8/6 Principal Summer Message
Good morning Mt. Vernon Families,
Welcome to the 2019/20 school year here at Mt. Vernon Middle School. My name is Michael Hokenberg. I am the proud principal of MVMS. I am excited at the opportunity to get to know and work alongside you and your scholars for the upcoming school year.
Summer break is almost over and we are inching closer to the start of the school year. Since we are on the traditional calendar, our first day of school for students is Monday, August 26. Below, you will find a few pieces of key information that will help you prepare for the first day of school. As an alternative school here in Wake County, we have the ability to do things a bit differently. Our focus is on the whole child. Your school family will focus on your scholar’s academic, social and emotional well-being during their time here at MVMS. This comes in the form of building strong relationships with our families, high academic expectations for our scholars and supports for when they need them most. Our scholars are most successful when we have a strong partnership with the school and home. This looks different for each family but always comes back to open communication between all parties. We look forward to continuing this success for the 2019/20 school year. Below, please find several pieces of information for the upcoming school year:
- New/Returning Student Orientation: We have two sessions for our 6-8 program (Wednesday, 8/14 @ 10-12pm or 1-3pm) I believe almost all families have signed up for one of the two sessions. If you have not done so already, please complete this link on our website or call the main office to RSVP. To help expedite your time here on 8/14, please complete and bring all paperwork that you received in the mail.
- Booster program Orientation: This orientation is for our Booster families only. Ms. Hughes has been in contact with families to discuss. The date of Booster Orientation is Tuesday, 8/13 @ 10-11: 30am
- Dress Code: As you all know, MVMS has a uniform dress code. This dress code enables our scholars to focus on the important pieces of the school day. I have linked a copy of the dress code here and it can be found on the Mt. Vernon website as well.
- Supply Lists: Most of the supplies your scholars will need for the upcoming school year will be supplied by MVMS. If you have any questions, please contact the main office.
- Transportation: Our scholars are transported to school via a private transportation system through WCPSS. This enables our families to be picked up in close proximity to their homes. More information on transportation will be available at orientation.
- Class Schedules: Scholars will receive their schedules on the first day of school. Staff will direct the students on where they should go for advisory period.
Additional information will be provided at orientation next week.
We are so excited for the start of the school and for the great experiences ahead for our Mt. Vernon families. As always, please feel free to reach out to us with any questions.
Have a great rest of your summer.