5/13/2020 Principal Message
Student Belongings Pick Up, Retirements, & More
Good afternoon Explorer Parents,
It's difficult to believe that our school year is coming to a close. While we still have many questions about the new school year, please know that the district is working diligently to plan for multiple situations and scenarios for students to return back to school. Please remember that we must follow the directive of the Governor and the recommendations from the CDC in order to protect students and staff.
We do know that we can distribute student belongings. Our pick up day will be tomorrow from 9:00 a.m. -3:00 p.m.. I acknowledge the short notice but we were waiting on the official process before uploading notification on Dojo.
Student belongings have been packed up and labeled for easy pick-up. The distribution will be in the carpool line and will work as follows:
1. We must follow all social distancing and personal protective equipment recommendations for this process.
2. Drive in the carpool loop only.
3. Give your name to the staff member. Please remain in your vehicle.
4. A staff member will place the small bag by your car door. After the staff member has moved away from the vehicle you may open your door and grab the bag.
5. If a student has a library book to return to the school: please place the book in one of the bins in the carpool lane. Due to the strategic placement of the bins, you should not need to exit your vehicle.
6. Chromebooks: Seniors and students who are not returning back to WCPSS need to return their Chromebooks, charger, and if applicable, hotspot. Students who are returning back to WCPSS can keep the device and equipment over the summer break.
Celebrations are scheduled for next Tuesday and Wednesday. Although this is not how we thought we would end our year, I am still proud of each of our students for their hard work and our teachers for their continued efforts and support of students. I can't wait to hear the 5th-grade student speeches about their year and to pop into classroom events to celebrate with you.
I also want to give a shoutout to our four retirees who will be leaving us to enjoy their retirement:
Ms. Trabucco: She has taught for over 30 years, 25 years in WCPSS. She has taught 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 6th, and Intervention. She has touched the lives of hundreds of students as she served in these roles. She plans on becoming active in grant writing to put books in the hands of new moms before they leave the hospital to leave the world a better place!
Ms. Cindy Johnson: Ms. Johnson has served as instructional assistant 24 years at Creech Road and East Garner. This was both in special education, pre K, Kindergarten, Second Grade! She has been instrumental to the success of the IA's at EGES as she has served as the Lead IA. During her retirement, she plans to enjoy her time as a new grandmother!
Ms. Taveras: She has served for 14 years both at Creech and at East Garner. She has served as Office, Kindergarten, and special education. She has also supported multiple students as a one on one teacher assistant. In her retirement, she wants to spend time with her husband and daughter!
Ms. Joanne Brown: Ms. Brown has served in numerous roles, including a teacher assistant, classroom teacher, intervention, literacy coach, and most recently, grades 2-3 coach and everything all! She has a total of 31 years in WCPSS! In her retirement, she is going to take a 6-month break and then come back and teach more children!
As always, thank you, parents, for your continued support of students and our school. This message will be posted on the website as well.
My Best, Mrs. Graf