5/4/20 Family Update
Monday, May 4, 2020
Welcome to Hunter GT/AIG Elementary Virtual Monday Folder (VMF)
- It’s Virtual Teacher Appreciation Week!!!!!!!! We are lucky to have you!!! #ThankATeacher
- Happy National School Principal Day to Ms Pelton! The Hunter Family appreciates you!
- Thanks to Melissa Green & Kerri Brown-Parker for a successful Virtual Author Visit w/ Steve Jenkins & Robin Page!!! Recordings below.
- Yearbook online ordering deadline has been extended until May 31st. See details below.
- Join us for virtual Yoga class every Wednesday morning at 8:15a.
- Hunter is a Food Distribution Site for WCPSS for ages 18 & under, no ID, Monday-Friday, from 11-1p
- Stay up to date on latest School & PTA news…….See Facebook, Instagram and Twitter below.
School & Administration Announcements:
Bolt for Blue 5k Winners: Thanks to all who Participated in the Bolt for the Blue! There were over 170 participants and over $4200 was raised for the Ligon Food Ark and the Interfaith Food Shuttle.
Remote Learning Updates: Remote Learning Updates - We are SUPER PROUD and GRATEFUL to all of our families for everyone's efforts with remote learning this week. Teachers utilized feedback that families had provided to make improvements. As a staff, we are committed to continuous improvement. Here are a few reminders:
- To the extent that you are able, please allow your child to participate in the learning provided. Grade level teams have worked to prioritize the most important learning from this school year that will best prepare your child for the upcoming school year.
- If you or your child are feeling frustrated, please reach out to your child’s teacher. Teachers will work with families to prioritize the most important learning opportunities for students. Teachers can also help with logging in and / or connectivity issues.Families are encouraged to do what they can, and it is to be expected that not all lessons will be completed each week – THAT IS OKAY!
Week 7 - May 4th - May 8th
It is Teacher Appreciation Week! We invite you to send your appreciation to our Hunter Heroes in various ways: pictures, letters/emails, social media posts, or gift cards. Please choose whatever activities make sense for your family. Activities can be completed any day(s) this week.
- Teacher Appreciation Letters - Write a letter to your homeroom teacher, teacher assistant, and specialist teacher(s) of your choice. Share your appreciation with a letter and send to the teacher via email. Use our template or draft your own letter.
- Click link for template: Teacher Appreciation Letter, fill out, then send to teacher via email.
- If you cannot open the link, a MS WORD version is attached. You can share this version by editing and emailing the document OR printing, filling out and taking a picture to email.
- Create A Star - Get creative! Create a "Hunter Star" to share your love of the Hunter Heroes. Snap a picture or video and share on social media (tag Hunter on Twitter-@hunterpta, Facebook, and Instagram-@hunterelementaryschoolpta). Let's see how many posts we can generate! If you are not on social media, email your "Hunter Star" to firstname.lastname@example.org and we will post it for you.
- See attached flyer for directions. Create A Star flyer
- Social Media Accolades- Each day, we will feature a few teacher teams from our school through Twitter (@HunterPrincipal) and Facebook (Hunter GT / AIG Magnet Elementary). We welcome our families to share gratitude and accolades for each of our teacher teams. If you do not use social media, feel free to email any celebratory comments that you would like to share to email@example.com we will post those for you. At the conclusion of the week, we will make sure that our teacher teams get a print out of all the accolades shared.
Schedule for Celebrating Teacher Teams on Social Media:
Monday - Pre K, Kindergarten, and Teacher Assistants
Tuesday - First Grade, Intervention, AIG, Enrichment, ESL, Instructional Coaches
Wednesday - Second Grade, Special Education, Speech, OT, Office Staff
Thursday - Third Grade, Arts Team, Custodian
Friday - Fourth Grade, Fifth Grade, Social Worker, Counselor, School Psychologist, and School Nurse
Thanks for helping us to "virtually" celebrate our teachers. If you have any questions, feel free to contact any of the following members of the Teacher Appreciation Committee: Amy Wadia (firstname.lastname@example.org), Liz Marin (email@example.com), and Earle Thompson (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Also check out this Teacher Appreciation Video: https://youtu.be/MU-2ZQJjclQ
Advocacy: Many families at Hunter deal with food or housing insecurities on a regular basis, and unfortunately, this is going to be compounded by our school closing for the rest of the school year. During the last round of collections, we raised $4k and it helped our community greatly with housing and food insecurities. We all know that our Hunter families needs will continue and our hope is to reach $5k for the second round. Lastly, unfortunately donations are not tax exempt, but all donations have layers of oversight and every penny is accounted for and goes directly to our Hunter family and community.
ANY donation, from $5-$500 will directly help our Hunter family. Please send all donations via Paypal or Venmo, indicating "Hunter food donation" in the notes. Please also email Juliette Grimmett at email@example.com) for any questions. If you have friends/family who are looking to give, please consider sending this request to them, too. This money will go directly to those in need.
Thank you to all who are able to give. Sending everyone peace, love, health, and calmness from Juliette Grimmett & Stephanie Zeigler-Advocacy Co-Chairs.
Field Trip Refunds: Field Trip refunds (as applicable) are being processed as expeditiously as possible by the PTA Treasurers and school administration. We appreciate your patience and understanding while allowing us to ensure all requests have been processed.
Visiting Author: Thanks for a very special Virtual Author Visit with accomplished authors Steve Jenkins and Robin Page this week! We appreciate them discussing their creative thoughts and inspiration behind publishing children’s books. Shout out Melissa Green and Kerri Brown-Parker for making this happen for us! Just in case you missed it…please use the following link to access the recorded visit: K-2 Zoom meeting & 3-5 Zoom meeting
5th Grade Families: Just a quick reminder to send in a baby or favorite photo of your fabulous 5th grader asap if you have not already! Please send the photo to firstname.lastname@example.org. Right now we have photos for 69 of the graduates, but that means we are still missing photos for 37 of them! We really want to honor all our kiddos and their amazing accomplishment of finishing elementary school! Thanks!
Yearbook: The yearbook online ordering has been extended until May 31st. You can order at strawbridge.net using the code YB105589. Thanks Christine Weingarten and the yearbook committee!
Wednesday Morning Club Yoga: Please join us for every Wednesday morning for Virtual Morning Yoga Sessions with our interim Yoga Instructor, Ms. Loveless at 8:15am, Sessions start at 8:30am. This is a very effective way to relieve tension and help both students and parents relax and get ready for remote learning.
April 29: Virtual Yoga Session @ 8:15a
May 4-8 : Virtual Teacher Appreciation Week
May 12: PTA General Membership Meeting
May 31: Yearbook online ordering deadline
Hunter Elementary School PTA Instagram (hunterelementaryschoolpta)
Hunter Elementary School PTA Twitter (@hunter_pta)
My School Bucks (lunch money app)
Here Comes the Bus (bus tracking app)
Hunter Foundation Twitter (@HunterFound)