Principal's Post | May 25, 2020
Greetings Jets Parents!
Welcome to week 7 of remote learning! I hope all of our Jets continue to be happy, healthy, and safe! As a reminder, Monday, May 25, is a school holiday. There will be no remote learning activities and teachers and staff will not be working.
Parent Meetings Last Week
Thank you so much to those who attended our Parent Meetings last week! We had a great turnout and it was amazing to be able to “see” so many of you! We covered tips and resources for supporting your child’s social-emotional health, what to expect regarding feedback from your teachers this year, procedures for retrieving personal belongings and medicine from school, recent changes to the 20-21 school calendars,and PTA Updates about the upcoming meeting, officers for next year, ordering EduKits, and volunteers needed. It was also great to hear from parents about your “must-have’s” during the school closure, parenting hacks you’ve picked up recently, and what kinds of things in remote learning you would like to see continued even once we are back in school. Everything that was covered is also included in this update, and, as promised, here is a FAQ document based on the things you asked during the meeting.
Retrieval of Personal Belongings From School
With the sudden dismissal of school, many students left personal belongings at school they will want to retrieve. In the next couple of weeks, teachers and staff will pack each student’s belongings in a brown paper bag and clearly label it. For students who will be with us in the 20-21 school year, we will place those belongings in the next classroom for students to get when we return to school, including pictures or yearbooks delivered to school. For students not returning to Brier Creek, parents may pick-up belongings at the following times:
- Tuesday, June 9, 10:00-11:30 am
- Wednesday, June 10, 5:00-7:00 pm
If your child will not be back in a WCPSS school next year, please make sure you have completed this form so we know your plans to withdraw at the end of this school year.
Returning Borrowed Items to School
Items that you have that were borrowed from school, such as library books or classroom supplies, need to be returned no later than June 12. You may bring them when retrieving personal belongings from school on June 9 or June 10, or you may drop them off in the box outside the front door between the hours of 10 am and 3 pm, Monday-Thursday.
If you borrowed a Chromebook and/or hotspot for remote learning, these only need to be returned if your child is not returning to WCPSS for the 20-21 school year. Even if your child will be attending another WCPSS school, he/she may hold on to the Chromebook and/or hotspot for now.
20-21 School Calendar
Last Tuesday, the WCPSS Board of Education discussed school calendars for the 2020-21 school year based on new legislation approved by lawmakers in late April. The proposed year-round calendar provides for a later start date - August 3 for Tracks 1, 2, & 3, and August 17 for Track 4 - and a total of 165 in-person instructional days. Additionally, each track has 5 remote learning days scheduled. WCPSS is in the process of creating a Remote Learning Plan for next year and will release it this summer. Remote learning days will likely look similar to this spring, with some adjustments and improvements based on what we’ve learned. Additionally, the proposed changes include an additional 15 minutes in our school day next year. We do not yet know when those minutes will be added and what our 20-21 bell schedule will be. The WCPSS BOE is scheduled to vote on these proposals on June 2.
End of Year Feedback from Teachers
As the end of the 19-20 school year quickly approaches, I’d like to review what you can expect to receive from teachers to help you understand your child(ren)’s progress during the 19-20 school year:
- You will receive a final report card for your child(ren) approximately 1 week prior to the last day of school
- Marks/grades will not be issued for 4th Quarter for any student
- Track 1 students finished Quarter 3, and those marks will be included on the final report card
- Tracks 2, 3, & 4 did not finish in-person Quarter 3 instruction, therefore will not have Q3 marks on their final report card
- Teachers will provide a written narrative to summarize student progress and mastery in literacy, math, science, and social studies and to communicate observations about observed behavior, social-emotional skills, and work habits
- These remarks will be found in the Q4 Comments section of the report card
If you would like a parent-teacher conference, please schedule with your child’s teacher soon. After the last day of school, teachers will be on summer break and not available for conferencing.
Parent Resources to Support Children’s Social-Emotional Health
The current pandemic has affected all of us, including our children. It’s more important than ever to be deliberate about taking care of ourselves and supporting our children’s social-emotional health. Our School Counselors, Ms. Lee and Ms. Marshall, are continuing to keep the BCES Student Service site updated with helpful information for parents and students. I encourage you to visit it frequently to stay updated and to use it as a resource if you need it.
Also, I encourage you to have on hand the 24-hour hotline number for Alliance Health - 1-800-510-9132. Alliance Health is the managed care organization for publicly-funded behavioral healthcare for the people of Durham, Wake, Cumberland and Johnston counties in North Carolina. The services that Alliance manages are provided by a large network of private providers that offer services for people who are experiencing a crisis. Access Specialists and Clinicians are available 24/7 and can conduct a telephone screening and offer a referral to your choice of appropriate service providers. They can also provide help for people dealing with a behavioral health crisis, and offer information on other resources available in your community.
Some other resources you may find helpful are:
- WCPSS/Online Safety: https://www.wcpss.net/Page/38545
- Safe Child NC Parent Resources: https://safechildnc.org/parent-resources/
- Poe Health Center Educational Topics: https://www.poehealth.org/educational-topics/
- WCPSS/Student Health and Safety: https://www.wcpss.net/suicideprevention
Lunch with Livengood
Lunch with Livengood will continue on Mondays for 3-5 and Tuesdays for K-2 through the week of June 8. We have lots of fun - I hope your children will join us! The code/nickname is lunchwithlivengood on Google Meet. Your child MUST be logged in to his/her WakeID in order to access the Meet. Due to the Memorial Day Holiday, we will not have Lunch with Livengood today.
PTA News and Updates from your PTA President, Brittany Wells
- The ordering window for EduKit Prepackaged School Supplies for the 2020-21 school year is now open. Order Now, Don't Delay. Current deadline for Tracks 1, 2 & 3 is May 31 & Track 4 and all rising Kindergarteners is June 14. We are in communication with EduKit to extend the deadline if possible due to the delay in school opening. For more information about school supplies & wish list items can be found on the BCES PTA website. For questions, please contact our BCES PTA School Supply chair, Kelly Monce at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Save the date for our Virtual General PTA Meeting on June 1st at 6:30pm. We will have our officer election for the 2020-21 school year, vote on 2 budgets, and announce our PTA Volunteer of the Year. The slate of officers, proposed budgets, and google meet link can be found at http://briercreekpta.org/upcoming-general-pta-meeting/ .
- The Nominating Committee is continuing to seek volunteers for next year’s committees. The PTA is specifically looking for co-chairs for Book Fair, Family Nights, Silent Auction, Teacher Appreciation, and Yearbook. Please email Andrea Bertole at email@example.com to learn more. You can find information about PTA roles at http://briercreekpta.org/2020-21-volunteer-opportunities/
- BCES Yearbooks started arriving in the mail this week! It is not too late to order a yearbook if you would like to have one. Visit http://briercreekpta.org/yearbook/ to find the Treering link to order.
I hope you have a wonderful week! Please reach out with questions or kudos to share!