August 1, 2021 Principal Message
Hello Patriot Families!
We welcome all Track 4 and Virtual Academy students this week, and we wish Track 3 a safe, wonderful track out. Our Extended Learning/Camp WCPSS students from Track 3 will also join us this week. Here are this week’s reminders:
Carpool: Just a reminder that we will have families navigating carpool for the first time as Track 4 returns on Monday. Please be patient. Guidelines are listed in the previous reminders section for our new Track 4 families.
PTA: The next PTA meeting is Tuesday, August 3, at 7:00pm via Google Meet. Request the link by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
Technology Updates: WCPSS is in the process of moving our district to 1:1 devices. Students will be eligible for a new device every four years. This year we will distribute Chromebooks to students who have never been issued a device or to students whose device is outdated (older than four years). If you are contacted about receiving a device, please pick up your child's Chromebook at our Device Distribution Event August 2 from 5-7pm. Bring your own device (BYOD) will be ending after distribution. Families who are unable to pick up the assigned device on this date will be contacted by the school. You do not need to call the school to let us know that you cannot attend.
Virtual Academy: Our students are being served through district resources due to low enrollment at our school. The base school for these VA teachers is at Salem Middle. The district has provided an opening week schedule for students to have an opportunity to complete community building activities and the student orientation modules. Please access the following links for important information, including the schedule and login information:
All Virtual Academy students will need to pick up materials to support their ELA and math courses from Heritage. Please come August 2, 5-7pm, to pick up texts and workbooks.
Reminders from Previous Weekly Messages:
AIG: Program information can be found on the AIG website linked under Academics on the HMS homepage. Ms. Worley has posted a video to explain the details of the AIG program at HMS. Please view at your convenience and email Ms. Worley with any questions.
Attendance Notes (new email address): If you need to provide an absence note for your child, please notify the school at email@example.com . Alternatively, your child may take a note to his/her homeroom teacher.
Bell Schedule: HMS 2021-22 Bell Schedule
Carpool Guidelines: If your child can utilize the bus, we encourage you to do so. We have well over 400 cars a day come through our parking lot. Be patient if you choose to use carpool. Please help us out with the following:
- Enter our lot using the right hand turn from Rogers Road. Please don’t go past the entrance, do a U-Turn, and try to turn left across traffic.
- Drop off no earlier than 7:50. We do not have supervision prior to that time, which is 30 minutes prior to class starting.
- Pull all the way up in the carpool line before stopping.
- Create double lines (we’ll help guide you initially) when you first enter the parking lot in order to get cars off of Rogers Road (think Chick-Fil-A Drive Thru). Take turns merging into a single file.
- Have your child ready to exit on the passenger side prior to getting to the Drop Off Zone (from the orange cones all the way around the front awning).
- Avoid having to access your trunk if possible.
- When you exit our lot, stay to the right. In the morning, HES asks that you go through the bus loop BUT in the afternoon, exit our parking lot by making a right hand turn, then enter the HES front parking lot (second entry on the right) and make an immediate U turn.
- Please, please, please refrain from entering our parking lot prior to 2:50pm to prevent a backup on Rogers Road long before school dismissal. If there were an emergency, crews would be delayed in accessing both HMS and HES.
- If you don’t have a carpool number, you may request one from our website (click request on right). You will use the same number if you had one last year. Please make sure your child knows his/her number.
Covid Diagnosis: If a student receives a positive Covid diagnosis, do not send the student to school. Please contact the principal at firstname.lastname@example.org. The guidance for return to school is updated here: https://www.wcpss.net/whentoreturn
PTA: A note from the PTA - This year we have a special opportunity to help HMS move into the 21st century by buying a new flat screen smart TV for every classroom! Please donate today to the No Fuss Fundraiser. If every family gives, we'll reach our goal in no time!
Join the PTA to stay in the know and continue to support our school. Thank you! You can make payments and access all PTA-related information on the website at https://heritagemiddlepta.weebly.com/
Walker Passes: If you live in our Walk Zone (1.5 miles), you may request a walker/bicycle pass for your student. See the main banner on our website for application instructions. Students who had a Walker Pass last year do not need to reapply. Please allow 24 - 48 hours for processing. Tracks 1, 2, and 3 families need to make a request for a Walker Pass by July 23. Track 4 families are asked to make a request by August 17. We will no longer be monitoring requests for Walker Passes after these deadlines.
Jo Ellen Newhouse, Principal
Heritage Middle School