Principal's Post | March 15, 2021
Greetings Parents! Below are some important announcements for you:
Learning This Week
- Wednesday is an asynchronous day for all learners.
- Students in Virtual Academy will have synchronous learning Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday.
- ALL in-person students will have in-person instruction on Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday.
- Specials this week begins with Day SIX on Monday through Day FOUR on Friday. (6-day rotation for in-person students)
Virtual Academy Families: Mark Your Calendars for 4th Quarter (Q4) Material Distribution
We will have two options for Q4 material pick up:
- Monday, April 12, from 4:00-7:00 pm
- Tuesday, April 13, from 8:00-10:00 am
Remember, Q4 instruction begins on Wednesday, April 14. We will also be collecting any school-owned materials, such as EL books, that won’t be needed in Q4. To see exactly what will be collected, please click here.
Free Family Workshops for Stress Management, Wellness Skills, and Keeping Kids Safe
WCPSS offers free wellness workshops that focus on helping students and families during this challenging time. These workshops can help families learn about emotional support strategies being used in school, which can also benefit families at home.
- Circle Connections | Learn more about one of the tools of Restorative Practices used in our schools, the Circle Process. The Circle is an organized group discussion that allows everyone to share openly when they feel comfortable. This often leads to improved behavior, increased accountability, and strengthening relationships. View dates and register.
- Keeping Kids Emotionally & Physically Safe | WCPSS Crisis Prevention and Intervention Specialists provide families with resources, discuss risk factors, and describe warning signs on suicide and self-harming behaviors. View dates and register.
- Stress Management and Wellness Skills | Manage stress by learning to read your body’s reactions in order to bring your mind, body, and spirit into greater balance. The Community Resiliency Model® (CRM) is used in our schools and encourages you to share these stress management skills with family, friends, and others in your community. View dates and register.
Pictures Are This Week
Lifetouch will be on-campus for student pictures later this month. You can order pictures online at mylifetouch.com. Flyers will also be sent home with in-person students. The schedule has been revised based on the new schedule for 4th & 5th graders and will be as follows:
- In-Person PreK, Kindergarten, 2nd Grade, & 4th Grade - March 16
- Virtual Academy - March 17 (Asynchronous Day)
- 1st grade, 3rd grade, & 5th Grade - March 18
- Make-up day - March 24
Appointments are required on the Asynchronous Day, March 17. Please sign up for an appointment time here. Parents - you will use the bus loop to bring your child to the cottage (mobile unit) for pictures.
Positivity Project (P2) This Week: Love of Learning
This week, we'll begin learning about Love of Learning. Those who love learning are motivated to learn and master for the sake of the learning rather than an external reward, like a grade. For a 1-page character card overview, click here. And, for P2 for Families (password: P2), click here.
Track Assignments for 21-22
We anticipate we will return to our multi-track calendar in the 21-22 school year. Families who had an existing track assignment prior to March of 2020 will automatically remain on their assigned track and do not need to complete this survey, though you can make a request to change tracks. Families who have joined us since then will need to let us know their track preferences. If you do not have a current track assignment, or wish to make a track change request, please complete the following form: http://bit.ly/21-22Track. Please complete this survey by Friday, April 16, 2021.
We do not yet have information on the availability of Virtual Academy for the 21-22 school year. As soon as it is known, we will share VA information with families.
Due to the constantly evolving nature of the pandemic and effect on schools, you can anticipate it being mid-May before track assignments will be finalized and sent to families.
Announcements from the BCES PTA
Yearbook: Nothing could be luckier for the 2020-21 BCES Yearbook than your photo submissions!! Share your photo fortunes and upload a portrait photo of your BCES student(s) by clicking here then sprinkle in some community photo magic by clicking here. Merry news - school photos taken through Lifetouch will be included. You can order Yearbook cheer and learn more by clicking here.
Invest: Invest is an important fundraiser for the BCES PTA. DONATE TODAY to build the pot of gold that supports students, teachers, and the work of the PTA.
Nominations: Want to be part of a wee bit of fun in the next school year? The PTA is starting the Nominations process and is seeking volunteers interested in serving as officers or committee chairs. Click here to learn more about these positions. Questions? Please contact your Nominating Committee Chair, Ashleigh Hales (email@example.com).
Find more PTA info on our website; Please follow the PTA on Facebook (Brier Creek Elementary PTA) and Twitter (@bces_PTA)
I hope each of you has a wonderful week!