Family Updates - May 30th, 2022
Greetings, Lynn Road Families! I’m hopeful that everyone enjoyed the extended weekend. We will continue EOGs this week. Please make sure that your child is well rested.
Below are a few updates for the coming week. We look forward to a great week of learning and growing!
We all witnessed a tragic event in Uvalde, Texas this past week, and I’m sure that the event has caused some questions around campus safety. Below are a few ways that we keep our campus safe:
- Exterior doors remain locked during the school day
- Visitors are required to enter through the main entrance, and they are only admitted after speaking with our office staff through the intercom system, which includes a camera
- We review and practice campus lockdown procedures with WCPSS Security and with local law enforcement
- In response to the event in Uvalde, Texas, local law enforcement is proactively increasing their presence at all WCPSS campuses
- Community members can partner with us to keep schools safe. If you have any safety concerns, please contact the WCPSS Tip Line at 919-856-1911.
If you have recently changed your phone number or address, please take a minute to come by the school so that we can update your information. It is extremely important that we have accurate contacts so that you receive information from the school and in case of an emergency.
The final meeting of the Lynn Road PTA will be held in-person in the media center on Thursday, June 2nd. Refreshments/social starts at 5:00 PM and the meeting will be from 5:30-6:00 PM. Contact Emily at email@example.com with any questions!
Free and Reduced Meals
This school year all students receive free meals from federal funding that was provided due to the pandemic. This funding will end June 30th. In order to receive free, or reduced, meals for the 2022-2023 school year, families need to submit an application. The application can be found at THIS LINK.
EOG Testing Schedule
All 3rd through 5th grade students take End of Grade (EOG) Tests in reading and math. Students in 5th grade will also take a science EOG Test. Below is the remaining schedule for this year. It is important that your student is present to take the test so that they do not have to make it up later. All tests will be given in-person; virtual students will need to come to the building on their assigned days.
- Tuesday, 5/31 — 3rd Grade Reading
- Wednesday, 6/1 — 4th & 5th Grade Reading
- Thursday, 6/2 — 3rd Grade Math
- Friday, 6/3 — 4th & 5th Grade Math
- Week of June 6th - 10th — Make up Tests
Reminders from Previous Weeks:
If you forgot to place an order, or would like to purchase an additional yearbook, you will have another opportunity to place an order starting June 1st. You will be able to order using THIS LINK.
Super Kids Day
Super Kids Day is scheduled for Tuesday, June 7th (Rain Day is Thursday, June 9th). This day will be full of fun, field activities for our K-5 students. Since students will be outside for a couple hours to participate in these activities, please make sure that you send your child with a water bottle. Also, please make sure that they are prepared to participate in the events by wearing sneakers. For more information, see THIS LETTER from Mr. B.
Millbrook High School Soccer Camp
The Millbrook High School Boys Soccer Team will host a soccer camp this summer. Last year, over 100 students participated in the camp. Use THIS LINK if you would like to register, or get more information.
Literacy at Home
Early literacy skills are extremely important for a student to grow and develop into a proficient reader. Use THIS LINK from the Department of Public Instruction to get specific ideas that you can use at home to support the growth of your child’s literacy skills.