Weekly Update 12/10/21
- Quarter 2 Spirit Week, December 13-17th:
Monday- Winter in Hawaii
Tuesday- Fuzzy Socks Day
Wednesday- “Anything But A Backpack” Day
Thursday- Ugly Sweaters
Friday- Winter PJ Day
- End of Quarter 2
12/10/21: All work for Q2 will be entered into PowerSchool.
12/17/21: Last day of the quarter. All missing/makeup/retake work turned in.
1/7/21: Q2 Report Cards go home.
While teachers will continue to give new work next week, all new grades taken from the week of 12/13 will be included on the Quarter 3 report card. Please check PowerSchool with your child and encourage them to make up any work that they are eligible to complete based on the Moore Square grading policy.
- Moore Square Giving Tree:
This year Moore Square will be hosting a gift card drive to assist with making the upcoming holiday season a little brighter for some of our students and their families. Please see the attached flyer for additional information. Our drive starts today and will end on Thursday, December 16th. Please feel free to share this flyer with your family, friends, and social circles.
The yearbook team needs your help! Please send in your pictures via this link (code: 416224658) of hobbies and talents. 8th-grade parents, don’t forget to purchase recognition ads for your student! The deadline for ads is 12/31/21. There are only 55 yearbooks left, order yours now at jostens.com! Please see this list to confirm if you’ve already purchased your yearbook.
- After School Clubs-Remaining First Semester Dates:
- FBLA and Dungeons & Dragons- 12/15
- Be The Man- 12/16
- GSA- 12/13
- Newspaper Club- 12/15
- Spelling Bee:
- 11/19: Study word lists sent home with all students by ELA teachers
- 12/3: Written spelling test through all ELA classes
- 12/8: Oral spelling bee contestants announced
- 1/19: Moore Square oral spelling bee
- Schedule Holes:
Please take a moment and have your student view their schedule for next semester to see if they still have gaps in their schedule. If so, please email your selections to Mr. Wray (firstname.lastname@example.org) or Mrs. Estes (email@example.com). Course descriptions and which classes are available during Quarter and Quarter 4 are listed below:
- 8th Graders: Early College and Magnet High School Information
It is time for you and your 8th grader to begin planning for high school and we want to ensure that you are prepared for this experience. Each 8th grader is assigned to a BASE high school according to your address in our PowerSchool database system. You may select to attend your Base High School or apply to attend an Early College or Magnet High School. You can find your Base school here- https://wwwgis2.wcpss.net/addressLookup/
Ways to learn more about Early College and Magnet High School Options:
- Check out the Magnet High School and Early College options via the Magnet website (https://www.wcpss.net/magnet)
- Attend one of the Virtual Parent Info Sessions to receive general information about early colleges, magnet schools, and themes, and the application/selection process. RSVP HERE
- Tour High Schools that interest you and your 8th grader. Each High School and Early College decide if their tours will be offered virtually and/or in person. https://www.wcpss.net/Page/33343
- Not sure which magnet school or Early College will be right for you? Check out the Magnet Pathways and the Magnet Explorer Tool
- There will be a new Early College opening up in August 2022 in the RTP area...Wake Early College of Information and Biotechnologies. If you are interested in Network management, Computer Programming, Cybersecurity, and Biotechnology, please check it out. https://www.wcpss.net/site/default.aspx?PageID=50262
- The deadline for Early College applications is Tuesday, December 14th. Please email Mrs. Estes (firstname.lastname@example.org) if you have any questions.
- Students, do you need help with your Early College applications or have questions about high school? Parents, do you have any questions about the high school process? Please email (email@example.com) or schedule an appointment with Mrs. Estes at https://calendly.com/jestes2 . Parents, I will send you a Google Meet link for our meeting.
How to apply:
- The application period for Early Colleges is October 15th-December 14th. Early College application process. Please note 3 recommendations are required: 1 ELA teacher (anyone you had from 6-8), 1 Math teacher (anyone you had from 6-8), and one Administrator or Counselor. Apply here: https://earlycolleges.wcpss.net/apply/
- The application period for Magnet Schools is October 15th-January 27th. Magnet School application process. Apply here: https://magnet.wcpss.net/apply/
- View the video: Video: How to Apply to an Early College https://youtu.be/4_C2C7l1_wU
On February 23, 2022 you will be notified of your Early College/Magnet results and your High School placement for next year. I will work with your 8th grade students before Spring Break on registering for their high school courses. Please reach out to Jacinta Estes, 8th Grade School Counselor, with any questions at firstname.lastname@example.org or 919-664-5737 ext 26648.
- PTSA Information:
- Staff Gift Crowd link: Thanks to all who have participated in the Gift Crowd so far! Our Gift Crowd event for staff will end at 9am on December 17th
- Holiday Drop off:We would also like to provide our staff with some treats for the last day of school (12/17)! Please take a look at this Sign-up Genius and contribute, if you are able. Drop off will be 12/13. Questions? Contact Susan Levy: email@example.com
- Candy grams will be delivered next week. Thanks to the generous donations, all students will receive a candy gram (allergy-free). It’s not too late to donate via the links below! A portion of the profits will be donated to the Children’s Hospital Foundation.
- https://www.paypal.com/us/fundraiser/charity/1266695 OR
- Arts Boosters:
- Thank you so much to those that participated in our first Kids Night Out activity on December 3. The kids had a great time connecting outside of school walls and parents enjoyed conversing in an environment that didn’t involve a camera. Please watch for future events to celebrate our Arts minded children, allowing them to explore offerings within our city and grow from opportunities to socialize in different environments. And of course, they get to have loads of fun while doing it.
- We would also like to extend special thanks to those able to come out and attend the December Arts Performances. This week, the Band amazed us with holiday and Star Wars tunes and Chorus tantalized our ears with yuletide favorites. The Arts Boosters Council would like to thank everyone for their contributions at the concession stand we are hosting at each of the four December Arts performances. All proceeds from the sale of roses, snacks, and waters, go to our fundraiser which supports our Arts Faculty to buy instruments, music, and various supporting items for our students to flourish in their Arts development. We can’t wait to be part of the Dance and Strings performances next week. Please come out to support our Arts students. The performances do not disappoint, and admission is on the house!
- Shout out to the National Junior Honor Society students who have been volunteering to support the Arts performances. We appreciate your help and enjoy your enthusiastic spirit.
- If you are looking for a creative and festive way to support your favorite organizations, like the Arts Boosters, please vote for the Red Light, Green Light tree! This tree is inspired by the Town of Cary Giving Tree Project. Sponsors of the tree that receive the most votes will be able to donate $250 or $500 to their favorite non-profit. In this case, the sponsors are excited to donate to the Moore Square Arts Boosters! Here is the link to vote today!