Weekly Update 1/7/22
- Covid Reminders:
- Covid guidelines were recently updated and an overview of protocols for exposures and positive cases can be found here - https://www.wcpss.net/WhenToReturn
- Weekly on-campus Covid testing at Moore Square MS will begin next Tuesday during lunch for students that are registered to participate. Information can be found here - https://www.wcpss.net/Page/50523
- During 2nd quarter, outside lunch was limited (alternating daily between students seated at odd/even-numbered tables) due to roof construction. Now that the construction project is complete, we can offer outside seating daily* for all students. With the limited availability of outdoor tables, remind your student that the ground will be cold - they may wish to consider bringing something to sit on while outside. *This is contingent on staffing and favorable weather conditions.
- Winter Hat, Gloves, and Blanket Collection 1/10-1/14
M2MS Fundraising Club is collecting new and/or gently used winter hats, gloves, and blankets for Oak City Cares starting Monday in the school lobby. Students who donate get entered into a raffle to silly string M2MS staff members! Let’s show we care by sharing warm items to our community.
- After-School Musical:
Audition for The Lion King, Jr. on Tuesday 1/11 or Wednesday 1/12 from 2:30-4:30. Callbacks will be Thursday 1/13 from 2:30-4:30. https://sites.google.com/wcpss.net/m2mstheatre/after-school-theatre
The yearbook team needs your help! Please send in your pictures via this link (code: 416224658) of the winter track out. 8th-grade parents, don’t forget to purchase recognition ads for your student! The deadline for ads has been extended to 1/31/22. There are only 24 yearbooks left, order yours now at jostens.com! Please see this list to confirm if you’ve already purchased your yearbook.
- Spelling Bee:
- 12/8: Oral spelling bee contestants announced
- 1/19: Moore Square oral spelling bee
- Schedule Holes:
Please take a moment and have your student view their schedule for next semester to see if they still have gaps in their schedule. If so, please email your selections to Mr. Wray (firstname.lastname@example.org) or Mrs. Estes (email@example.com). Course descriptions and which classes are available during Quarter 3 and Quarter 4 are listed below:
- 8th Graders: Magnet High School Information
Students received their Student Assignment sheets for next year’s school the last day before break. If your child did not get one they can get it from Ms. Stuart in the Main Office. You can also view your assignment in PowerSchool under Next Year Assignment. Students are assigned to their base high school that is associated with the address that we have on file.
Early College applications are now closed but you can still apply for a magnet high school until January 27th.
Ways to learn more about Magnet High School Options:
- Check out the Magnet High School options via the Magnet website (https://www.wcpss.net/magnet)
- Attend one of the Virtual Parent Info Sessions to receive general information about early colleges, magnet schools, and themes, and the application/selection process. RSVP HERE
- Tour High Schools that interest you and your 8th grader. Each High School decides if their tours will be offered virtually and/or in person. https://www.wcpss.net/Page/33343
- Not sure which magnet school will be right for you? Check out the Magnet Pathways and the Magnet Explorer Tool
- Students, do you have questions about high school? Parents, do you have any questions about the high school process? Please email (firstname.lastname@example.org) or schedule an appointment with Mrs. Estes at https://calendly.com/jestes2. Parents, I will send you a Google Meet link for our meeting.
On February 23, 2022, you will be notified of your Early College/Magnet results and your High School placement for next year. I will work with your 8th-grade students before Spring Break on registering for their high school courses. Please reach out to Jacinta Estes, 8th Grade School Counselor, with any questions at email@example.com or 919-664-5737 ext 26648.
- Marbles Teen Play Corps:
Calling all rising 7th-10 graders! Interested in building leadership skills and working alongside Team Marbles to spark imagination, discovery, and learning through play? Apply to be a part of Marble Teen Play Corps! Participants playfully engage younger kids in hands-on learning in Marble exhibits, programs, camps, events, and in the community. Accepting applications now through February 2022. https://www.marbleskidsmuseum.org/teen-play-corps