7/13 Principal Message
Mt. Vernon Families,
I hope everyone is enjoying their summer so far. For our new families, My name is Michael Hokenberg. I am the proud principal of Mt. Vernon Middle Schol. I am so excited to spend this year with your children. I know we are all nervous about what the 20/21 school year holds. Here at Mt. Vernon, we are planning to ensure that the 20/21 school year will be a successful year for all students, regardless of the setting. Below, please find a few updates for families. Included in the updates, you will find surveys and deadlines. It is important that all families review this information. If you have any questions at all, please contact me by phone (919-233-4313) or by email email@example.com. I will get back to you as soon as possible.
- WCPSS School Plans: As of now, WCPSS is planning on opening the school year unders Plan B. This allows parents the choice of either Virtual Academy (100% online) or the A/B/C week rotation (1-week in school, 2-weeks remote learning). Families must complete this survey by July 20th if they would like to attend the Virtual Academy this school year. More information can be found on Wake County’s website at www.wcpss.net.
- If a Mt. Vernon family chooses to attend the Virtual Academy, the student will return to their base school and be assigned to their Virtual Academy program.
- Once the Virtual Academy window closes, we will begin creating the A/B/C grouping for our students. Mt. Vernon and Wake County staff will certainly take into consideration siblings that live in the same household and will ensure they are placed on the same rotation.
- Food sources: WCPSS and partner locations continue to provide breakfast and lunch to families that are in need. I strongly encourage our families to take advantage of these locations during this time. The locations can be found on WCPSS’ website. You are not required to show any identifications AND students are not required to be present to receive the meals. There is also information here on the new Pandemic Electronic Benefits Program (P-EBT). For families that qualify, the P-EBT program to help families buy food during the COVID-19 school closure.
- 2020/21 Beginning of the year Information: Once we have a better idea of what the fall will look like, we will be reaching out to families to schedule our Orientation. This will be a time to meet the staff, review expectations (COVID-19 and traditional), and to just spend some time with each other.
As always, please reach out if you have any questions.