- Wake County Public School System
Welcome to the 2019-2020 School Year!
Greetings Parkside Families! This is your proud principal, Teresa Caswell, writing with all things beginning of the 2019-2020 School year! As always, thank you for your partnership and support.
Building Update: We have a beautiful new sign, the gates are coming down, and the interior is working through cleaning, repairs, and finishing touches! I cannot wait to see families faces as they enter the first time! Get a sneak peak through this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bVGDKezi3hc
IMPORTANT: If you know you will NOT be attending Parkside next school year, please complete this form to let me know https://forms.gle/59NHv2LC12tALKNf8 Parkside’s staffing and class creation is based on student enrollment. Thank you so much!
2019-20 School Hours: Doors will open for arrival at 8:45 with the tardy bell at 9:15. Please do not drop off your child before 8:45 as there will not be staff available to supervise them. Dismissal will begin at 3:45. Students will not be dismissed from class after 3:15 and all transportation changes must be provided in writing (not email) for safety reasons. Thank you!
Before care will be provided by Parkside staff - You can still register on July 8th at our meet the teacher/staff/open house event (times – see below).
Do you live in Breckenridge and need carpool and/or walker tags? Please complete this form https://forms.gle/JacxLgB9d41X5Arj7
If you do NOT live in Breckenridge and need carpool tags, please complete this form: https://forms.gle/TTSwixozvo8RpVF18
- After care will be provided by the YMCA – they are aware that the link has had issues, however, registration is now open and can be accessed at the Carpenter Firestation YMCA or at the following link: https://www.ymcatriangle.org/programs-services/childcare/after-school/northwest-cary-ymca/northwest-cary-ymca-%E2%80%93-after-school
- Walk Zone – The Morrisville Police Department has approved crossing guards –at Parkside Valley and Willingham and the other at Parkside Valley and Corsair. At this time the Breckenridge community is considered a walk zone. Specific routes will be communicated in June for families to follow that will ensure the safest access to the school. Walkers will have tags designating parent permission to walk alone (3rd-5thGrade), with a 3rd-5th grade sibling (K-2nd), or only through a parent pick-up. A permission form will be sent in June.
- I have heard of some areas of the Breckenridge community who are starting carpool rotations for their students to help with the walk zone - I love our school-family!
- Carpool – Carpool tags will be distributed at meet the teacher on July 8th.
- Bus Transportation – Please see the following site if you live outside the Breckenridge neighborhood and will use bus service. http://webarchive.wcpss.net/school-directory/bus-routes/527.html All Parkside bus riders will have bus tags affixed to their backpacks which must stay on to ensure rider safety. Transportation representatives will be available July 8th.
July 8th! Rising 1st – 5th Grades: Track 1 at 10am, Track 2 at 11:30am, and Track 3 at 1pm - Teacher Meet and Mingle and view the school!
- July 8th - Track 4 and incoming Kindergarteners (all tracks) are invited to view the school at 3pm; Track 4 Meet and Mingle will be July 26th at 1pm in the combined gym/café. Incoming Kinder – please see your staggered entry and meet the teacher dates: https://bit.ly/31pjiDJ
- On July 8th – families in the walk zone are encouraged to walk to Parkside to a) see how the walk goes, discuss expectations with your child and, b) support our limited parking. Please adhere to your tracks meet the teacher times – for these reasons and to ensure your child’s teacher is ready to receive you!
Before and after school opportunities
- NEW! Chorus! Students in grades 3, 4, and 5 interested in being part of the inaugural parkside choral ensemble are encouraged to sign up via the following link: https://forms.gle/qrU4ZtDbZiNFb5Xr6 Chorus will be held on Tuesday mornings, 8-9am - there is no fee for Chorus
- Band: Register at http://www.parksideelementaryband.com/ This is a pay-for program Monday and Wednesday mornings, 8-9am
- KIDZ ART:
Another pay-for enrichment option afterschool (4-5pm) on Tuesday’s beginning August 13th: KidzArt classes help students advance their skills in drawing, painting, and design. Learn about and be inspired by realism, anime, abstract, impressionism etc., while creating beautiful artwork using a variety of fine art mediums such as; watercolor paint, chalk pastels, oil pastels, canvas, charcoal, watercolor pencils and much more. Every week is a brand new project that students will be able to take home after class. All supplies and materials provided by KidzArt. You may register at:
PTA Volunteer Opportunities- If you are interested in being involved with events and activities for our school community, please follow the link to the PTA Volunteer Interest survey. You can see the ways being proposed to enhance the school experience for our students and teachers, or you can make a suggestion about what you'd like to see offered. https://forms.gle/UwmsQFjfYqsFLDbX8
The time has arrived – see you in just over a week!
Warmly, Teresa Caswell, Principal