August 2, 2020 Principal Update
Dear Heritage Families,
I hope this message continues to find you safe and healthy. This week we are busily preparing for the opening of school on August 17. Here are a few updates since last week:
- Class Assignments: Now that the Virtual Academy window has closed, we have assigned teachers to the classes. This week we will begin work on student schedules. We will communicate who your child’s teachers are via PowerSchool prior to Open House on Monday, August 10. Any schedules students may have viewed in PowerSchool are NOT correct prior to August 10. All students have a PowerSchool Account in order to access this information. Students use their ID number to access PowerSchool through Homebase. Directions for use: https://ps.wcpss.net/downloads/ncedcloud-wakeid.pdf
- Daily Schedule: While working virtually, all students will adhere to the following schedule: https://bit.ly/2Xifp3o . Your teachers will provide information and links to attend classes through Google Meet. These will be provided at Open House and will also be on our website after Open House.
- Drive By Pick Up: Because students are beginning instruction online, we are planning a Drive By Pick Up for academic materials such as language arts and math workbooks. Times are tentatively set for August 11, 8-11am (alpha A-H), August 12, noon – 4pm (alpha I-P), and August 13, 8-11am (alpha Q-Z). If you have flexibility, please abide by the indicated alpha assignments to help us spread out arrivals. However, if you need to attend during a specific window not assigned, we will be there to help you. Dates/Times are tentative in case all materials have not arrived.
- Open House: While we cannot currently have visitors in the school, we are planning to host a Virtual Open House for families to meet their children’s teachers August 10 at 5 and 6pm. Meeting codes for this event will be posted by 3pm on our website August 10. Core Teams will present at 5pm and will repeat their presentations at 6:20. Elective and PE teachers will present at 5:40 and again at 6:00. We hope you can join us!
- PowerSchool Access for Parents: PowerSchool (Homebase) is the program we use to provide real-time information regarding student updates such as attendance and grades. If you already have a PowerSchool parent account, you do not have to reapply. If you do not have a PowerSchool account and would like to get one, follow these directions: https://www.wcpss.net/student-information . We will collect COMPLETED forms at the scheduled Drive By Pick Up, August 11-13. We can also provide you a form if you need it, but you won’t be able to sit in the Drive By to complete it; you can drop a completed form by the office during regular hours. We appreciate you being prepared with either a completed notarized form or a completed form with your ID available at the Drive By Pick Up.
- Virtual Academy: Families who signed up for the Virtual Academy should receive notification next week. The letter provides additional details on the Virtual Academy.
Reminders from previous weekly messages:
- 7th Grade Students: ALL 7th grade students (whether in Virtual Academy or Plan B) need to provide proof of the Dtap and Meningococcal Immunizations. Additional information is available on our website.https://www.immunize.nc.gov/schools/k-12.htm
- Lockers and Uniforms: Currently, we are not planning to use lockers on the hallways or the locker room in order to follow social distancing requirements. Students do not need to purchase PE uniforms or locks at this time. We’ll provide more information when it is determined that students can enter the building.
- Supply List: Grade level supply lists are on our website under the Parents section.
- Supply Drive: The PTA will be holding a drive for school supplies and will have a drop off station at the times indicated for the Drive By Pick Up. https://docs.google.com/document/d/1SaTV6lO8Q1ULUMpPRettDzjKWs_u7fT1FIHS5RUN0io/edit?usp=sharing
We look forward to seeing everyone virtually for the first day of class August 17.
Jo Ellen Newhouse, Principal
Heritage Middle School