Weekly Update 11/5/20 Facebook Live with Mr. Squires
Facebook Live Transcript from Mr. Squires 11.5.20
Good afternoon everyone,
I am Barry Squires, one of the Assistant Principals at Moore Square Middle. I am excited to be back on Facebook Live this week. I was unable to be with the team last week so I was not able to introduce myself to many of our Spanish-speaking families. So I will begin by saying…
Buenas tardes a todos,
Soy Barry Squires, uno de los ayudantes del director de Moore Square Middle. Estoy emocionado de estar de vuelta en Facebook Live esta semana. No pude estar con el equipo la semana pasada, así que no pude presentarme a muchas de nuestras familias de habla hispana.
Plan B Students Return
We can’t tell you how excited we are to have students back in the building next week. Beginning Monday, November 9th, Cohort 3 students will return to school for their first rotation. These students will attend school on Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday. VA students, Cohorts 1 and 2 will continue with Remote Learning on those days. Wednesday, November 11 is a holiday. There will be no instruction for Virtual Academy, Remote Learning, or Cohort 3 students on that date.
Many of you have had questions about how the school day will change when we begin having students return to campus
In most cases, we don’t anticipate a change in teachers. In some cases where teachers are teaching the same core class (ie: Social Studies, Science, ELA) teachers may share the responsibility of teaching the VA, remote, and face to face students. In these cases, the teachers will plan together and use the same pacing guides to develop their lessons.
In some cases, teachers will deliver their live instruction (25) minutes to their virtual & remote students and then transition to their face to face students for the second half of the period. In other cases, teachers will be splitting up the responsibility for the remote/virtual students and face to face students.
This will vary due to the difference in the number of teachers we have who teach the same content areas.
Teachers are currently finalizing their plans for how they will deliver the instruction once we have students return to campus. The scenarios will vary, but students will still be following their daily schedule as they are doing now.
Once teacher plans are finalized, you will be notified of any changes to your child’s schedule.
In some cases, teachers are teleworking. Students enrolled in classes taught by teachers who are teleworking will receive their instruction through Google Meets as they have been doing. The teleworking teacher will remain the teacher of record for their students. The student will follow his/her assigned schedule. There will be an adult in the classroom to supervise and support students in these instances. Just know that we are working diligently to provide the best possible Face to Face Instruction possible in every classroom.
Preparing Your Students
Safety - Talk with your students now about some of the safety measures we will be taking to keep everyone safe. We need them to do their part in following district and state guidelines such as wearing masks, social distancing, washing hands and using sanitizer, and moving quickly to their assigned area. Oftentimes, these regulations can seem excessive or unnecessary in the minds of some. It’s important that you speak to your students about following the guidelines no matter their opinion of them. These guidelines are what we are all expected to follow. Please reach out to the administration if you have questions about the safety guidelines.
Materials - Cohort students should bring their 2nd quarter materials, Chromebook or personal device, and their charger each day. These are essential to continuing with instruction.
Bathroom and Water - Grade levels have designated bathroom times to make sure social distancing and hygiene recommendations are followed at all times. Students with bathroom emergencies will need to see their teacher. Teachers will be monitoring to make sure no more than 2 persons are in the bathroom at any time during the class period. As you can imagine all of this can put a strain on instructional time. Please talk with your student about utilizing the designated times as much as possible. We are also requesting students to use a refillable water bottle daily as the water fountains will not be available for use during transitions. Again, we are seeking to keep everyone safe. You can reach out to the administration if you have further questions.
View our entire Google folder of videos and pictures outlining our procedures and guidelines.
Many of you have signed up for Carpool Tags. If you have not done so, please complete this form. Once completed, you will be provided two carpool tags per student. Families with siblings will receive two tags with both siblings listed on the tag. Tags will be distributed in carpool on Davie St in the morning and in the afternoon.
In the morning, students arriving by carpool will have to be screened. This includes a temperature check and answering the screening questions. Students should remain in their vehicles until directed to exit. Parents are to remain in the carpool line until they receive the indication from a staff member that their student is cleared to enter the building. Students who do not pass the screening will re-enter the vehicle with their parent and return home.
One noted difference this year, we will not use the bell to dismiss students in the halls or to their afternoon transportation. All students will remain in their 7th period class at the end of the day. In the afternoon, parents will display the Carpool Tag indicating the student they are picking up. All students will remain in their classes. A staff member will call for individual students using a spreadsheet that displays in all classrooms. Students will be allowed to report to their car, once their name has been displayed. This is the same for students receiving Special Transportation. Bus riders will be dismissed by their bus number or by their last name if they ride express busing. Social distancing and safety guidelines will be followed during dismissal.
Update on VA survey
The Virtual Academy Spring Registration window was open until November 4th. Parents, you will receive confirmation through School Messenger by November 11th. We are working on preparing this information and making sure we have accurate information from the district registration. It would help if you would ensure we have an accurate phone and email addresses for you. Please check PowerSchool or update here- https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLScTYo3e4_2iEn2A-VoJfPklvCODcQTNHzGajzGbg1Z9TOME4w/viewform?vc=0&c=0&w=1&flr=0
Check PS for Report Card grades
Speaking of PowerSchool...Parents and students, please check PowerSchool for Quarter 1 grades. Grades have been updated for all students. Physical report cards will not be distributed. Please reach out to your student’s teachers if you have questions about grades.
Magnet Fair on Saturday
The District magnet fair for Magnet, Early College, and Year-rounds will take place this Saturday, November 7th from 9 am to 12pm. It is a Virtual Fair. You can find details on the Wake County Website. Moore Square will be participating in the Virtual Fair, so this is a great opportunity for you to invite family and friends to learn more about our school.
Accountability forms emailed to Mrs. DiBlasi for in-person students
Veteran's Day Holiday (11/11)
There is no instruction for any students on 11/11. Enjoy your day!
Picture Day (11/18)
Picture day for ALL Cohorts and VA students is on Wednesday 11/18. Families must sign up their students for an appointment. The link is found on our web page. Please know that we want your students to be in the yearbook and we want to reserve as many traditions as possible. Please take the time to participate in picture day. Parents, because of safety protocols, you must remain outside the building while your child takes a picture.
We are looking for Adult Volunteers to help tidy the outside of our campus. The PTSA sent out a sign up genius to assist in coordinating efforts.
Ms. Langston's message about books
Hi Amazing Families of Moore Square! The other week my DonorsChoose project titled "Bound to Read" was fully funded! This project's goal is to get free book series to any student at Moore Square who LOVES to read and simply want to start a new book adventure. All you need to do is stop by Moore Square Monday afternoon 11/9 from 2:30-3:30 and pick out a book set (one book series per family). The book sets are 'first come first served' basis so I can't reserve any. The book list is below and a HUGE THANK YOU to PTSA and ALL of my parents who support my class EVERYDAY!
- Diary of a Wimpy Kid 12 Books Complete Collection Set New(Diary Of a Wimpy Kid,Rodrick Rules,The Last Straw,Dog Days,The Ugly Truth,Cabin Fever,The Third Wheel,Hard Luck,The Long Haul,Old School..etc • AMAZON BUSINESS
- The Land of Stories Complete Paperback Gift Set • AMAZON BUSINESS
- Amulet #1-8 Box Set • AMAZON BUSINESS
- The Lunar Chronicles Boxed Set: Cinder, Scarlet, Cress, Fairest, Stars Above, Winter • AMAZON BUSINESS
- How to Train Your Dragon: The Complete Series: Paperback Gift Set • AMAZON BUSINESS
- Harry Potter Paperback Box Set (Books 1-7) • AMAZON BUSINESS
- Charlie Bone and the Shadow of Badlock Children of the Red King, Jenny Nimmo (Charlie Bone and the Shadow of Badlock (Children of the Red King)) • AMAZON BUSINESS
- Magnus Chase and the Gods of Asgard Paperback Boxed Set • AMAZON BUSINESS
- The Legend of Zelda Box Set • AMAZON BUSINESS
- The Unwanteds Collection: The Unwanteds; Island of Silence; Island of Fire; Island of Legends; Island of Shipwrecks; Island of Graves; Island of Dragons • AMAZON BUSINESS
- Dog Man: The Supa Epic Collection: From the Creator of Captain Underpants (Dog Man #1-6 Boxed Set) • AMAZON BUSINESS
- Captain Underpants: 10 Book Set • AMAZON BUSINESS
- The Heroes of Olympus Paperback Boxed Set (10th Anniversary Edition) • AMAZON BUSINESS
- Trapped in a Video Game: The Complete Series • AMAZON BUSINESS
- Fablehaven Complete Set (Boxed Set): Fablehaven; Rise of the Evening Star; Grip of the Shadow Plague; Secrets of the Dragon Sanctuary; Keys to the Demon Prison • AMAZON BUSINESS
- Bone: The Complete Cartoon Epic in One Volume • AMAZON BUSINESS
- Chronicles of Narnia Box Set • AMAZON BUSINESS
- Classic Chapter Book Collection (Pokémon) (15) • AMAZON BUSINESS
- Story Thieves Complete Collection: Story Thieves; The Stolen Chapters; Secret Origins; Pick the Plot; Worlds Apart • AMAZON BUSINESS
- The Shadow and Bone Trilogy Boxed Set: Shadow and Bone, Siege and Storm, Ruin and Rising • AMAZON BUSINESS
- Kane Chronicles, The Paperback Box Set (The Kane Chronicles Box Set with Graphic Novel Sampler) • AMAZON BUSINESS
- Percy Jackson and the Olympians 5 Book Paperback Boxed Set (new covers w/poster) (Percy Jackson & the Olympians) • AMAZON BUSINESS
- The Seeds of America Trilogy: Chains; Forge; Ashes • AMAZON BUSINESS
- Artemis Fowl 3-book Paperback Boxed Set (Artemis Fowl, Books 1-3) • AMAZON BUSINESS
- Wayside School Boxed Set: Wayside School Gets a Little Stranger, Wayside School is Falling Down, Sideway Stories from Wayside School • AMAZON BUSINESS
- My Big Fat Zombie Goldfish Boxed Set: (My Big Fat Zombie Goldfish; The Seaquel; Fins of Fury) • AMAZON BUSINESS