- Wake County Public School System
The Parkside Semi-Monthly 5/17/19
Greetings Parkside Families! This is your proud principal, Teresa Caswell, writing with some updated information. Reminder – again, please note that this Sunday’s rising 2nd, 3rd, and 4th grade Picnic with the Principal has been postponed (email sent Wednesday 5/15) until June. I understand that new date, June 16th, is Father’s Day. I am looking at another park to see if a shelter is available June 15th. If not, we will continue June 16th with our Picnic with the Principal including “Papas!” As this an event to connect families together, and our hope that father’s will be an equal percentage of parent engagement at Parkside, a Papa-centric Picnic with the Principal seems appropriate. Stay tuned for final details keeping 11am – 1pm on the 15th and 16th penciled in until a final date is set!
School Supplies: Please see the school website for grade-specific school supply lists. The PTA is working on an option where a supply kit company will collect the items and have them sent directly to your homes (if you so choose). Stay tuned for more info.
IMPORTANT: If you know you will NOT be attending Parkside next school year, please complete this form to let me know https://forms.gle/59NHv2LC12tALKNf8 Parkside’s staffing and class creation is based on student enrollment. Thank you so much!
Thank You! I would like to extend my gratitude to the Carpenter Fire Station YMCA for hosting our Kindergarten Orientation May 8th and providing activities to our incoming Sandpipers! It was a very successful event and the powerpoint presentation is available on our website. Please let me know if you have any questions moving forward.
Update: June 1st – Saturday 3pm – Band Show and Tell at Brier Creek Elementary Media Center (rising 3rd through 5th graders can elect to be a part of the Piper Band taught and directed by Summerglen Music’s Christina Thompson and Andrew Munger. Band sessions will run on Mondays and Wednesdays from 8:00-9:00am – PLEASE NOTE THE TIME CHANGE. This is a pay-for program.
PTA Volunteer Opportunities- If you are interested in being involved with events and activities for our school community, please follow the link to the PTA Volunteer Interest survey. You can see the ways being proposed to enhance the school experience for our students and teachers, or you can make a suggestion about what you'd like to see offered.
Reminders and Information:
Before and After Care
- Before care will be provided by Parkside staff – we are in the process of setting that up with WCPSS. Registration will be by track in June – more information is forthcoming the last week in May.
- After care will be provided by the YMCA – they are aware that the link has had issues, however, registration is now open and can be accessed at the Carpenter Firestation YMCA or at the following link: https://www.ymcatriangle.org/programs-services/childcare/after-school/northwest-cary-ymca/northwest-cary-ymca-%E2%80%93-after-school
- Walk Zone – The Morrisville Police Department has approved crossing guards –at Parkside Valley and Willingham and the other at Parkside Valley and Corsair. At this time the Breckenridge community is considered a walk zone. Specific routes will be communicated in June for families to follow that will ensure the safest access to the school. Walkers will have tags designating parent permission to walk alone (3rd-5th Grade), with a 3rd-5th grade sibling (K-2nd), or only through a parent pick-up. A permission form will be sent in June.
- I have heard of some areas of the Breckenridge community who are starting carpool rotations for their students to help with the walk zone - I love our school-family!
- Carpool – Carpool tags will be distributed at meet the teacher on July 8th. A form to note your need for a tag will be sent in June.
- Bus Transportation – Please see the following site if you live outside the Breckenridge neighborhood and would like bus service. The county will post bus routes June 21st. All Parkside bus riders will have bus tags affixed to their backpacks which must stay on to ensure rider safety. Thank you! https://www.wcpss.net/Page/39302
- Kinder and First grade- popsicles with the principal (Saturday at one of the sending school playgrounds–2pm - Saturday June 8th).
- 5th Grade BBQ (6pm - SUNDAY June 9th, at Morrisville Community Park Shelter) – All incoming 5th graders, and their parents, along with Parkside administrators, teachers, and other support staff (specials, counselors, etc.)… join us for an evening just for those who will be the first 5th grade class of Parkside Pipers!
- 2nd, 3rd and 4th grades – Picnic with the Principal and Papas!– Pullen Park (11am-1pm Sunday June 16th): Bring your sandpipers and lunch and meet me at Pullen Park one Saturday to enjoy the weather, have lunch (bring your own), play and get to know each other as a school-family.
July 8th – CONFIRMED! Rising 1st – 5th Grades: Track 1 at 10am, Track 2 at 11:30am, and Track 3 at 1pm - Teacher Meet and Mingle and view the school!
- July 8th - Track 4 and incoming Kindergarteners (all tracks) are invited to view the school at 3pm; Track 4 Meet and Mingle will be July 26th at 1pm in the combined gym/café.
- On July 8th – families in the walk zone are encouraged to walk to Parkside to a) see how the walk goes, discuss expectations with your child and, b) support our limited parking. Please adhere to your tracks meet the teacher times – for these reasons and to ensure your child’s teacher is ready to receive you!
It is almost June! I hope all have a wonderful end to May – My next newsletter will be sent May 31st with updates from the building construction crew! Please let me know if I can help you in anyway as we move closer to our new year together.