Wendell ES is now a Nationally Certified Magnet School!
The following WCPSS schools received this prestigious certification:
- Brentwood Magnet Elementary School - Engineering
- Conn Elementary Magnet School - Entrepreneurial Design
- A.B. Combs Magnet Elementary School - Leadership
- Douglas Magnet Elementary School - Creative Arts and Science
- Farmington Woods Magnet Elementary School – International Baccalaureate
- Hunter Magnet Elementary School – Gifted and Talented/AIG
- Wendell Magnet Elementary School – Creative Arts and Science
- Wiley Magnet Elementary School – International Studies
- Millbrook Magnet High School – International Baccalaureate World School
The national certification process is based on the Magnet School Standards of Excellence and the five pillars of magnet schools – diversity; innovative curriculum and professional development; academic excellence; high quality instructional systems; and family and community partnerships.
Magnet schools must apply to receive this designation. They receive a rigorous evaluation based on evidence that they have met multiple indicators included in the Standards of Excellence. This includes providing specific examples of promoting school diversity, closing the achievement gap, integrating a theme-based curriculum throughout the school and encouraging parent and community involvement.
WCPSS schools consistently receive MSA recognition. Twenty-seven schools were recognized as Schools of Distinction or Excellence earlier this year.