Principal's Post | May 4, 2020
Greetings Jets Parents!
I hope today’s email finds you well. Please see below for important announcements for this week:
Remote Learning Updates
Based on feedback from parents and staff about remote learning, it is evident there are a couple of tweaks we need to make with our Remote Learning Plan. First, teachers are finding that parents and students are reaching out via email and/or Google Classroom when support is needed rather than going to Office Hours. Many teachers are finding they are lonely during that time each day, as very few students or parents are seeking help during that time. Therefore, we are going to reduce Office Hours from being 60 minutes daily to 30 minutes twice per week. Your child’s teacher will let you know when these times will be and the Google Meet code that can be used.
Second, we have discovered how much our students are craving time with their classmates and all teachers have begun holding some type of virtual class meetings anyway. To formalize this, we are committing to each classroom having at least an hour a week of class meeting time. This may be in a single session or broken up into two sessions.
You can review our Remote Learning Plan on our website anytime.
Planning for Next Year
Even with this uncertainty, we are still moving forward with planning for next year. If you are currently assigned to Brier Creek Elementary next year, but won’t be returning for the 20-21 school year, will you please complete this Family Intent Survey to help us plan accordingly?
Lunch with Livengood
Lunch with Livengood continues on Mondays for 3-5 and Tuesdays for K-2. We have lots of fun - I hope your children will join us! Thanks for Ms. VonDerHeide who was our Guest Reader last week and also shared with students how to use Board Builder in Discovery Ed. You never know who else may show up in the coming weeks! The code/nickname is the same one we have been using on Google Meet. Your child MUST be logged in to his/her WakeID in order to access the Meet.
PTA News and Updates from your PTA President, Brittany Wells
- This week is Staff Appreciation Week for ALL tracks! Let's show the BCES staff how much we appreciate everything they have done this year, and are still doing.
- Monday, May 4th have your child write a note or send a picture to their teacher and other staff members at BCES.
- Wednesday, May 6th give the BCES staff a “high five” with an electronic gift card.
- Visit http://briercreekpta.org/virtual-staff-appreciation-week/ to find more information, staff email addresses, and a list of staff favorites.
- We will have a Virtual PTA Board Meeting on Monday, May 4th at 6:00pm. We would LOVE to have you at the meeting. Please email email@example.com if you need
- The Yearbook Committee wants to thank the many families who ordered yearbooks. Leading up to the print date, we had 178 orders which means that TreeRing, in partnership with Trees for the Future, will plant 178 trees courtesy of BCES! It’s not too late to get a copy if you wish. Visit http://briercreekpta.org/yearbook for more information.
- The Nominating Committee is continuing to seek volunteers for next year’s Board and Committees. Please email Andrea Bertole at firstname.lastname@example.org to learn more. You can find information about PTA roles at http://briercreekpta.org/2020-21-volunteer-opportunities/
I hope you have a wonderful week! Please reach out with questions or kudos to share!