Ms. Chidester's Weekly Message: 11/20/20
Dear Conn Magnet Elementary School Families,
We hope everyone had a great week of learning. Monday, November 23 and Tuesday, November 24 are remote learning days. During these two days, students will log in with their teacher, receive instructions for the day, and be released to complete their work independently. These remote learning days are intended to support both teachers and students in having sufficient time to fully engage and succeed in their work.
There will be no school on Wednesday, November 25 – Friday, November 27. Please refer to the WCPSS 2020-2021 Semester 1 Elementary Traditional Calendar.
WCPSS Update on Second Semester In-Person Schedules: Our top priority remains the health and safety of our students and their families. Since spring, the district has taken the extensive measures outlined below to ensure the health and safety of our students. Thanks to the tremendous effort of our families, teachers and employees who have worked together to ensure that our students can continue to receive a high-quality education, our campus reopening plans to date have been successful.
With the foundation, the WCPSS Board of Education voted for students to return to in-person instruction in the second semester on the following schedule:
- Pre-K: Daily in-person instruction
- Elementary School: Daily in-person instruction
- Middle and High School: Three-week rotations
- Special Education Regional Programs K-12: Daily in-person instruction
COVID-19 is an evolving situation that requires constant review. We ask that parents be prepared should second semester plans change due to new or additional Executive Orders from the Governor or new data from health officials. In addition, we will not keep schools open if health officials do not believe we can do so in a safe and responsible manner. To this end, we will continue to monitor our district’s current plan and programming to ensure high compliance rates with public health guidance, available PPE, and adequate staffing.
WakeID Portal System Maintenance: The WakeID portal will be unavailable due to system maintenance beginning at 5:00 p.m. on Tuesday November 24. Students should have access to Google beginning at 5:00 p.m. on Wednesday, November 25. Other programs through the WakeID portal will become available as soon as possible. Thank you for your understanding!
Food Distribution Update: Curbside pick up locations and Big Bus Food Truck sites distributed two lunches and two breakfasts on Friday, November 20 to cover meals for Monday November 23 as all curbside pick up locations and Big Bus Food Truck locations will be closed on this date. On Tuesday, November 24, our CNS team will distribute a four-day holiday pack at our curbside pick-up locations and Big Bus Food Truck sites as long as supplies last. Food distribution services will not be occurring November 25 - 27.
Magnet Monthly Magazine: Our November volume of our Magnet Monthly Magazine is now available! Click here to read about our latest exciting entrepreneurial events, big idea projects, a young local entrepreneur, ways to celebrate National STEM, and so much more!
School Picture Day: We encourage you to use mylifetouch.com to order your pictures prior to your student's assigned day. Please use the following Picture Day ID when purchasing: EVTVXSDX6. There will be no group pictures taken at this time. Below are the remaining assigned picture days.
- Monday, November 30- 4th and 5th grade Plan B Cohort 2
- Monday, December 7- 4th and 5th grade Plan B Cohort 3
Updated Remote Learning Asynchronous Days for December & January: Due to our upcoming move, WCPSS has approved us to change two of the upcoming remote learning asynchronous days. Changing these two days provides our Conn staff ample time to begin this transition and settle into our new space without impacting our daily instruction. Our students will begin learning in our new building on Tuesday, January 5. We can't wait to kick off 2021 in our new building!
- Friday, December 18- Remote Learning Asynchronous Day (Change from Wednesday, December 16)
- Monday, January 4- Remote Learning Asynchronous Day (Change from Wednesday, January 6)
Virtual Academy Enrollment: The application to change your student's registration will be open December 2 - 9 for elementary school students.
You don't need to complete the application if:
- Your student is currently registered in the WCPSS Virtual Academy for the full year and wishes to continue for the spring semester;
- Your student is currently registered in the WCPSS Virtual Academy for the fall semester only and wishes to switch to Plan A/B/C for the spring semester;
- Your student is registered for Plan A/B/C and you wish to continue with Plan A/B/C.
You should complete the application if:
- Your student is not currently registered in the WCPSS Virtual Academy for the spring semester but wants to be;
- Your student registered in the WCPSS Virtual Academy for the fall only and wants to continue for the spring semester;
- Your student is registered for the WCPSS Virtual Academy in the spring semester, but wants to change to Plan A/B/C.
Delivery of Instruction: Please keep in mind that this year at Conn it’s a team approach! Your child has an assigned homeroom teacher, however they have also experienced the delivery of instruction from the whole grade level team. What an amazing opportunity to experience the delivery of lessons by not one, but several master teachers! As we anticipate changes to Virtual Academy enrollment, we may need to adjust our teaching assignments. As these changes arise, we will notify parents in a timely manner. These changes may occur due to staffing needs, updated plan enrollments, or other unanticipated changes to this unique school year. Thank you for your flexibility and support as we all work together to best serve our students.
Conn's Curriculum Corner: Our Instructional Facilitator, Ms. Mariella, has created a newsletter entitled Conn's Curriculum Corner to help our CONNmUNITY navigate the curriculum waters. We look forward to hosting this new platform quarterly. Here you will find tips and ways to help your student(s) each quarter along with family engagement ideas to help support learning at home. Please reach out to Ms. Mariella at email@example.com with any academic questions and/or concerns.
Scholastic Online Book Fair: Our annual Scholastic Book Fair is virtual this year! The Scholastic Time Machine is now live! The virtual book fair will end on Thursday, November 26.
Chat with Chidester: Conn Magnet Elementary is officially on the move! Please join me for our next virtual 'Chat with Chidester' event on Thursday, December 3 at 7:00 p.m. during the general PTA meeting. During this time, I will be collaborating with our PTA to discuss our transition and all other important information related to our new campus. We can't wait to continue the rich legacy of Conn Magnet Elementary back at home!
We wish you and your family a safe holiday break!
Gabriel Chidester, Principal
Important Dates to Remember
- Monday, November 23- Remote Learning Day
- Tuesday, November 24- Remote Learning Day
- Wednesday, November 25- Vacation Day
- Thursday, November 26- Holiday
- Thursday, November 26- Last Day of Virtual Book Fair
- Friday, November 27- Holiday
- Monday, November 30- All Plan B Cohorts PreK – 3 and Regional Programs students and Cohort 2 4th and 5th grade students return to campus
- Monday, November 30- Picture Day for 4th and 5th grade Plan B Cohort 2
- Wednesday, December 2- Remote Learning Asynchronous Day
- Monday, December 7- Picture Day for 4th and 5th grade Plan B Cohort 3
- Friday, December 11- Remote Learning Day
- Wednesday, December 16- In-Person Learning for All Plan B Cohorts PreK – 3 and Regional Programs students and Cohort 1 4th and 5th grade students
- Friday, December 18- Remote Learning Asynchronous Day