July 26, 2020 Principal's Message
July 26, 2020: I hope this message finds you safe and healthy and that you are finding time this summer to enjoy family and friends. This message is to provide you with a few updates as we prepare for the start of the 2020 – 2021 school year.
- Plan B Transition : The WCPSS School Board approved the recommendation to
begin the school year on Plan B Transition. More information can be found on our
website under the banner titled Update for 20-21 School Year.
- Virtual Academy : Families still have an opportunity to sign up for Virtual Academy.
The window will be open July 27-29 until 5pm. If you would like to remove your child
from the Virtual Academy list, please contact our main office.
- Class Assignments : Once the Virtual Academy window closes, we will be able to
assign students to teachers in both the Virtual Academy and those in Plan B transition.
We will communicate who your child’s teachers will be as soon as we are able. Because
our school is single-track this year and some teachers will be teaching in the Virtual
Academy while others will be teaching in Plan B transition, students will be assigned to a
new team and will not be with their traditional track.
- Open House : While we cannot currently have visitors in the school, we are planning
to host a Virtual Open House for families to meet their children’s teachers August 10 at 5
and 6pm. More news, including meeting codes, will follow.
- Drive By Pick Up : Because students are beginning instruction online, we are
planning a Drive By Pick Up for academic materials such as language arts and math
workbooks. Times are tentatively set for August 11, 8-11am and August 12, noon –
4pm. We may open additional times as needed.
- Supply List : Grade level supply lists should be posted on our website early next
week. We have had to shift our thinking based on the virtual opening.
- Supply Drive : The PTA will be holding a drive for school supplies and will have a
drop off station at the times indicated for the Drive By Pick Up.
- Lockers and Uniforms : Currently, we are not planning to use lockers on the hallways
or the locker room in order to follow social distancing requirements. Students do not
need to purchase PE uniforms or locks at this time. We’ll provide more information when
it is determined that students can enter the building.
- Technology Survey : All families should complete the previously sent WCPSS
Technology Survey (whether in the Virtual Academy or not) for each student by midnight
- 7th Grade Students : All 7th grade students need to provide proof of the Dtap and
Meningococcal Immunizations. Additional information is available on our website.
Enjoy the next few weeks away from school. We look forward to seeing everyone virtually for the first day of class August 17.
Jo Ellen Newhouse, Principal
Heritage Middle School