May 2, 2021 Principal Message
Hello Patriot Families!
What a beautiful weekend. I hope you and your family were able to spend time outdoors together. Here are this week’s updates:
Notes for All Students
Asynchronous Day: There is an Asynchronous Day/Remote Learning Day on Wednesday, May 5.
8th Grade Families: The HMS PTA is offering Yard Signs for 8th graders this year. This is not a fundraiser, just a way to recognize our 8th graders. Ordering details are below. If you have any questions, please let us know. Thanks for your continued support of HMS PTA.
End-of Year Testing Update: Click here. Additional details have been added.
PTA News: The HMS PTA Meeting will be Tuesday, May 4th, at 7pm. If anyone would like to attend, they will need to send an email to (firstname.lastname@example.org) requesting a link. The link will then be EMAILED to them so they can attend.
- Teacher Appreciation Week is May 3rd - May 7th!!
- Upcoming Spirit Night will be at Papa Murphy's on Monday, May 31st from 1:00-8:00!
Report Cards: Parents wishing to obtain a hard copy of your student’s report card for Q3 should send an email to our Data Manager, Sharon Clarke email@example.com . Parents can also view their student’s report card via Parent Portal.
Track Assignments: We don’t anticipate making many track assignment changes for 2021-2022, but I will confirm this information after we receive the Virtual Academy numbers next week.
Virtual Academy: The sign up window for 2021-2022 closes tonight at 5:00pm. Here is the information about next year’s Virtual Academy: https://www.wcpss.net/VirtualAcademy
Notes Only for Plan A Students
- Enter our lot using the right hand turn from Rogers Road. Please don’t go past the entrance, do a U-Turn, and try to turn left across traffic.
- When you exit our lot, stay to the right. In the morning, HES asks that you go through the bus loop BUT in the afternoon, exit our parking lot by making a right hand turn, then enter the HES front parking lot (second entry on the right) and make an immediate U turn.
- Please, please, please refrain from entering our parking lot prior to 2:50pm to prevent a backup on Rogers Road long before school dismissal. If there were an emergency, crews would be delayed in accessing both HMS and HES. .
Reminders from Previous Weekly Messages:
Athletics Conditioning Workouts: Refer to the athletics website regarding sports updates. Winter Sports begin May 4.
Attendance Notes: If you need to provide an absence note for your child, please do so digitally by contacting our data manager at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Covid Diagnosis: If a student receives a positive Covid diagnosis, do not send the student to school. Please contact the principal at email@example.com. The guidance for return to school is updated here: https://www.wcpss.net/whentoreturn
Health Screening: Students should not be in school if they are diagnosed with COVID-19, exposed to someone with COVID-19, instructed to quarantine, or if they are sick or experiencing any of these symptoms:
- 100.4° fever or higher
- Sore throat
- New cough
- New shortness of breath or difficulty breathing
- New loss of taste or smell
- Diarrhea or vomiting
- New severe headache
If your child is experiencing any of these symptoms, he/she should not report to school. Follow the return to school guidance: https://www.wcpss.net/whentoreturn
Library/Media Center Access: Media Center Reservation
Quarter 4 Bell Schedule: Bell Schedule
Rising Heritage High 9th Grade Students: Any student/parent who needs to make changes to the "Heritage High School 9th Grade Course Requests," please complete the following Google Form found HERE - be sure you indicate you are a current 8th grade student and mark Ms. Weaver as your counselor. The deadline to make changes is May 28th. There is no need to complete the form if you are pleased with your elective choices.
Can't remember which electives you signed up for? Go to your Powerschools account and click on "Class Registration." Need to see the HHS 9th grade registration sheet again? Go HERE.
Jo Ellen Newhouse, Heritage Middle School Principal