Week 8 School Messenger from Mrs. Graf
September 10, 2018 Week 8
Good afternoon Explorers,
This is Principal Graf with your weekly update. It’s Week 8 of school already! We continue to #LEAD in our school improvement work and in our pursuit of academic excellence for all students.
Please visit our PTA website connected to our school site for information about upcoming events. Snifty pencils will continue to be on sale. Snifty pencils are $1.
- 9/11: TAMAM: FREE Whole Chicken Give-Away: Each family in carpool will receive a whole chicken! Yum! All parents who want a FREE whole chicken to cook for supper must come to the school beginning at 4 p.m. to pick up your chicken. Come on out because we will have 400+ chickens to give away!
- 9/12 Coffee & Conversation from 8:15-8:45 and from 6:00-6:30 p.m. Please RSVP so we can plan appropriately! OUr focus will be school improvement plan, goals and parent engagement!
- 9/11 School Garden Dig In Day: Our partners at the Poe Health Center and Novo Nordisk Pharmaceuticals will be on campus to begin our school garden work. It will be a busy but wonderful day!
- Field Trips: Much of the parent input at the end of last year was about field trips. Each grade level will be taking field trips this year. Payments must be made in order to secure charter buses and reservations to the wonderful sites for visits. If down-payments cannot be made, the field trip will be cancelled, as the tour company requires a down payment for the beach and Washington DC trips.
- 9/17-21 Attendance Awareness Spirit Week
- 9/20 Quarter 1 Report Cards Sent Home
- 9/24 Teacher Workday: Parent Conference Day Your teacher will be sending out a sign up.
- Student Track Out 1: September 24-October 5, 2018
REMINDERS: Parents, It takes a village to keep all our students-your children safe. Help us by adhering to and following the rules for carpool, tardies and early checkouts. Please know that we WILL ask you for ID. If we KNOW you we may NOT ask you, but if there is uncertainty it is our job to request ID. We see TONS of faces everyday and had many new families transfer in to our school. We must ensure that you are here for a valid reason before granting access inside our building. Additionally, we will strictly reinforcing the early check out policy and carpool procedures. Please STOP dropping off in the BUS loop. It is NOT safe. The school buses need room to swing and make the loop safely. Cars in the loop is a safety hazard. We have asked the Garner PD to strictly enforce this expectation in order to curb this bad and unsafe habit.
Bus Behavior Reminders:
Recently bus drivers have been bringing back our students to the school due to behavior. Students are out of seats, throwing items out of the windows and behaving disrespectfully to the bus driver. All students on the Green Bus were given a review of MAPS today and a warning about behavior. Students with repeated referrals for misconduct on the bus are at jeopardy of a potential bus suspension. Please talk with your children about the expectation of sitting in their seats facing forward, no screaming, no throwing objects and being disrespectful. Bad behavior is a distraction for the bus driver. Specific parents will be contacted today regarding behavior. Please remember that all buses have 4 cameras and behavior is caught on camera.
- Doors open at first bell 8:45 AM
- Tardy bell rings at 9:15 AM and instruction begins. Please arrive to school on time.
- Bus loop drop-off is just for the Before Care Program is between 7-8:30 AM.
- No main office dismissal after 3:15 PM. Please refrain from habitual early pickups. We cannot make last minute changes.
- No transportation changes after 3:00 PM. We cannot make last minute changes.
- Carpoolers must know their carpool numbers. This helps the carpool line move more smoothly.
- Students will be dismissed to buses/daycare vans when they arrive on campus.
- Where is my child’s bus? CLICK HERE for information regarding Here Comes the Bus App
Looking for Parent Volunteers: Thank you to Ms. Walker for coming in and supporting the school with our small tasks. I look forward to seeing additional parents in the school and helping out.
School Year Dates to Mark Your Calendars:
Student Track Out 1: September 24-October 5, 2018
Student Track Out 2/Holiday Break: December 17-January 2, 2019
Last Track Out/Spring Break: March 11-22, 2019
Early Release Dates: 8/17, 10/19, 11/20, 01/18, 02/15, & 3/8 School will release at 1:15 p.m.
Holidays/No School: 9/3, 11/12, 11/21-23, 01/21, 04/19, 5/27
Last Day of School: 5/24
All of this information will be posted on the school website under Principal Messages. Please call the school at 919-773-7411 with any questions.
Always Explorer Proud,