06.04.23 Principal Hokenberg's Message
June 4, 2023
Davis Drive Middle Families
The final week of the 22/23 school has arrived. What a year it has been. Since we have a pretty busy week upon us, I will save my wax poetic speech for my final message of the year. Please find a few pieces of information that will help ensure the final week of the school year is one of celebration and community. Please have conversations with your students about finishing strong and making good choices. There is nothing like the last week of school, surrounded by 1,000 middle schoolers. I know this year will end in the same way we have spent the last 35 weeks. Please take a moment to review all of the information below. If you have any grade-level-specific questions, please reach out to your grade-level administrator. As always, you can also reach out with any questions (email@example.com).
22/23 National Spelling Bee Championship
We want to take a moment to recognize and celebrate our NC Spelling Bee Champion, Ms. Ananya Prassanna on her outstanding performance in this year’s Scripps National Spelling Bee this past week. Ananya finished in the top 100 in the NATION. Congratulations, Ananya, we are all so very proud of you!!
EOG/EOC Testing Information and Reports
Our students did a wonderful job this year during the initial testing window. They worked hard, appeared to have tried their best, and are certainly happy that the tests are over. If your child missed an EOG/EOC this week, they will take the exam during the makeup window starting on Monday. The county has also shared messaging with families regarding the Individual Student Reports (ISR) that will be available for all students at some point during June. These reports will be directly loaded into your child’s Powerschool accounts. I will send an additional message to all families once the state loads the scores into the system.
EOG/EOC Test Remediation and Re-Administration
On Monday, Administration will be communicating with students that have qualified for the remediation/re-administration in one or more EOG/EOC. Families will then complete a form to opt-in to the remediation/re-administration on Monday 6/12 and Tuesday, 6/13.
8th-Grade Moving Up Ceremony
We are excited about recognizing our 8th graders on Thursday, June 8 @ 9 am. Please refer to the communication sent by Mr. Ganoe on Friday. June 2, or click HERE for more information.
We have only a few yearbooks remaining. If your child is interested in purchasing a yearbook, please have them report to the main office. Once supplies are gone, we will no longer be offering for the 22/23 school year.
Student Chromebook Updates
- Students withdrawing from WCPSS must return their Chromebook on or before their last day of school.
- Students in grade 8 will return their assigned Chromebook and charger on June 5. These students will receive new Chromebooks at the beginning of their grade 9 school year. Students who do not return their devices will not receive a new device at the start of next year.
- All other students (grades 6 and 7) will keep their assigned Chromebook through the transition to the 2023-24 school year, even if they are transferring to another WCPSS school.
- Contact Mrs. Metoyer (firstname.lastname@example.org) with any questions.
Students Not Planning to Return for the 23/24 School Year
Students that are not planning on returning for the 23/24 school year, please send an email to our Data Manager, Ms. Cruikshank (email@example.com) stating as such. Since school allocation is done on an enrollment basis, this information is critical to the successful planning of the school. Year. We thank you in advance.
DDMS Good Things
Thank you all for your participation in our DDMS Good Things!! It has been wonderful to read all of the outstanding things our students are doing inside and outside of the DDMS.
- Saanvi Kumar: “Saanvi, Great Job on completing your EOGS! I know darling that this year was tough with having 3 EOGS, but you rocked it. You have worked so hard this year that Mom and Dad couldn't be prouder than we are. You are a smart, hardworking, advocate, and a person who always brings smiles to anyone. You are our CHAMPION! We are so proud. Love you baccha!” Mom and Dad
- Ms. Thomson: “Ms. Thomson, your poster on 6/1 in the morning carpool was amazing! As a parent and former school counselor, seeing “I BELIEVE IN YOU” means the absolute world! That’s all we need” Anonymous
PTA May Updates
Appreciation for the Staff of DDMS
The PTA is excited to offer one final opportunity to express our appreciation for the wonderful staff at Davis Drive Middle. A parent has set up a GiftCrowd page for all staff. (Click HERE) Giftcrowd is a free service (no fees for parents or teachers) that will aggregate funds that families give in any amount into a pool that teachers and staff members can use to purchase gift cards from hundreds of vendors.
Since each student has so many teachers, this is a great way for parents to give a token of their appreciation that can turn into a meaningful gift to a store of the teacher's choice. As you give (use the button below), please don't forget to also write a quick note to your children's specialist, custodians, cafeteria workers, and aides! This site will be open through June 9th. A special note of appreciation to Jennifer Evangelist for setting all this up! Thank you all for your generosity in wishing our DDMS staff a wonderful summer break.
Final PTA Board Meeting of the Year
On Monday, June 5th at 7 pm, the PTA will hold its final board meeting of the school year. This meeting will be held virtually. Your attendance is strongly encouraged, and welcome. A new board will be elected and a budget for the new school year will be voted on. Here is the google meet link for the meeting. Google Meet Link