique interpretation through the Arts. Categories include Dance, Film, Literature, Music, Photography, and Visual Arts. Visit the National PTA’s Reflections Information site to learn more about the Reflections program. The entry deadline for our Reflections contest is Monday, October 31st. Click on our PTSA Reflections Information webpage link for the submission guidelines and entry form. I look forward to seeing the incredible talent of our students reflected in their submissions!
FALL PLAY: Rehearsals are currently underway for our Fall Play, Grim & Gruesome Grimm. With over forty students involved, this dark fairy tale is sure to enchant mature audiences. Make sure to mark your calendars for Wednesday, November 2nd or Thursday, November 3rd and join us for a spectacular end of spooky season performance at 7:30 p.m. each night in our Auditorium! Tickets are $7.00 and will be sold at the door or online via the Theatre website. We hope to see you there...if you dare!
SPRING MUSICAL: Oh, the thinks you can think! The Athens Drive Theatre Department has announced that the Spring Musical will be Seussical! In this colorful reimagination, some of our favorite Dr. Seuss characters (including Horton the Elephant, The Cat in the Hat, Gertrude McFuzz, and more!), will transport audiences to the magical worlds of the Jungle of Nool, the Circus McGurkus, and the invisible world of the Whos. The familiar characters will remind us of the power that is found when friendship, loyalty, family, and community are challenged but emerge triumphant. Seussical will be fun for the entire family and, for the first time in a long time, we will feature a Saturday Matinee for those with early bedtimes! For students interested in being a part of the Musical, audition and crew application information will be rolling out over the next few weeks. Keep an eye on the Theatre website (www.athensdrivetheatre.org) for more information.
CLOSING THOUGHTS AND TAKE CARE: I know we all have heavy hearts over the senseless violence in Raleigh last night. Please know that all of us at The Drive care immensely about our students, and while our hearts are broken over the loss of lives (one of the victims was a mother and former Athens Drive Graduate), we continue to want to be sure we serve our students and help them through these unbelievable tragedies. If your student needs any support, please have them reach out to us. I am thankful to have a school family that is committed to our students. Thank you for all you do to help us maintain a safe, inclusive school family and for working with us to ensure the safety and well-being of our students. Please continue to check the Athens Drive website (www.wcpss.net/athensdrivehs) for general information and to help you stay informed. As always, please continue to be safe, and take care of yourselves, your loved ones, and each other. GO JAGS!
REMINDER ANNOUNCEMENTS FROM PREVIOUS WEEKLY MESSAGES:
ACCESSING TEACHER/COURSE INFORMATION: To best support the academic success of our students, every teacher has created a Learning Management System in Canvas. Students and families can access these resources by finding their teacher on our Faculty Directory on the Athens Drive Magnet High School website. Students who are out of school due to absences must utilize this resource to stay up-to-date with class assignments and resources.
LUNCH TIME TUTORING: To support the academic needs of our students, we have students and teachers available to tutor students in all subject areas during Lunch. Every Tuesday and Thursday, during both “A” and “B” Lunches, students can receive help in subjects where they may be struggling. “A” Lunch tutoring happens in Room 2616 and “B” Lunch tutoring happens in Room 2714. This is a great opportunity for our students to receive help during the school day to support their learning.
GRADUATION DATE FINALIZED FOR THE CLASS OF 2023!! I am happy to announce that our Graduation Ceremony for the Class of 2023 will be held on Saturday, June 10th, 2022, beginning at 12:00 p.m. at the Raleigh Convention Center! I look forward to celebrating the accomplishments of this incredible Class at our Commencement Exercises! Seniors, and their families, please also know that we will be holding a MANDATORY Graduation Rehearsal at Athens Drive on Thursday, May 25th, beginning at 7:25 a.m. in the Main Gym.
IT IS NOT TOO LATE TO JOIN THE SENIOR REMIND GROUP: As we discussed in our Senior Class meeting this week, we need our Seniors (and their families) to stay connected to EVERYTHING Senior related. We do not want our Seniors or Senior families to miss anything related to their Senior Year. To make this happen, we need all Seniors and their families to join the Senior Remind message group today! If you are using the Remind App, then enter the class code: @theremaley. If you are not using the App and prefer a text message, then text the message: @theremaley to the number: 81010. Mr. Remaley, the Senior Class Advisor, will use this source to get important Senior information to our Seniors and their Senior families daily at 2:30 p.m. The reply option on Remind is NOT turned on so if you have questions, please email Mr. Remaley (firstname.lastname@example.org). Please be sure to sign up TODAY and do not miss a thing from Senior Year!
SENIOR EXAM EXEMPTION: For the 2022 – 2023 school year, once again, Seniors can be exempt from Non-State Mandated Final Exams and Field Tests based on the following criteria: Students who have a Final Course Grade of “C” or higher are eligible to be exempt from Final Exams. Absences will not be considered in determining Senior Exemption status for the 2022 – 2023 school year.
SENIORGRAM IS NOW AVAILABLE: Please know that we have posted our SeniorGram with important dates and information for Seniors and their families. Thank you for marking these important dates down so that our Seniors have a fantastic finish to their High School career!
SENIORS ARE REQUIRED TO HAVE THE MENINGOCOCCAL BOOSTER VACCINATION: North Carolina law requires all rising 12th Grade students to receive a Meningococcal Vaccine Booster before starting 12th Grade. Please know that the vaccination must be done before the 2022 – 2023 school year begins. Families will need to provide a copy of their student’s immunization record showing proof that the Meningococcal Vaccine has been completed prior to the first day of school. This is a 2-dose immunization; the 1st dose was required in the 7th Grade in the WCPSS. Please click here for more information. If you have any questions, please contact Ms. Carrillo, our Data Manager, at email@example.com, contact our Student Services Department at 919-233-4050, or fax your immunization updates to 919-670-4457. Thank you for taking care of this required vaccine!
SCHOLARSHIP BULLETIN: Seniors should already be signed up for Mr. Grabiec’s Scholarship Remind message, as we covered this in our Class Meeting and during Drive Time. In addition, please see our Scholarship Bulletin for additional Scholarships available for students.
SENIOR RECOGNITION ADS IN YEARBOOK: Senior Recognition Ads are available to purchase. Please celebrate your Seniors and reserve a space in the Yearbook for a personal message and photos to recognize your student’s achievements. All purchase information is available on the Yearbook website. Please note that your Senior Recognition Ad purchase INCLUDES a Yearbook, so there is no need to purchase a Yearbook as well. Senior Recognition Ad spaces will be available for purchase until Monday, November 14th. If you have any questions, please contact Ms. Luna, our Yearbook Advisor, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
DOING SOMETHING FANTASTIC TO BE FEATURED IN THE YEARBOOK? Our Yearbook staff is always looking for events and students to feature and write about. From starting their own business, excelling in a sport off-campus, volunteerism, and being driven in their passions, out students are amazing! If you think your student would like to be in the Yearbook for something they have done or for something in which they are exceptional, please let our Yearbook staff know. Contact forms around being featured are linked on the Yearbook website.
PURCHASE A YEARBOOK: The Yearbook summer sale continues through Friday, August 26th. The Yearbook will be available to purchase for $65.00 during the current sale time. After Friday, August 26th, the Yearbook price will return to its normal Fall price of $75.00 until late September. Yearbooks can be purchased from the Yearbook website https://athensdriveyearbook.weebly.com/ throughout the school year. Last year, our Yearbooks sold out before delivery, so please purchase early to ensure you have a copy. If you have questions, contact Ms. Luna, our Yearbook Advisor, at email@example.com.
PLEASE USE OUR CARPOOL LANE INSTEAD OF OUR JUNIOR AND SENIOR PARKING LOTS: I would ask that all families who are carpooling our students please use the Carpool Lane we have established in the entrance to our campus from Avent Ferry Road. We are finding that there are many families who are using our Junior and Senior Parking Lots in the back of school off Jaguar Park Drive to pick-up their students and that is causing considerable congestion for our Juniors and Seniors who are trying to leave campus. Thank you for being considerate of our Juniors and Seniors and not creating additional traffic and congestion in our Junior and Senior Parking Lots.
STUDENTS LEAVING CAMPUS FOR LUNCH: As we are discussing in our Class Meetings, Juniors and Seniors who have an approved Off-Campus Lunch Pass are the only students who may leave campus for Lunch. A Junior or Senior student cannot leave campus during lunch without having an authorized Off-Campus Lunch Pass. Freshmen and Sophomores are NEVER allowed to leave campus during the school day, unless on an approved school trip. If a Junior or Senior would like to purchase a Lunch Pass (the cost is $10.00 for the year), please visit the Off-Campus Lunch Pass Google Form we have created located on the Athens Drive Magnet High School website to complete the Application. Thank you for your support in ensuring our students do the right thing and stay on campus during Lunch.
STUDENTS MUST HAVE A VALID PARKING PASS TO PARK ON CAMPUS: I would like to ask all students and parents to help us ensure that only those students who have a valid Parking Pass park on campus. Please understand that any student who parks on campus must have a Parking Pass and park only in their assigned area. It is important for us to know who is parking on campus and have parent permission for students to drive and park on campus. We will begin to ticket students who are parking on campus without having a valid Parking Pass to park on campus. Please also understand that Athens does not retain any of the money collected for the Parking Passes—the money collected for Parking Passes goes directly to Wake County Public School System (WCPSS) and pays for our Security Officer on Campus who patrols the outside of the school. If a student wants to purchase a Parking Pass, they can still purchase one. Students interested in securing a Parking pass for the 2021 – 2022 school year should carefully read and follow the guidelines on the application. To complete the Parking Pass Application process, please complete the On-Line Parking Registration.
ARRIVAL AND DISMISSAL ON CAMPUS: Please know that we have several different areas on campus to support the safe arrival and dismissal of our students. You can visit our Transportation Information section on our website to get additional information and maps on where to drop-off and pick-up our students. Please know the following information:
- Special Transportation Arrival and Dismissal: The entrance to our campus off Athens Drive is only for students who require Special Transportation to get to school each day. Families who have students who have special needs may use this entrance as well. This entrance is NOT to be used for our general carpool students.
- Carpool Arrival: Please remember that ALL carpool arrival is handled through our Carpool Loop in the Carpool Parking Lot through the entrance from Avent Ferry Road. If you are planning on leaving to turn Right on Avent Ferry, please enter the Parking Lot from Avent Ferry Road and be in the Left Hand Lane to drive all the way up the Carpool Parking Lot and around the semi-circle at the top of the Parking Lot. Please pull all the way up to the end of the semi-circle and stop and drop your student off. If you are planning on leaving to turn onto Athens Drive, please enter the Parking Lot from Avent Ferry Road and be in the Right Hand Lane to drop your student off and then turn right to drive to the Exit to Athens Drive. Please be sure that your student is ready to exit the car as you come to a stop to expedite the carpool process. Students can begin exiting their vehicles at 6:45 a.m. to enter our school. Please remember that students should be dropped off in the morning with enough time for them to be in class, ready for learning at 7:25 a.m. Please also remember to not drop your student off at any other location around campus or along either Avent Ferry Road or Athens Drive. Thank you for helping us ensure the safety and well-being of our students.
- Carpool Dismissal: In the afternoon, we will also use our Carpool Loop in the Carpool Parking Lot that is accessible through the entrance from Avent Ferry Road. I would ask that when you arrive you drive all the way around the Parking Lot and pull up almost to the Exit of the Parking Lot. Cars will line-up in two single file lines, staying to the right and left of the middle of the Parking Lot so that cars can pass in between to Exit. As soon as cars begin to back up through the semi-circle, we will begin two lines to help us keep cars off Avent Ferry Road and traffic flowing. As students are picked up, we will move the cars forward to keep the Carpool line moving. Once your student has been seated in your car, you can move to the left lane and careful drive to the exit of the Carpool Parking Lot. Please be safe and aware of your surroundings as you drive through Carpool to ensure the safety of our students and each other!
- Bus Transportation: If your student will be riding the bus to school, students and families that have transportation eligible bus riders can find our new Bus Routes for the 2022 – 2023 school year posted on the Bus Routes page of our website. Please find the intersection nearest your residence and that will be your bus stop. Please be familiar with your bus route and plan to get to your bus stop at least 20 minutes early. Wake County Public School System will also share your student’s transportation route, stop, and estimated bus arrival time on-line in PowerSchool. In addition, please understand that due to a shortage of Bus Drivers, we will have several “double back” routes; meaning that one bus will run two routes each morning and afternoon to pick-up and drop-off our students. Thank you for your support.
NEW ASSISTANT PRINCIPAL AND COUNSELORS: It is my pleasure to introduce new Counselors and an Assistant Principal who have joined our school family! Here are the names and break-down of the Alphabet for our Administrators and Counselors for this year:
A – Cl
Co – Ha
He – Mc
Me – Sam
San – Z
PLACES FOR STUDENTS TO EAT LUNCH ON CAMPUS: Please know that ONLY Juniors and Seniors with an approved Lunch Pass are allowed to leave campus for Lunch. Sophomores and Freshmen are NEVER allowed to leave campus during the school day, unless on an approved school trip. Student who remain on campus to eat Lunch have multiple options for where to sit during Lunch. Students can eat in the Cafeteria, the Gym/Auditorium Lobby, the Courtyard, the cement area outside of the Gym/Auditorium Lobby, use the Basketball Courts behind the Lower Gym, and hang out in the open area outside of the Lower Gym. It is my expectation that students exhibit positive behavior as they eat Lunch or hangout in these areas.
JUINIORS AND SENIORS LEAVING CAMPUS FOR LUNCH: Juniors and Seniors who have an approved Off-Campus Lunch Pass are the only students who may leave campus for lunch. A Junior or Senior student cannot leave campus during Lunch without having an authorized Off-Campus Lunch Pass. Freshmen and Sophomores are NEVER allowed to leave campus during the school day, unless on an approved school trip. If a Junior or Senior would like to purchase a Lunch Pass (the cost is $10.00 for the year), please visit the Off-Campus Lunch Pass Information on our website. Finally, please remember that students must have cleared all fees or fines they have, as an Off-Campus Lunch pass will not be issued if the student has any outstanding fees or fines owed.
WHAT LUNCH DO I HAVE? “A” LUNCH OR “B” LUNCH? A student can determine if they have “A” Lunch or “B” Lunch depending on what course they have Third Period. If a student has an Arts, English, Math, Occupational Course of Study, Social Studies, or Special Education class, then the student will have “A” Lunch. That means the student will go to First Period, then Second Period, then Lunch, then Third Period, and then Fourth Period. If a student has a CTE, English as a Second Language, GradPoint, Physical Education/Healthful Living, Science, or World Languages class, then the student will have “B” Lunch. That means the student will go to First Period, then Second Period, then Third Period, then Lunch, and then Fourth Period.
ATTENDANCE INFORMATION: We are continuing to implement new procedures for Student Check-In and Check-Out and are working to go as paperless as possible with regards to our Attendance procedures. I would ask that school families please use our Attendance-Specific email address (firstname.lastname@example.org) to send any communication regarding Attendance. Any emails from parents/guardians, doctor’s offices, etc. need to be sent to that email address. In addition, when a parent/guardian comes to school to check-out or check-in a student, the parent/guardian will be using a QR Code that we have posted on the Front Door of the school to complete our process. As soon as the parent/guardian is done entering the information in the Google Doc, we will contact the student’s teacher and the student will come to the Front Doors of the school for Check-Out. Please remember that for safety reasons, there are no student Check-Outs allowed after 1:45 p.m. Thank you for your understanding and patience as we implement these new procedures!
PUBLIC LIBRARY WILL OPEN AT 4:00 P.M. EVERY AFTERNOON: Please know that the Wake County Public Library in our school will change its operational hours and will not open until 4:00 p.m. each afternoon. Students will not be able to remain on campus to wait for the Public Library to open. Thank you for your understanding for the safety of our students and staff with regards to these Public Library operational hours.
CHANGE MADE TO OUR TRADITIONAL SCHOOL CALENDAR: In case you missed the news this week, the WCPSS Board of Education approved a “Calendar Out” day for all Calendars (except the Year-Round Calendar) on Tuesday, November 8th, Election Day. This means there will be no school for students on Tuesday, November 8th. Families can find the WCPSS Traditional Calendar for the year.
BEING A GOOD NEIGHBOR: As we begin a new school year, I would like to remind all our students and families to be respectful of our Athens Drive neighbors. Please remind your students to park legally, drive in a safe manner, throw trash away properly in trash cans, and use appropriate language as they walk, drive, and move around our school campus. We want to be responsible and respectful neighbors, and I ask that we all represent The Drive in only the highest manner. Thanks for helping to carry on over 40-year tradition of excellence both inside and outside of the classroom!
DRESS CODE: Parents, I would like to enlist your support in helping us maintain appropriate dress at school. Wake County Public School System has a Dress Code Policy. Please be sure that students do not wear clothing that violates the dress code. Hats, hoodies, do-rags, and bandanas will also not be allowed to be worn on school grounds. Thank you for support in ensuring our students dress appropriately for teaching and learning every day!
VOLUNTEERING AT ATHENS DRIVE: Now that school family members and visitors are allowed in the building without COVID-19 restrictions, please remember that if you would like to volunteer at Athens Drive, or in any Wake County Public School System school, you must register prior to helping with any tutoring, office support, PTSA, Athletics, Band, Chorus, Theatre, or Club activity this school year. You can register to Volunteer at a computer in the Library during school hours. Please come to the front doors, buzz in, and let our Receptionist know you are here to register as a Volunteer. Thank you for your service and thank you for helping us maintain a safe school climate conducive to learning.
APPLYING FOR FREE AND REDUCED PRICE MEALS FOR THE 2022 – 2023 SCHOOL YEAR: Please know that Breakfast and Lunch will now be free to all students who are eligible for free and reduced-price meals for the 2022 – 2023 school year. Students must apply for free and reduced-price meals to obtain these benefits. Parents can complete a meal benefits application online at https://www.myschoolapps.com/. Paper applications also are available at all schools. More information can be found at WCPSS Free & Reduced Meals. Thank you for taking care of this important responsibility so that we can ensure that our eligible students can take advantage of this benefit.
SOCIAL MEDIA ACCOUNTS: Athens Drive Magnet High School has a variety of Social Media Accounts that students, staff, school families, and the community can follow to stay abreast of what is happening at The Drive. Here is an updated list:
- School Instagram: @AthensHSMagnet
- Student Services: @athensdrive_studentservices
- The Torch (Yearbook): @athens_torch
- The Oracle (Newspaper): @athensoracle
- ATV (Morning News Program): @atvjagnews
- Athens Athletics: @athensjags
- School Twitter: @AthensHSMagnet
- Student Services: @ADHSStudentSvcs
- PTSA: @AthensDrivePTSA
- The Torch (Yearbook): @athenstorch
- The Oracle (Newspaper): @athensoracle
- ATV (Morning News Program): @atvjagnews
- Athens Athletics: @athensjags
- Athens Drive Student Government: @ADHSExecBoard
- STEM Academy: @AthensSTEM
- Health Science Career Academy: @ADHS_HSA
- Athens Career Corner: @ADHCareercorner
- School Facebook: Athens Drive Magnet High School
- Athletics: https://www.facebook.com/Athens-Athletics-108865961678322
- Senior Class Messages from Mr. Remaley, Senior Class Advisor: text to 81010 @theremaley
- Senior Scholarship Bulletin Information: https://www.remind.com/classes/mgrabiec/people#:~:text=remind.com/join/mgrabiec
ATHLETIC SPORTS PASSES: Athens Drive Athletics Sports Passes are now on sale for the 2022 – 2023 Athletic year! All passes this year will be Digital, via the GoFAN platform. We offer four levels of sports passes; Student Pass, Individual Pass, Family Pass, and Go Jags Family Pass. If you purchase a Go Jags Family Pass, a customized Paw Print on the sidewalk outside Jag Stadium is included with your package. To get the Paw Print painted prior to the Fall Season, please make sure you purchase your Athletic Sport Pass by Sunday, July 31st. If you have any questions regarding Athletic Sports Passes for the 2022 – 2023 Athletic year, please reach out to our Athletic Director, Coach Travis Seese (email@example.com). We are looking forward to a great athletic year!
TICKETS: Individual Game Tickets to all events this year are sold through the GoFan platform. Tickets for all events for the Fall season are posted on our GoFAN Platform Website and can be purchased anytime. In addition, we are accepting credit and debit cards at the gate this year. However, please understand that we will NOT be accepting cash at the gate, as all tickets must be purchased either through the GoFan Platform Website or with a credit/debit card at the gate.
SPORTSMANSHIP: For our 2022 – 2023 athletic season, a major focus of our Athletic program is to promote positive, competitive sportsmanship. When attending any game home or away, please remember you are representing Athens Drive and it is important to be a positive role model for our student athletes and school family! You can find our Fan Code of Conduct for all our athletic facilities HERE.
GAME TIMES: Please know that game times and dates will change throughout the year due to weather, referee requests, and other factors. Please make sure you are following us on Social Media to get up to date information regarding game changes and start times. You can find us on Twitter (@athensjags), Instagram (@athensjags), and Facebook. The standard start times for our events this fall are:
- Varsity Football: 7:00 p.m.
- JV Football: 6:30 p.m.
- Varsity Soccer: 6:30 p.m.
- JV Soccer: 4:30 p.m.
- Volleyball: JVB- 4:00 p.m., JVA: 5:00 p.m., and Varsity: 6:00 p.m.
- Tennis: 3:30 p.m.
- Cross Country and Gymnastics: Vary by Event
ATHLETIC SPONSORSHIP: One of the ways we raise funds to support our Athletic Department at Athens Drive is by selling Sponsorships to local businesses. If you own a company or work at a company that would be interested in sponsoring Athens Drive Athletics, please contact Coach Travis Seese, our Athletic Director, at firstname.lastname@example.org. Our Sponsorship Levels link provides information on Sponsorships. Thank you for your help in finding ways to continue to fund our Athletic Department programs!
JAGUAR PAW PRINTS: Jaguar Paw Prints are on sale again this year for the athlete recognition paws that lead up to Jaguar Stadium. If you purchase a Go Jags Family Pass, it is included with your Pass membership fee. However, if you would like to order a Paw Print separately, please fill out this Paw Print form and we will send more information to you on how to purchase the Paw Print for the 2022 – 2023 school year.
LIVE STREAMING OF EVENTS IN OUR GYMNASIUM AND JAGUAR STADIUM: We will be offering Live Streaming again this school year through the NFHS Network. You can purchase the Live Streaming package by visiting the WCPSS Live Streaming Website and clicking on Athens Drive.
JAG CLUB VOLUNTEERS: We are looking for volunteers for our Athletic Booster Club that provides support for our Athletic Teams at Athens Drive. If you are interested in volunteering with the Jag Club, please contact our Athletic Director, Coach Seese at email@example.com and/or Richelle Laskey at firstname.lastname@example.org.
JAG CLUB FACEBOOK GROUPS: The JAG Club has created Facebook groups for each Class to provide parents/guardians with up-to-date information regarding what is going on regarding Athens Drive Athletics as well other information. If you would like to join one of the JAG Club’s Facebook groups, please click on the appropriate links:
Page Monitor: Richelle Laskey email@example.com
Senior Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/Athens-Drive-Sophomore-Parents-100112738558727
Page Monitor: Aylin Gay firstname.lastname@example.org
Junior Facebook pages: http://www.facebook.com/groups/athensclassof2024/
Page Monitor: Karen Taylor email@example.com
Sophomore Facebook pages: https://www.facebook.com/groups/520790015923241/?ref=share
Page Monitor: Lori Airee firstname.lastname@example.org
Freshman Page: https://m.facebook.com/groups/1436009150248819/?ref=share_group_link