2/22/21 Family Update
Hunter GT / AIG Magnet Elementary Virtual Monday Folder
Week of February 22nd
What Week Is It:
- Link to WCPSS Calendar
- WCPSS Family Updates Can be Found Here
Hunter GT / AIG Magnet Elementary School Updates
Return for In-person students on Monday, February 22nd: 4th and 5th Grade Cohort 3 (C)
Our staff has worked hard to minimize transitions and ensure strong relationships with ALL students so that we can support them through these upcoming changes. Please remember that although we are excited that some students will be back with us in person, we are also committed to continue to offer an outstanding virtual experience to our Virtual Academy students. Our staff has prepared a presentation for families to review before they return on Monday: Welcome To In-Person Learning
Please also review the WCPSS guidance that was shared with families:
- Read the Return to Campus Guide for families.
- Read Student Accountability and Required Health Protocols and sign the acknowledgement page. If you’ve already completed this form, you do not need to do it again.
- Students who are sick or not feeling well should stay home. If a student begins to not feel well or shows signs of illness during the day, a parent or guardian will be expected to promptly pick them up from school.
- Riding the bus? Complete the required attestation form, if you haven’t already, and learn the procedures to protect everyone’s health and safety.
- Learn about expectations for face coverings. A face covering must be secured safely over the nose, mouth, and under your chin.
- Learn about changes to meal service. Consider taking advantage of the free breakfast and lunch service.
- Learn about technology in schools. Students with a WCPSS device should plan to bring them to school. Those bringing a personal device will need a signed BYOD Consent Form.
- Be familiar with what happens when there is a COVID-19 case on campus.
After School with the YMCA Starting: February 22nd: At YMCA After School, kids expand their learning beyond the classroom. We use a balanced curriculum that supports learning through active play and a focus on character development and social emotional learning. We also offer a quiet space and support for students to work on their homework Monday through Thursday afternoons. During the week, students will participate in a variety of enrichment activities with opportunities for skill development, physical activity and fun. We are offering a weekly price for After School. The price of After School is $68 per week. Due to school calendars, each week of After School may not be five days. Prices are adjusted to reflect the number of in-person school days. After School is held from school dismissal until 6 p.m. Please visit the www.ymcatriangle.org website to register. For any additional questions feel free to reach out to Rodney.McCormick@YMCATriangle.org - YMCA After School FAQ
Calling All Books! We are in the process of inventorying our EL books for grades 2-5. If you have any of these books at your home, please bring them to the back bus loop on Wednesday, January 24th. There will be bins that books can be placed in. For students who will be in the building, please send books in with your student and we will collect them! Books that are currently being used do not need to be returned at this time! Click Here
The following books may be at your homes that can come back: The Dog that Dug for Dinosaurs, Nasreens Secret School, Rain School, Everything you need to know about Frogs, Love that Dog, Animal Defenses, Can you Survive the Wilderness?, Esperanza Rising, The Most Beautiful Roof in the World:
Asynchronous Days / Remote Learning Days
- Week of February 22nd - Remote learning day on Wednesday, February 24th
- Week of March 1st - Remote learning day on Wednesday, March 3rd
- Week of March 8th - March 10th and 11th are now in-person learning days (not remote). March 12th is a teacher workday.
- Week of March 22nd - Remote learning day on Wednesday, March 24th
- Week of April 12th - Remote learning day on Wednesday, April 14th
- Week of April 26th - Remote learning day on Wednesday, April 28th
- Week of May 3rd - Remote learning day on Wednesday, May 5th
- Week of May 24th - Remote learning day on Wednesday, May 26th
PTA Meeting: Wednesday, February 24th at 7:30pm. Please join us and meet Principal Barham as he begins his journey with us. Click on this Link to join!
Teacher Appreciation: Snack Attack! Our PTA will host a drive through event Wednesday, March 3 to show love and support to Hunter Staff with a Snack Attack! Cars can come through the carpool loop and drop off snacks at the front door.
Donations will be used to stock the faculty lounge. Current needs are Keurig Pods, individually packaged snacks, sweet treats, and fruit. If you can't make it that day, but still want to contribute, here is a link to a Target Wish List here and an Amazon Wish List here for easy online purchase to be shipped directly to Hunter. Please wear a mask and practice your 3 W's when dropping off treats for our amazing Hunter staff. Thank you so much for supporting our amazing Hunter staff.
Labels & Offers: Do you shop at Harris Teeter or Amazon? Can you collect Box Tops? If so, here are 3 easy ways to earn money for Hunter. Last year, these rewards programs raised over $2000 for programs that support Hunter students throughout the school year.
AmazonSmile: AmazonSmile Foundation will donate 0.5% of the purchase price from your eligible AmazonSmile purchases. To shop at AmazonSmile simply start your shopping at smile.amazon.com and set Hunter PTA as your charity. We are "PTA North Carolina Congress Lucille Hunter GT Elem School PTA."
Harris Teeter VIC Card: When you purchase Harris Teeter Brand products using your VIC card, Harris Teeter contributes a percentage to Hunter. You can link your VIC card online at www.harristeeter.com or at any Harris Teeter cashier. Be sure to link to #2732 "Lucille Hunter Elementary." You must relink your card every year. It's not too late to link your card for benefits this school year! We raise over $400 each year with VIC card rewards.
Box Tops for Education: There are two ways to earn cash for Hunter through the Box Tops for Education program.
- Scan. The Box Tops program is going digital, and you may notice that many of the products you are used to seeing traditional Box Tops on now look different. Simply download the Box Tops app from Google Play or download the Box Tops app from the App Store, and scan your receipts within 14 days. Many stores have Bonus Box Tops offers that you can redeem through the app right now. Ordering groceries online? Follow the simple instructions in the Box Tops app to submit digital receipts.
- Clip. Simply clip the Box Tops from hundreds of your favorite General Mills brand products, found in nearly every aisle of your grocery store. Each Box Top worth $0.10 to Hunter. Due to COVID, we are not holding a traditional Spring Box Tops drive. However, if you have already collected more than 100 Box Tops to turn in, please email email@example.com.
Yearbook: We are still accepting photos of 5th graders. We hope to have a picture of every 5th grader. It doesn't have to be portrait quality, any picture of your child's face will work. Currently we have 50 out of about 100 kids. To send a photo, either use the Google form here or email the photo, child's name and what your child might like to be when they grow up to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Yoga: Join Kelly each Tuesday morning from 8:30-9:00am.
Sidewalk Chalk Competition: March 10 & 11 will be Hunter’s first ever Community Sidewalk Chalk Competition. This year’s theme is in keeping with our symbol: anything that has to do with “stars.” Whoever (Madonna? Michael Jordan? Andrea Gorman?) or whatever (Starry Night?) inspires you, start working on your ideas now. Need chalk/are virtual? Families can ask for chalk on February 24 during a special materials pickup. Be on the lookout for a separate PTA email regarding this fun event!
PTA Nominations: Please consider if you’d like to join the PTA leadership in some capacity. No efforts are too small! We are hopeful that 2021-2022 will be a fantastic school year, and we can’t do it without your gifts and talents. If interested, please complete this google form February 26. Descriptions of board positions and committee chairs can be found here. Thank you for your consideration. Questions? Please email Karen Barnes: email@example.com. We look forward to partnering with you next year!
The VMF is a weekly joint communication from Hunter GT / AIG Magnet Elementary and the Hunter PTA. Our VMF will be digitally shared with families on Monday and serves as a single resource for families to understand all that is happening in our school community. Archived VMFs are available on the Hunter website. Paper copies of the VMF are available by contacting the Hunter Office.