Sunday Night Announcements
Hello Wonderful Wendell Families,
This edition of the SNAs is a first... Nothing new! I am resharing the EOY collection plan for all WES families. Please reach out to your child(ren)'s homeroom teacher(s) with any questions.
And now, the Sunday Night Announcements for the week of June 1st:
End of Year Collection Plan for Families
After many hours of careful planning and consideration, I am pleased to share our year-end plan for the collection of personal materials for all families here at WES. My apologies in advance for the long narrative, but it's a lot of important information:
- On Wednesday, June 10th, we will hold a special drive-through recognition event for our 5th grade students and families. Along with being celebrated, 5th graders will collect all personal items (including a certificate of completion and a yearbook, if one was ordered) without ever having to leave their car! During the times for each 5th grade homeroom listed below, those families are invited to pull into the carpool loop... Staff will direct them from there. All WES families are invited to gather at Thompson Field that afternoon to give our 5th graders a SOARing sendoff!
- 1:15-2:00 Ms. Coca's homeroom
- 2:00-2:45 Ms. Tillery's homeroom
- 2:45-3:30 Ms. Young's homeroom
Only 5th graders will be given their personal items on June 10th... Younger siblings will have to return to campus the next day (see more below). 5th grade families, please contact your child's homeroom teacher with any questions/concerns.
- We have scheduled Thursday, June 11th as the day for our Kindergarten, 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th grade families to collect their personal items. Kindergarten, 1st and 2nd grade families are invited to pull into the front carpool loop; 3rd and 4th grade families will use the bus loop in back. Just as described for our 5th grade event, K-4 families will collect all personal items (including yearbooks, if applicable) without ever having to leave their car! The time windows for June 11th are listed below:
We'll take a break from 11:00-1:00 on June 11th so that we won't interfere with food distribution. K-4 families, please contact your child's homeroom teacher with any questions/concerns.
If you still need to collect any medicine for your child(ren), you can also do that on your designated pickup day. Please park in the lot in front of the gym/auditorium, walk up to the front door and ring the bell. Office staff will assist you with entry to the building and complete the medicine sign-out procedures. Only families who are collecting student medicine will be granted access to the building on June 10th and June 11th.
Unable to attend your child(ren)'s drive-through event(s)? Missing something that your child thinks is still in his/her classroom? You are welcome to stop by the school anytime this summer between 9:00 and 3:00, Monday through Friday... Beginning on Tuesday, June 16th.
WCPSS Grading Guidelines for 2019-2020
WCPSS has developed grading guidelines that align with NC State Board of Education revised grading policy. These guidelines are designed to provide clarity and understanding for students and families around how grades will be determined for the second half of the 2019-20 school year. They address grades, feedback and promotion decisions. We also have provided summaries of these guidelines with key dates, timelines and checklists. Please click on the links below for further information:
Per WCPSS guidelines, end of year report cards will be emailed to families on Friday, June 5th. Please contact your child's teacher to ensure that they have your current email address.
Technical Support for Remote Learning
As one of our strategies to address the challenge of student access to remote learning opportunities, we are leveraging a partnership between UNC-TV and the Department of Public Instruction At-Home Learning Initiative. Please learn more about how you can access the benefits of education television by clicking on this link for K-3 students and/or this one for 4th and 5th graders.
Please continue to use https://www.wcpss.net/coronavirus for district-level updates regarding COVID-19 and its impact on WCPSS. The link to Wake County's remote learning website is also included on this page.
Thank you for your flexibility, patience and grace during this unprecedented time... Please know that our first priority continues to be the academic and emotional well-being of each of our 519 students here at WES.
I hope that you and your family are well and in good spirits. Although I will continue to defer to WCPSS in terms of messaging, as WES-specific news becomes available, I will share with you directly. Please email (firstname.lastname@example.org) or call/text (919.374.0503) me as needed.
Principal, Wendell Creative Arts and Science Magnet Elementary School