October 14, 2019
EWHS Weekly Message – Week of October 14, 2019
PTSA Meeting | The PTSA will meet on Tuesday, October 15 at 6 p.m. in the media center.
PSAT/NMSQT | The PSAT/NMSQT will be administered on Wednesday, October 16. In order to take this assessment, students had to sign up in advance.
Dessert Gala Performance | The East Wake High Choral program will host the 2019 Dessert Gala on Thursday, October 17 at 7 p.m. in the auditorium. Please come out to support this event.
Fuquay Varina Festival of Bands |The East Wake High Blue Spirit Marching Band will be performing on Saturday, October 19 at Fuquay Varina High School.
October 21 - Noche de Padres Latino (Latino Parent Night) | El lunes 21 de octubre, a las 6pm, organizamos la Noche de Padres Latinos en el centro de medios. Se invita a las familias a aprender sobre recursos de salud, financieros y educativos. Compartiremos información sobre los programas del Título 1 y los próximos talleres familiares para ayudar a las familias que necesitan asistencia / apoyo adicional. Los invitados especiales incluyen a la Dra. Rosa Rangel de la Oficina de Asuntos de Equidad y Juana Hernández, Gerente de Servicios de Español para College Foundation of North Carolina.
¡Se proporcionará cena gratis a los participantes y sortearemos una tarjeta de gasolina Sheetz! ¡Este es un evento que no te querrás perder!
Damos la bienvenida a su familia a East Wake High School y estaremos ofreciendo actividades de mesa para entretener a los niños menores de 10 años. Esperamos que este sea un evento anual y esperamos trabajar con usted para apoyar a su hijo.
Confirme su asistencia en línea en bit.ly/nochelatino o llamemé al 919-365-2625 ext. 29064
On Monday, October 21st, at 6 pm, we are hosting Latino Parent Night in the media center. Families are invited to learn about health, financial and educational resources. We will be sharing information about Title 1 programs and upcoming family workshops to help families in need of additional assistance/support. Special guests include Dr. Rosa Rangel from the Office of Equity Affairs and Juana Hernandez, Spanish Services Manager for College Foundation of North Carolina.
Free dinner will be provided to participants and we will raffle a Sheetz gas card! This is an event that you don't want to miss!
We welcome your family to East Wake High School and will be providing activities for children under the age of 10. We hope to make this an annual event and look forward to working with you in support of your child.
Please confirm your attendance online at bit.ly/nochelatino or by calling me at 919-365-2625 ext. 29064.
October 22 - Senior Night/Senior Planning Meeting |On Tuesday, October 22nd, at 6 pm, East Wake High School is hosting Senior Parent Night/Senior Planning meeting in the media center. Student Services is partnering with our new Title 1 Family Engagement Center and our EWHS PTSA to sponsor this event.
Senior parents are invited to learn about options for students after high school and financial aid processes/resources. We will share information about Title 1 programs and upcoming family workshops to help families in need of additional assistance/support. Following a presentation from Student Services, parents will move into the Senior Planning meeting to plan the schedule of events for senior celebrations!
We will be providing table activities for children under the age of 10 and free dinner will be provided! Attendees are invited to enter into a raffle for a Sheetz gift card!
Please confirm your attendance online at bit.ly/ewhssenior20
We invite you to join PTSA here!
October 24 - Title 1 Parent Meeting |On Thursday, October 24 at 6 p.m., East Wake High will be hosting a Title 1 parent meeting that will share information about Title 1 programs and upcoming family workshops to help families in need of additional assistance/supports.
North Carolina Teaching Fellows Applications Now Open | Are you interested in being a teacher? Here is a scholarship that could help. Application deadline: Midnight, January 13. Apply at www.ncteachingfellows.com
- Receive up to $4,125 per semester for up to eight semesters.
- Study at a premier educator preparation program in North Carolina.
- Benefit from meaningful program activities to enrich your studies.
- Teach in a Special Education or STEM field in a North Carolina public school.
Interim Reports | Interim reports were sent home with students last week.
Hampton University On-site Admissions | On Tuesday, October 15, 2019, @ 5:30 PM at Martin St. Baptist Church Family Life Center, 1005 E. Martin St. Raleigh, NC 27601. Doors Open & Registration Begins @ 5:00 PM.
High School Seniors will receive an immediate admissions decision at the event and are automatically considered for merit scholarships (if eligible). Note: The initial review process for scholarships begins in December. For more information on admissions requirements, please visit http://admissions.hamptonu.edu/. For more information on scholarship eligibility requirements, please visit: http://admissions.hamptonu.edu/page/Scholarship-Information
High School seniors need to bring the following information to participate in the on-site admissions process:
- Please apply online at http://admissions.hamptonu.edu/page/How-to-Apply-Freshman, print the Signature Page & bring it with you and the following items to the on-site.
- Application fee of $50.00 (non-refundable). The only proof of online payment or cashier's check/money order accepted.
- Standardized Test Results (ACT or SAT scores)
Note: ACT/SAT scores submission is optional for students with at least a 3.30 cumulative academic GPA or who rank in the top 10 percent of their class, but mandatory for all students wishing to be considered for merit scholarships.
- OFFICIAL high school transcript Note: Wake County Public Schools students may bring an unofficial transcript to the on-site as long as the official transcript is sent to the school.
- One (1) letter of recommendation from a guidance counselor or teacher
- An autobiographical essay or a 250-500 words response to the following question:
If your name were an acronym, what would it stand for, and how would it reflect your strengths and personality?
Please RSVP to the Raleigh Chapter NHAA by October 10, 2019, at https://bit.ly/2xnaMqJ or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org or call/text to 919-906-6361. Please include your name, class year, phone number, high school, and intended major in your RSVP message. Please note that the $50 application fee is waived if students apply online by September 30th.
Prestige Senior Portraits and Baby Pictures | No senior portrait will be accepted for yearbook submission after Nov. 5th. Prestige submits all portraits directly to us—you need to get your portrait taken! To schedule a studio appointment, call 919-881-8361 or visit www.prestigeportraits.comfor more information.
- Prestige will be on campus Thursday, October 17 for tux/drape yearbook retake portraits. The sitting fee is $15. See Ms. Anderson with questions.
- Submit baby picture by Nov. 5thto room 159 (or upload to REPLAYIT). No picture will be accepted after this date. Write the first/last name on the back of the picture or flash drive. The picture will be returned. If you upload to REPLAYIT, make sure to tag with your first/last name.
- Cap/Gown portraits will be in February and will also have a $15 sitting fee as well as an extra fee for keychains ($10 for 2) if they have them available.
Senior Quotes (under your Senior Portrait) | Go to this link to submit your senior quotetinyurl.com/ewhsquote by Nov. 5th. If you have trouble with the link, you may bring your quote to room 159. Please make sure to put your first/last name with your quote. No more than 140 characters, please. We have the discretion to change or not to print.
Senior Ads |Submit senior ad and payment by Nov. 20th. You may bring to room 159 or go online at www.jostensadservice.comto pay with a credit card. All pictures should be turned in digitally (flash drive, REPLAYIT, email).
- We will have an ad design info night on November 6thfrom 5:30-7:30 pm in the media center.
- You may come this night with payment, pictures, and questions. You can set up an appointment with me this night as well or through email (email@example.com).
- We may or may not be able to begin designing this night based on attendance and availability.
- Full: $240 (10-12 pics) Half: $180 (5-6 pics) Quarter: $125 (3-4 pics) Eighth: $50 (1-2 pics)
- AD SPACE is limited. Last year ad space was full before the final deadline. Order early to ensure your senior will have an ad!
Yearbooks |Yearbooks are on sale now!! Order early for the best pricing.
- Online at jostensyearbooks.comor by cash, check, or money order in Room 159. $65 (plus tax)=$70 if you pay by check or cash to Ms. Anderson or go online to pay by credit card. Personalization costs are extra.
- The price will increase throughout the year.
REPLAYIT App | Download this app to upload any photos you take throughout the school year. These photos might be used in the yearbook! You can upload photos for your senior ads and baby pics.
Hurricane Dorian Make-up Days - Updated | WCPSS has designated October 31 and December 20 as make-up days. These days will be regular school days for students.
Bell Schedule | The school will operate the following bell schedule on Fridays: October 18 – D Week (Thursday Schedule), October 25 – A Week (Monday Schedule).
Morning Carpool | All carpool students should enter the North entrance driveway. At no time should students be dropped off on Rolesville Road or in the Student/Staff parking lot. The Student/Staff parking lot is marked to enter only in the mornings.
Athletics | Please come out and support our athletic teams. Additional details about these events can be found on our school calendar.
Monday, October 14
- Men’s Soccer vs Smithfield Selma
- Volleyball vs South Johnston (Senior Night)
Tuesday, October 15
- Women’s Golf @ South Johnston
Wednesday, October 16
- Men’s Soccer @ Cleveland
Thursday, October 17
- JV Football @ Clayton
Friday, October 18
- Varsity Football vs Clayton
- Volleyball @ Smithfield Selma