Announcing our 2017-18 Teacher of the Year semi-finalists
Every spring, we honor some of the many outstanding educators in our district through our Teacher of the Year recognition program.
Congratulations to the following:
• Lindsey Barton, Smith Elementary
• Jennifer Browndorf, Hilburn Academy
• Lindsey Button, East Cary Middle
• Rachel Castaneda, Highcroft Drive Elementary
• Stephen Colbert, Wake Early College of Health & Sciences
• Heather Collins, Heritage Elementary
• Taylar Flythe, Ligon Middle
• Suzanne Gibbons, Wake STEM Early College
• Betsy Graves, Broughton High
• Kelly Harris, Rand Road Elementary
• Christa Hayden, Wakefield High
• Erica Hoskins, Apex High
• Erin Johnson, Vernon Malone Academy
• Erin Lawrence, Apex Friendship High
• Kathleen Little, Green Elementary
• Halina Lluberes, Middle Creek High
• Lauren Miron, Rolesville Middle
• Tracie Newson, Carpenter Elementary
• Mary Allison Nunnery, Holly Ridge Elementary
• Janice Peterson, Fuquay Varina High
• Katherine Russell, Wendell Middle
• Lesley Simmons, West Lake Elementary
• Melody Solomon, Wake Young Women’s Leadership Academy
• Erin Van Sickle, Wake Forest Middle
• Stephanie Wacek, Lynn Road Elementary
Selection committees review the portfolios and narrow the field to a group of semi-finalists, who then submit short videos reflecting how they incorporate the 4Cs into their work. After reviewing these videos and making classroom visits, the committees then determine the 13 finalists.
The finalists then appear before an interview committee for the selection of the Teacher of the Year.
The semi-finalists will be recognized at the March 7 Board of Education meeting. The 13 finalists will be announced in early April. The winner will be named at a special celebration on May 8 at the Raleigh Convention Center.