10/19/20 Family Update
Hunter GT / AIG Magnet Elementary Virtual Monday Folder
Week of October 19th
Hunter GT / AIG Magnet Elementary School Updates
Hunter’s Curbside Library Option Books to Go! - While students returning to Hunter will soon have access to the media center, it is important that ALL students have access to library books. Please visit this link to learn all about our new “Books to Go” program. The short videos will explain how the program works if you choose to participate. You can also learn more from this FAQ sheet. Feel free to email Mrs. Wasko with any questions - email@example.com
Asynchronous Days / Remote Learning Days - Our school district has recently approved “asynchronous learning days” which are the same as “remote learning days.” On remote learning days, students who are scheduled to be in a school building will be home on the designated day. They will participate in virtual learning lessons and activities that have been pre-recorded by their teachers. Students who are participating in online learning will remain home, but all of their learning will be pre-recorded and none will be live on camera.
- Week of October 19th - No remote learning day due to teacher workday on Friday, October 23rd.
- Week of October 26th - Remote learning day Wednesday, October 28th
- Week of November 2nd - No remote learning day due o teacher workday on Tuesday, November 3rd.
- Week of November 9th - No remote learning day due to no school / holiday on November 11th.
- Week of November 16th - Remote learning day on Wednesday, November 18th.
- Week of November 23rd - Remote learning days on Monday, November 23rd and Tuesday, November 24th.
- Week of November 30th - Remote learning days on Wednesday, December 2nd
- Week of December 7th - Remote learning day on Friday, December 11th.
- Week of December 14th - Remote learning day on Wednesday, December 16th
- Week of December 21st - Teacher Workday Monday, December 21st, No School Rest of Week
- Week of January 4th - Remote learning day on Wednesday, January 6th
- Week of January 11th - Remote learning day on Wednesday, January 13th
Materials Pick Up and MORE! - On Friday, October 23rd, we will hold a materials pick up day for ALL grades! Materials will be prepared for all grades and for both “in person” and Virtual Academy students. Our pick up will take place in the back bus loop from 10:00 am until 3:30 pm. As a part of the day, you can also accomplish the following:
- Turn materials back in to Hunter.
- Turn in elective materials that you used from the first quarter.
- Pick up PTA Spirit Wear.
- Sign in medication for students with a signed 1702.
Electives and Specials
- First Quarter Electives -- First quarter electives will end on Thursday, October 22nd. We would appreciate families dropping off any first quarter elective supplies that need to be returned during our Materials Pick Up on Friday, October 23rd.
- Second Quarter Electives - Second quarter electives will begin on Monday, November 16th. In coming weeks, families will receive an electronic elective registration via email.
- Specials - Students will participate in specials (visual art, music, dance, drama, physical education) for the weeks of October 26th, November 2nd, and November 9th. In-person students will be directed accordingly while at school. Virtual Academy students and / or at home Plan B students will receive an update from their grade level team directing them accordingly. Specials classes will be taught “live” during the same time that “electives” are taught for each grade level.
Fall Fundraiser: Thank you! We did it! As of last Friday, we raised $33,000 in our annual Reach for the Stars Fall Fundraiser. That's well over our $25,000 goal. Thank you to everyone who donated!
Spirit Wear: For those who placed an order, your spirit wear has arrived! Pick up will take place in the back bus loop on the Teacher Work Day this Friday, October 23rd, between 10:00 am-3:30 pm, along with your materials pickup.
ONE Hunter: Dear Hunter parents, caregivers, teachers and staff: Please join us Tuesday October 20th from 6:30-7:30pm via zoom for our annual One Hunter celebration! One Hunter provides an opportunity for us to get to know our beautiful community better through meaningful small group discussions. Sadly, while we cannot enjoy a meal in-person together this year, we are SO grateful to Two Roosters Ice Cream at Person Street Plaza in Raleigh (down the block from Krispy Kreme) for hosting a fundraiser for our Teachers!!! From 12-9pm on Tuesday 10/20, head to Two Roosters, mention Hunter, and/or show them the Hunter/Two Roosters flyer below and 20% of your purchase will go to celebrate our amazing teachers. What a great day to plan a socially distanced outdoor event with another Hunter family or two!
While this year's One Hunter program will be for the adults, we will have an activity for your students and their siblings to do if they are interested! They will only need paper, pencils and markers/colored pencils. They will have the opportunity to share their beautiful work at the end of the zoom.
To keep our program safe (i.e. no zoom bombers!), we require a very quick and easy registration for all those interested in attending One Hunter. Please register here. For further inquiries, please contact Hunter PTA, Advocacy Co-Chair, Juliette Grimmett, at firstname.lastname@example.org
Virtual Yoga Join Kelly each Wednesday morning from 8:30-9:00am. Please refer to your VMF email or call the main office for information on how to join the Zoom Meeting.
Chess Club: Virtual Chess Club has begun. If you would like to register, please fill out the registration form (http://bit.ly/HunterChessReg). Suggested contribution for this year is $30.
Teacher Appreciation: Let's shower our teachers with love letters and notes of gratitude this week. Students and their families can write letters, draw pictures, draft thank you notes, or even mail completed work to show the teachers how much your students have learned. You can mail your letters to a teacher's attention at the following address: 1018 East Davie Street, Raleigh, NC 27601. Families can also drop off their letters and notes to the school directly in a bin by the front door.
Treat a Teacher Lunch Package: Our generous community members, Empire Eats, are offering box lunch deliveries for teachers and staff. A parent can purchase this for only $15, with tote bag and school supplies included, and meals will be delivered to the school on October 30th! Be on the lookout for information from your grade level rep regarding sign up!
Book Fair: I wish I may, I wish I might, wish upon a...website! The Hunter Virtual Book Fair is just around the corner! This event will begin on November 2nd, but you can virtually browse the shelves and build your wish lists now! Go to http://shop.readwithme.us to check out the incredible selection of books at Read With Me!
Begin by clicking ‘Log In’ to create your account. Once your account is established you may then build and manage your wish lists.
**Remember** the event to benefit Hunter will begin November 2nd so refrain from any purchases until that time as more details will be provided!
Yearbook Committee: The Yearbook Committee is still planning on making a memory book this year and would like your "Back to School" photos! Any first day pictures, virtual learning pictures, etc, would be greatly appreciated for consideration. Please email them to email@example.com. Questions or comments: email Christine Weingarten at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Assistance Program for Water and Sewer Utility Customers – Up to $240 per year is available to assist with your water/sewer bill https://raleighnc.gov/services/water-and-sewer/assistance-program-water-and-sewer-utility-customers for an application, or contact Trinity Pellas, School Social Worker, for assistance with applying.
- Housing Assistance – Are you struggling to find stable housing or on the brink of homelessness? Wake County has a new program to help. For info: https://cutt.ly/HousingAssistanceEnglish
- Food Stamps – Good news! The amount provided is being raised, so you will see extra in your account starting this month! Apply online at https://epass.nc.gov/.
- Are you worried about being evicted? - There is an Eviction Moratorium (no evictions) in place until the end of 2020. To qualify, see here: (https://cutt.ly/EvictionPreventionFlyer1), and then sign the Eviction Prevention Document (https://cutt.ly/EvictionPreventionDocument) and give it to your landlord.
Recursos de la comunidad:
- Programa de asistencia para clientes de servicios públicos de agua y alcantarillado: Aplicar aquí: https://raleighnc.gov/services/water-and-sewer/assistance-program-water-and-sewer-utility-customers
- Asistencia para la vivienda: https://cutt.ly/HousingAssistanceSpanish
- Cupones para alimentos - Información: https://epass.nc.gov/
- ¿Le preocupa ser desalojado? – Información: https://cutt.ly/HfFJ2Yb
The VMF is a weekly joint communication from Hunter GT / AIG Magnet Elementary and the Hunter PTA. Our VMF will be digitally shared with families on Monday and serves as a single resource for families to understand all that is happening in our school community. Archived VMFs are available on the Hunter website. Paper copies of the VMF are available by contacting the Hunter Office.