The Wise Wing 8/12/19
Google Version: Wise Wing Opening News
Dear Hilburn K-8 Academy Parents/Guardians,
Welcome Hawks! We are excited for the new school year! Soon we will open our doors to our returning families and our new Hawks! We know you are eager to get organized and prepared for the new school year! Please read the information below to help your family prepare for the 2019-2020 school year opening. The Wise Wing is the Bi-Weekly School News/Principal's Message. The first few Wise Wings will be much longer than others. Additionally, we will work to reach you through various venues this year. Be sure you are connected to us through Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram to stay connected!
This is our 25th year at Hilburn Academy! You can expect to hear about celebrations and events throughout the year to commemorate the unique history and culture we have in our nest. Help us celebrate all year by joining us for events, sharing the amazing things happening in our school, and by staying connected through Twitter, Instagram, and Facebook!
Upcoming School Events (August)
- Thursday, August 22, 2019: Meet the Elementary Hawks from 4-6 PM at Hilburn Academy. This Meet the Teacher event is for 1st through 5th-grade students. Please use the scheduled breakdown below:
- 3:00 pm Special Programs (ECS I, ECS II, Special Programs)
- 4:00-6:00 pm Elementary Open House
- Friday, August 23, 2019: Hawkpalooza from 9-10 am (Rising 6th Grade Event).
- August 23, 2019 from: Middle School Open House 10-12pm (Grades 6-8 Event).
- Schedule distribution begins at 9:45 am.
- Monday, August 26, 2019: First Day of School! School open at 7:45 AM
- Monday, August 26, 2019 - Thursday, August 29, 2019: #KinderHawks Staggered Entry Days. Kindergarten students only attend 1 day assigned by last name this week.
- Friday, August 30, 2019 from 1-2pm: #KinderHawks Meet the Teacher
- Tuesday, September 3, 2019: ALL KinderHawks 1st Official Day
- Monday, September 9: Independence Day for all Kindergarten students (Students walk to class on their own).
- Friday, September 27, 2019: Purple Hawk Awards Breakfast
- Monday, September 30, 2019: Teacher Work Day (No School WCPSS Traditional Students)
School Supply Information
Visit here for school supply lists and information. Lists are located on our Hilburn Webpage.
School Transportation Information
WCPSS Bus Transportation for 2019-2020
- If your child is eligible for transportation and will be riding the same bus to the same school next year, you don’t need to take any action.
- If you need to update your bus service needs for the 2019-20 school year, please go online at www.wcpss.net/busrider and let WCPSS know.
- If your student is assigned to a bus but is not a bus rider, please submit the decline bus form at www.wcpss.net/declinebus so that WCPSS has the most up-to-date information.
Middle Hawk Athletic Information
Hawks participating in Leesville Road Middle Athletics should check the LRMS Athletic website for game and practice schedules. Visit their site here: https://www.wakecountyathletics.com/leesvilleroad
Elementary Class Assignments
2019-2020 Class Assignments for Elementary
- Class Assignments for Grades 1-5 will be posted on the day of Elementary Meet the Hawks (Thursday, August 22, 2019). The event begins at 4pm.
- Students in Kindergarten will receive their class assignment on Friday, August 30, 2019, at Kindergarten Meet the Teacher.
Middle Hawks Schedules
2019-2020 Middle Hawk Schedules
- Students in Grades 6-8 will be able to see their schedules on Friday, August 23, 2019. Students may pick up a paper schedule at Middle School Open House (Friday, August 23, 2019 from 10-12pm). Students may also view their schedule on PowerSchools on Friday, August 23, 2019.
- Schedule review requests should be submitted here: Schedule Change Form 19-20
- We are unable to make changes based on likes, teacher preferences, or instances such as friends in other class periods.
- We honor change requests for academic placement.
2019-2020 Student/Parent Handbook
- While we recognize you are busy, please take a few minutes to familiarize yourself with the 2019-2020 Hilubrn Student/Parent Handbook. This is created to detail the procedures we honor in our nest. Additionally, the WCPSS 2019-2020 Student/Parent Handbook can provide you with essential information for district processes and policies. Find these Handbooks here: https://www.wcpss.net/domain/8327 .
2019-2020 Kickoff to Kindergarten
- Marbles Museum will host its annual Kickoff to Kindergarten in collaboration with WCPSS this Saturday, August 17, 2019. Be sure to check it out. Visit the website for more information: https://www.marbleskidsmuseum.org/kick-off-to-kindergarten
- Hilburn will embark on The Positivity Project as a Partner School for the 2019-2020 school year as a way to support students in their social-emotional learning and growth. We believe that #OtherPeopleMatter and #EveryHawkMatters and strive to support students in strengthening relationships and pro-social skills so that they can be successful, happy, collaborative, creative, critical thinkers and problem-solvers. You can read more on Positivity Project at https://posproject.org/our-story or by downloading the Family Information Letter on Positivity!
JOIN PTA: WE WANT TO SEE YOU THERE
Thank you to our HAWKsome PTA for kicking our year off with two phenomenal events:
-Popsicles on the Playground
-Hilburn Campus Beautification Day
Our nest is ever grateful for the work our PTA does to enhance our school experience. We are fortunate to have such a dedicated PTA. Head over to their website and join in helping our PTA make your child's experience bloom in our nest. https://www.hilburnacademypta.com/
There is nothing too small and no amount of time to little to impact our community! Join today!
Tools for School (NC State Fair Supports Schools)
Tools For Schools Program (NC State Fair)- Earn $$ For Our School
Online Advance Sale Only: August 1-October 17. For every Adult FastTrack Gate Admission Ticket purchased using code 442, the State Fair will donate $ to the school. For every Child FastTrack Gate Admission Ticket purchased using code 442, the State Fair will donate $1 to the school.
Will your student walk or bike to school this year? If so, students in Grades K-5 are required to have a parent permission slip on file. You can download this here online, or get a copy in the main office. http://bit.ly/HilburnWalkerBikerPermissions
Back to School Jitters
We recognize that heading back to school can spark a host of anxiety for students (and parents). Take a moment to review these tips from the National Association of School Psychologists to help your family prepare for any Back to School Jitters popping up in your house. http://bit.ly/2nb8l62
5 Most Asked About Policies and Procedures
Remember this is a short summary, you can read the complete guides in our 2019-2020 Student/Parent Handbook located on our website here: https://www.wcpss.net/Page/40092 !
1. BUILDING ENTRY
- Our building remains locked at all times. Never prop doors or wedge rugs between front doors or classroom exit doors to allow for easy entry. This is a major safety risk.
- All parents must ring the access bell for entry. We do not offer frequent visitor exception cards or badges.
- VISITORS & VOLUNTEERS
- Visitors must first report to the office. This includes visitors that work for Wake County but are not based at Hilburn (tech services, contractors, parents who are employees, Central Office staff, etc.).
- Classroom and Field Trip Volunteers must register with the WCPSS Volunteer System.
- Parent Conferences occur at scheduled times. Impromptu conferences are not able to be accommodated.
- For events, assemblies, classroom showcases or activities, visitors should sign in at arrival in the office and then sign out after leaving.
- Classroom observations are not permitted.
- Classroom visits without prior knowledge of the teacher or planning with the teacher are not permitted.
- Continuing volunteers approved for the 2019-20 school year MUST reactivate as a volunteer no later than 4:00 PM on October 31, 2019. Current volunteers, who provide a valid email address, will receive an email 15 days and 30 days prior to the expiration of their volunteer status reminding them to reactivate. After October 31, 2019, individuals previously approved may not volunteer without a new criminal record check.
This is for the safety of our students. Please help us protect our school, students, and staff by honoring these safety measures!
- SCHOOL HOURS
- The school campus is officially open at 7:45 AM and students will be marked tardy after the 8:15 AM bell.
- There is no adult supervision outside prior to 7:45AM. Students should NOT arrive prior to 7:45AM.
- Dismissal will begin at 3:00 PM daily!
- No office dismissal after 2:30 PM daily.
- STUDENT BIRTHDAYS
- We DO NOT have birthday parties at school for any students. Parents may choose to bring in a small snack (no sheet cakes, large cupcakes, or cookie cakes), plan a craft, read to the class, or work with the teacher to determine how to create a memorable activity. Healthy birthday snacks can be shared at a time determined by the classroom teacher. All Wake County Schools maintain a no homemade food policy for safety reasons. Food items brought to school for sharing must be store purchased. Due to allergies, you must work with your child’s teacher to honor safety (ie, peanut safety).
- Items not permitted for birthdays: party favors, decorations, hats, goody bags, and balloons.
- Birthday invitations should be mailed from a child’s home, and birthday parties should be planned outside of school hours. Teachers cannot give out parent contact information for parties.
- SCHOOL TO HOME COMMUNICATION
Our school communicates through a variety of platforms. We provide opportunities for you to keep up with events and Hawk News.
- School’s website (https://www.wcpss.net/hilburnacademy)-
- Bi-Weekly Wise Wings (Principal’s Message) - The Wise Wings Newsletter is sent through email twice a month. The email list is generated from Powerschool emails, posted on our Web Page (https://www.wcpss.net/hilburnacademy) and Twitter (https://twitter.com/HilburnAcademy)-
- PTA HawkTalk – PTA Weekly Updates- This email is sent weekly from our Hawksome PTA!
- Classroom / Grade Level Newsletters- Emails from teachers / grade levels regarding important updates for students-
- SchoolMessenger- This is used to send text messages or phone calls for important updates, reminders, or school-related changes in hours due to weather- These are sent frequently to remind families of events, activities, and updates.
Other platforms such as Twitter, Facebook, Seesaw, Dojo, Bloomz, etc. are optional ways to see what’s happening at school and in your child’s classroom. These platforms are not required. Please do not message teachers on these applications to discuss concerns. All staff is asked to communicate through email regarding student information.
Quote of the Wing
"The Best is Yet to Come!"
Word or the Wing
Wing (N)- an appendage of the moveable feathered membranous of a bird, bat, or insect; a device worn under the arms to aid in appearance, position, or function; an extended edge; a vane of a windmill or arrow; sail; a means of flight or rapid progress; a side outlying a region or district; a part or feature of a building; one of the pieces of scenery at the side of a stage; either of two opposing groups in an organization; a dance step; a unit of the US Air Force.
How amazing that one word can possess so many meanings in one language!
We are excited to welcome our returning Hawks and our new Hawks to our nest! We hope you enjoy the next two weeks with family and friends, before the first day of school!
From the Nest,