Weekly Update 3-1-21
Dear AFHS Parents:
This is Matt Wight with the latest news and updates from AFHS and WCPSS.
High School in-person learning will continue the 3 week rotation, March 1st with cohort 1/A. Learn More. VA students will remain virtual for the rest of this school year.
Second Semester Traditional WCPSS Calendar UPDATED 2-16-21
This calendar includes the WCPSS 1/A, 2/B, 3/C rotation schedule.
Here's what you need to do to prepare for your student’s return to campus:
- Read the Return to Campus Guide for families.
- AFHS Back to School Guide LINK
- Read Student Accountability and Required Health Protocols and sign the acknowledgement page. If you’ve already completed this form, you do not need to do it again. Email to email@example.com or turn it in your FIRST period teacher upon your return to school.
- Students who are sick or not feeling well should stay home. If a student begins to not feel well or shows signs of illness during the day, a parent or guardian will be expected to promptly pick them up from school.
- Riding the bus? Complete the required attestation form, if you haven’t already, and learn the procedures to protect everyone’s health and safety.
- Learn about expectations for face coverings. A face covering must be secured safely over the nose, mouth, and under your chin.
- Learn about changes to meal service. Consider taking advantage of the free breakfast and lunch service.
- Learn about technology in schools. Students with a WCPSS device should plan to bring them to school. Those bringing a personal device will need a signed BYOD Consent Form. Email form to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Be familiar with what happens when there is a COVID-19 case on campus.
- If your schedule allows you to serve your child’s school as a substitute teacher, please consider applying today.
Medication Drop Off is by Appointment Only
If a student has medication that is kept at school or will self-carry, please have your pediatrician complete the 1702 and contact Cmaxwell2@wcpss.net to set up an appointment for the parent drop off. WCPSS Medication Guidelines and 1702 form.
9th-11th Course Registration for the 2021-22 school year
It is time to register our current 9th-11th grade students for the 2021-22 school year. Please click the link for registration instructions. Registration Link Counselors will be available daily (2/26—3/11) during lunch (10:42– 12:25) for students to virtually drop in to ask questions via Google meet. Need more individual time with a counselor? You can make a virtual appointment here.
National Honor Society Candidates
Candidate invitations were sent via student email on Tuesday, 2/16. Candidates must upload their Leadership, Service, and Signature documents to the Candidate Information Form included in the invitation email by Friday, March 12, at 2:18 pm. Candidates must also fill out the Faculty Input Form as soon as possible. Candidates should follow up with the three teachers/coaches/club advisers they selected, as faculty members must submit their recommendations by Friday, March 12, at 2:18 pm.
The selection procedure can always be found on the Apex Friendship High School website: https://www.wcpss.net/domain/11792. Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, we understand that students have not had the same access to service and leadership opportunities as in years past. The Faculty Council has adjusted requirements for 2021 accordingly. These adjustments have not been detailed on the AFHS website, but they are explained when students access the Candidate Information Form attached to their invitation. For questions contact: Sscanlon@wcpss.net.
Tryout information is available on the Athletics Website
Men's and Women's Golf, Softball, Men's Tennis and Women's Soccer. Athletic Participation Form
Make-Up Pictures from Lifetouch
If you are a virtual student, stop by AFHS to pick up your make-up day photos (M-F before 2:30pm). If you are a Plan B student, your makeup pictures will be in your 2nd period classroom when you return to the building for your cohort.
Virtual College Visits
An opportunity for AFHS students to meet with College Admissions. Schedule
March 1st-Cohort 1/A in person learning at AFHS
March 1st-2nd-Current AOE Student Registration is OPEN
March 5th-11th Current AFHS Student Course Registration is OPEN
March 8th-Cohort 2/B in person learning at AFHS
March 9th-ACT Make-Up for Juniors that did NOT take the ACT February 23rd
March 11th-Application/Waiver course paperwork due & last day of course registration
March 12th-Teacher Workday