Return to Headlines

Rising 7th Graders Required Vaccinations

Attention: Parents of Rising 7th Graders Your child will need more vaccines! North Carolina law now requires Tdap and Meningococcal vaccines for entry into 7th grade.


What does Tdap vaccine do?

Tdap vaccine protects your child against whooping cough (pertussis), tetanus (lock jaw) and diphtheria. These three diseases can make your child very sick. Some children die from them.


What does Meningococcal vaccine do?

Meningococcal vaccine protects your child against 4 types of meningococcal disease. Meningococcal disease can cause blood infections and meningitis (an infection of the fluid around the brain and spinal cord). These diseases can make your child very sick. Some children die from them.


What do I need to do?

  • Talk to your child’s doctor to find out if your child needs Tdap or Meningococcal vaccine.

  • Make sure your child gets the vaccines they need before they start 7th grade.

  • Get a copy of your child’s shot record to take to school.

  • While at the doctor, make sure your child is up to date on other vaccines and their yearly check up.


Where can my child get these vaccines?

Your child’s doctor or health care provider. If your child does not have a health care provider, call a Wake County Human Services location:


Fuquay Varina—Southern Regional Center

130 North Judd Parkway

Call 919-212-7000 and ask for an appointment at the Southern Regional Center


Wake Forest—Northern Regional Center 

350 E. Holding Avenue

Call 919-562-6300 for an appointment 


Raleigh—Public Health Center

10 Sunnybrook Road

 Call 919-250-3900 for an appointment



Zebulon—Eastern Regional Center 

1002 Dogwood Lane 

Call 919-404-3900 for an appointment