Weekly Update 1/14/22
- Covid Reminders:
- If your student receives a Covid diagnosis, please notify the school by calling (919) 664-5737 or email our Covid liaison, Lauren Shepard, at firstname.lastname@example.org so that we may begin contact tracing as soon as possible.
- Covid guidelines were recently updated and an overview of protocols for exposures and positive cases can be found here - https://www.wcpss.net/WhenToReturn
- Weekly on-campus Covid testing is being conducted every Tuesday before lunches for students that are registered to participate. Once you are registested, your student will receive a test each week unless you opt out. Information can be found here - https://www.wcpss.net/Page/50523
- Basketball Updates from Ligon:
We are reaching out to provide you with some updates regarding spectators for boys and girls basketball games at Ligon. With the recent spike in COVID cases, we will be limiting the number of spectators that we welcome to each event.
For games at Ligon, we will be limiting the grade levels that are able to attend our games. We will have a detailed schedule that outlines which games a grade-level student can attend. The games are listed below.
8th Grade Games - 1/27& 2/7
Due to limited seating, we will be strictly enforcing the face-covering expectation that all spectators are required to wear face coverings properly over the nose, mouth, and chin. Repeated reminders to properly wear a face covering will result in the spectator being asked to leave.
No food or drink will be allowed in the gym, and concessions will not be sold.
We thank you for your help as we work to uphold health and safety guidelines for the rest of our basketball season.
Thank you for your support in advance.
The yearbook team needs your help! Please send in your pictures via this link (code: 416224658) of the winter track out. 8th-grade parents, don’t forget to purchase recognition ads for your student! The deadline for ads has been extended to 1/31/22. There are only 24 yearbooks left, order yours now at jostens.com! Please see this list to confirm if you’ve already purchased your yearbook.
- Schedule Holes:
Please take a moment and have your student view their schedule for next semester to see if they still have gaps in their schedule. If so, please email your selections to Mr. Wray (email@example.com) or Mrs. Estes (firstname.lastname@example.org). Course descriptions and which classes are available during Quarter 4 are listed below:
- Magnet Information
If you have a student currently in 5th or 8th grade at a magnet school, you MUST APPLY if you wish to continue at a magnet school at the next grade level. Apply now at magnet.wcpss.net/apply. The deadline to apply has been extended to February 6.
Students rising into 6th and rising 9th-grade who are siblings of magnet students who are rising into grades 7-8 or grades 10-12 have automatically been assigned to the magnet school of the older sibling. Parents may email email@example.com for confirmation of the sibling's assignment.
Applicants may apply to any magnet school that is an option for their address, although applying to the pathway school for the current school provides the highest priority to be selected (wcpss.net/priorities). Students with magnet status who apply to the pathway middle or high school for the current school/program (wcpss.net/pathways), will be selected for that school. Students with magnet status may also apply to other magnet schools and list them as higher choices than the pathway school. If the applicant is not selected for the other magnets, the applicant will be put in the applicant pool for your first choice school and will still be selected for the pathway magnet school.
Students received their Student Assignment sheets for next year’s school the last day before break. If your child did not get one, they can get it from Ms. Stuart in the Main Office. You can also view your assignment in PowerSchool under Next Year Assignment. Students are assigned to their base high school that is associated with the address that we have on file.
Ways to learn more about Magnet High School Options:
- Check out the Magnet High School options via the Magnet website (https://www.wcpss.net/magnet)
- Tour High Schools that interest you and your 8th grader. Each High School decides if their tours will be offered virtually and/or in person. https://www.wcpss.net/Page/33343
- Not sure which magnet school will be right for you? Check out the Magnet Pathways and the Magnet Explorer Tool
- Students, do you have questions about high school? Parents, do you have any questions about the high school process? Please email (firstname.lastname@example.org) or schedule an appointment with Mrs. Estes at https://calendly.com/jestes2. Parents, I will send you a Google Meet link for our meeting.
On February 23, 2022, you will be notified of your Early College/Magnet results and your High School placement for next year. I will work with your 8th-grade students before Spring Break on registering for their high school courses. Please reach out to Jacinta Estes, 8th Grade School Counselor, with any questions at email@example.com or 919-664-5737 ext 26648.
- 2022 NC Comfort Zone Camps
Comfort Zone Camp provides FREE weekend bereavement camps for children ages 7-17 (18 if still in high school) who have experienced the death of a parent, sibling, or primary caregiver. The first camp is March 11-13 in Wake Forest, NC at YMCA Camp Kanata. Camp flyer
If you are interested in volunteering, they are also offering a volunteer training on Saturday, February 5th in Raleigh, NC. Volunteers must be 15 or older.
- 8th Grade Kick-Off to College
CFNC is hosting an “8th grade kick-off to College” webinar scheduled on January 27th @ 6:30 p.m. Register: https://bit.ly/3vAIHKg Learn about ways to help your student get career and college ready with CFNC.
- Marbles Teen Play Corps:
Calling all rising 7th-10 graders! Interested in building leadership skills and working alongside Team Marbles to spark imagination, discovery, and learning through play? Apply to be a part of Marble Teen Play Corps! Participants playfully engage younger kids in hands-on learning in Marble exhibits, programs, camps, events, and in the community. Accepting applications now through February 2022. https://www.marbleskidsmuseum.org/teen-play-corps