The Parkside Semi-Monthly 6/17/19
Greetings Parkside Families! This is your proud principal, Teresa Caswell, writing with your Parkside Semi-Monthly newsletter that includes before care registration information, reminders for 1st – 5th grade meet the teacher and kindergarten staggered entry, and other important items. As always, thank you for your partnership and support.
Thank you to all who attended our community building events the past two weeks! Popsicles with the Principal, Picnic in the Park, and the 5th Grade BBQ were are well attended and fabulous! I enjoyed seeing so many families again and meeting many new ones. A special should out to the myriad of Premier Parkside Staff who also attended – some two weekends in a row! Our classroom teachers, instructional assistants, specialists, and special areas staff not only came out to help with set up and support of the activity (such as all the BBQ food prep!) but also demonstrated their commitment to our school family as a whole. Many staff that could not attend let me know with regret that they had prior commitments and looked forward to future opportunities!
Building Update: Our school is close to being completed and, as beautiful as it is, it is tempting to go on site or, in July, to knock on the doors. Please understand that school personnel will not have permission to give community access prior to July 8th. Thank you!
2019-20 School Hours: Doors will open for arrival at 8:45 with the tardy bell at 9:15. Please do not drop off your child before 8:45 as there will not be staff available to supervise them. Dismissal will begin at 3:45. Students will not be dismissed from class after 3:15 and all transportation changes must be provided in writing (not email) for safety reasons. Thank you!
Before care will be provided by Parkside staff – we are in the process of setting that up with WCPSS. Registration opportunities: Saturday, June 22nd, 11am-12pm at Brier Creek Elementary School Media Center and Monday, June 24th, 5pm – 6pm at the back (bus loop) doors of Alston Ridge Elementary School.
School Supplies – Thursday, June 20th is the last day to order kits from 1st day school supplies: The PTA has contracted with 1st Day School Supplies – A Note from the PTA: The total price of the kits include shipping and $10 that will be donated to Parkside Elementary PTA. The kits are priced for all teacher preferred brands and are cheaper than going in the store compared to Target at $75, Walmart $109, and Amazon $94. Thank you for helping to support your PTA. https://1stdayschoolsupplies.com/kits.php?sid=1178337
You may also see the school website for grade-specific school supply lists.
IMPORTANT: If you know you will NOT be attending Parkside next school year, please complete this form to let me know https://forms.gle/59NHv2LC12tALKNf8 Parkside’s staffing and class creation is based on student enrollment. Thank you so much!
July 8th! Rising 1st – 5th Grades: Track 1 at 10am, Track 2 at 11:30am, and Track 3 at 1pm - Teacher Meet and Mingle and view the school!
- July 8th - Track 4 and incoming Kindergarteners (all tracks) are invited to view the school at 3pm; Track 4 Meet and Mingle will be July 26th at 1pm in the combined gym/café. Incoming Kinder – please see your staggered entry and meet the teacher dates: https://bit.ly/31pjiDJ
- On July 8th – families in the walk zone are encouraged to walk to Parkside to a) see how the walk goes, discuss expectations with your child and, b) support our limited parking. Please adhere to your tracks meet the teacher times – for these reasons and to ensure your child’s teacher is ready to receive you!
Before and after school opportunities
- NEW! Chorus! Students in grades 3, 4, and 5 interested in being part of the inaugural parkside choral ensemble are encouraged to sign up via the following link: https://forms.gle/qrU4ZtDbZiNFb5Xr6 Chorus will be held on Tuesday mornings, 8-9am - there is no fee for Chorus
- Band: Register at http://www.parksideelementaryband.com/ This is a pay-for program Monday and Wednesday mornings, 8-9am
- KIDZ ART:
Another pay-for enrichment option afterschool (4-5pm) on Tuesday’s beginning August 13th: KidzArt classes help students advance their skills in drawing, painting, and design. Learn about and be inspired by realism, anime, abstract, impressionism etc., while creating beautiful artwork using a variety of fine art mediums such as; watercolor paint, chalk pastels, oil pastels, canvas, charcoal, watercolor pencils and much more. Every week is a brand new project that students will be able to take home after class. All supplies and materials provided by KidzArt. You may register at:
PTA Volunteer Opportunities- If you are interested in being involved with events and activities for our school community, please follow the link to the PTA Volunteer Interest survey. You can see the ways being proposed to enhance the school experience for our students and teachers, or you can make a suggestion about what you'd like to see offered.
Reminders and Information:
- After care will be provided by the YMCA – they are aware that the link has had issues, however, registration is now open and can be accessed at the Carpenter Firestation YMCA or at the following link: https://www.ymcatriangle.org/programs-services/childcare/after-school/northwest-cary-ymca/northwest-cary-ymca-%E2%80%93-after-school
- Walk Zone – The Morrisville Police Department has approved crossing guards –at Parkside Valley and Willingham and the other at Parkside Valley and Corsair. At this time the Breckenridge community is considered a walk zone. Specific routes will be communicated in June for families to follow that will ensure the safest access to the school. Walkers will have tags designating parent permission to walk alone (3rd-5thGrade), with a 3rd-5th grade sibling (K-2nd), or only through a parent pick-up. A permission form will be sent in June.
- I have heard of some areas of the Breckenridge community who are starting carpool rotations for their students to help with the walk zone - I love our school-family!
- Carpool – Carpool tags will be distributed at meet the teacher on July 8th. A form to note your need for a tag will be sent in June.
- Bus Transportation – Please see the following site if you live outside the Breckenridge neighborhood and would like bus service. The county will post bus routes June 21st. All Parkside bus riders will have bus tags affixed to their backpacks which must stay on to ensure rider safety. Thank you! https://www.wcpss.net/Page/39302
We are a mere 23 Days away from the first day of school! Please let me know if I can help you in anyway as we move closer to our new year together.
Teresa Caswell, Principal