Principal Post | August 17, 2020
Good evening Jet Parents!
The countdown is on! Only 1 day left until we begin the 20-21 school year! We have been busy this week preparing to welcome your students virtually on Monday and can’t wait to see them! Please read these important announcements for this week.
Instructional Material Pick-Up
Please mark your calendars to pick-up instructional materials this week. Siblings in the same household may come with an older sibling so a family does not have to make multiple trips. Each grade-level will have materials students will need for virtual learning through Quarter 1. Families who ordered an EduKit may also pick it up at this time, and we will also return student belongings that were left in the building last spring. Pick-up will be in the carpool loop. The schedule for this week is:
- 4th & 5th Grades: Wednesday, 8/19, 2:00 - 5:00 pm
- 2nd & 3rd Grades: Thursday, 8/20, 2:00-5:00 pm
- Pre-K, Kindergarten & 1st Grade: Friday, 8/21, 2:00-5:00 pm
Homeroom teachers will be there during their grade-level times to meet students and families. We will also have a remote pick-up and 2nd chance pick-ups the following week:
- Monday, 8/24, 11:00 am - 1:00 pm at the corner of St. Giles Street and Deep Hollow Drive
- Tuesday, 8/25, 8:00-9:00 am in the Carpool Loop
- Thursday, 8/27, 8:00-9:00 am in the Carpool Loop
Single-Subject Acceleration (SSA) Test Request Update
SSA testing requests will be accepted the first ten days of school. Please email them to Melissa Gough (firstname.lastname@example.org). 2019-2020 test requests already collected will still be valid, you do not need to resubmit. Testing will occur online. All students whose parents requested Single Subject Acceleration (SSA) will be assessed within the first 30 days of remote learning. Testing will occur between the 11th & the 30th day of school. Students meeting the scoring qualification will be placed in the accelerated course no later than the 7th week of school. Any questions please contact Melissa Gough at email@example.com.
Brier Creek Elementary will serve as a curbside pick-up location for school meals beginning Monday, August 17. Ms. Boone and our cafeteria staff will be handing out meals from 10:45-12:45, Monday through Friday, just outside the cafeteria in the carpool loop. The meals will be free through August 31. Beginning in September, students will have to use their meal benefit or pay for meals. If you have not yet signed up for meal benefits for this year, you can do so here. More information about school meal distribution, including other sites, is available here.
The Big Bus Food Distribution at the corner of Deep Hollow Drive and St. Giles Street will continue on weekdays at 11:00 am.
20-21 Beginning of Year Logistics
- Orientation Period: The first two weeks of school will be primarily focused on building relationships with students, learning how to use our online tools and platform effectively, developing school habits, and ensuring our students have everything they need to be successful this fall. Students will have Morning Meeting with their class each morning at 9:15 am. Students can access their class meetings through their Google Classroom. Teachers will begin to add other activities throughout the two weeks as is age-appropriate. There will be no live afternoon instruction during the first week of school.
- Attendance: Daily attendance during live instruction and engagement with independent activities is essential to student success. We understand that “life happens” and sometimes there are reasons that students are unable to join live instruction. Please let the teacher know before, or as soon as possible afterwards, when something prevents a student from joining. This document provides clarification on our attendance procedures.
- Calendar: Everyone in our school will follow this single-track calendar until we return to 100% in-person instruction. When that happens, students will return to their previously assigned track. Students new to us will be assigned a track at that time. We are beginning the year entirely virtually, including those students who opted-in to the Virtual Academy and those students who are in the Plan-B transition. We do not anticipate any in-person instruction happening prior to the beginning of the 2nd quarter in October.
- Families and Schools Together Initiative: If you need support with childcare/supervision during virtual and remote learning, please visit this website for options.
- Grading: Marks (or grades) will be issued throughout the year to inform parents about student progress and mastery. This document provides clarification about our grading procedures.
- Specials: Specials will be phased-in over the first four weeks of school until all grade-levels are attending Specials daily. The phase-in will be:
- August 24 - 4th & 5th grades begin attending daily specials
- August 31 - 2nd & 3rd grades begin attending daily specials
- September 7 - Kinder & 1st begin attending daily specials
- Positivity Project: We are excited to be entering our 4th year as a Positivity Project Partner School. P2 lessons will begin the week of August 31. To learn more about P2, visit our website.
- Office Hours: Beginning the week of August 24, all instructional staff will have Office Hours on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 3:30-4:00 pm. Office Hours is a time for students and parents to check in with teachers for clarification and general questions. If you need to meet with your child’s teacher to discuss your child, your child’s progress, or other personal matters, please contact him/her directly and schedule an appointment. We will post links to Office Hours for Instructional Staff on our website.
Technology Help and Troubleshooting
WCPSS has created this site to support students and families with understanding the tech tools we will use, troubleshooting common problems, and as a resource for help with technology problems. If you are having trouble, you can contact the Help Desk Online or call 919-694-8100.
WCPSS will begin distributing devices on Monday, 8/14. There have been over 30,000 devices requested in the district, and we are still waiting on delivery of many of these. If you have already requested a device, either through the Technology Survey in July or through our school survey, the district will contact you when your device is ready for pick-up. If you have not yet filled out either of these surveys, please complete our survey now, we need to hear from each family, even if you do not need a device.
Special Education Webinar Q&A
You can keep up with the latest updates here on our Getting Ready for 20-21 page. Also, plesae bookmark our school calendar for future reference. If you have questions, please reach out to your child’s teacher. If he or she can’t answer them, they will find the right person for you.