Principal's Message Week of 7/20
Mt. Vernon Families,
I hope everyone is doing well. As some of you may have heard, Wake County will be meeting early this week to discuss the possibility of moving to Plan C for instruction delivery. We recognize the stress and burden these changes may put on your family. Please understand, any and all decisions made are in the best interest of the students, families and staff of the Wake County and Mt. Vernon community. Regardless of the delivery method, the staff of Mt. Vernon is committed to making this school year the best year possible for your child. Below, you will find some key information on our Plan B, Virtual Academy, and food sources. As always, If you have any questions, please contact me by phone (919-233-4313) or by email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- WCPSS School Plans: As of now, WCPSS is planning on opening the school year under Plan B. This allows parents the choice of either Virtual Academy (100% online) or the A/B/C week rotation (1-week in school, 2-weeks remote learning). Families must complete this survey by July 20th if they would like to attend the Virtual Academy this school year. Here is a link to the Virtual Academy Open House that was held on Thursday, July 16. More information can also be found on Wake County’s website at www.wcpss.net.
- If a Mt. Vernon family chooses to attend the Virtual Academy, the student will return to their base school and be assigned to their Virtual Academy program.
- Once the Virtual Academy window closes, we will begin creating the A/B/C grouping for our students. Mt. Vernon and Wake County staff will certainly take into consideration siblings that live in the same household and will ensure they are placed on the same rotation.
- Food sources: WCPSS and partner locations continue to provide breakfast and lunch to families that are in need. I strongly encourage our families to take advantage of these locations during this time. The locations can be found on WCPSS’ website. You are not required to show any identifications AND students are not required to be present to receive the meals. There is also information here on the new Pandemic Electronic Benefits Program (P-EBT). For families that qualify, the P-EBT program to help families buy food during the COVID-19 school closure.
- 2020/21 Beginning of the year Information: Once we have a better idea of what the fall will look like, we will be reaching out to families to schedule our Orientation. This will be a time to meet the staff, review expectations (COVID-19 and traditional), and to just spend some time with each other.