Principals' Post 17 | March 30, 2020
Good evening Jets parents,
I hope this communication continues to find everyone in good health and good spirits. I miss the daily interaction with our students, but am hopeful that everyone can stay safe and healthy through our new normal of staying at home and practicing social distancing. I have a few updates to share with you this week:
- Lunch and Breakfast Accessibility | WCPSS has added bus delivery sites for food this week. One of these sites directly serves our students - the intersection of St. Giles Street and Deep Hollow Drive. The bus will arrive at this location at 11:00 am, Monday through Friday, and will stay until 12:00 or until all the meals are distributed. Meals will be given for any child under 18 years of age, not just WCPSS students. The students do not have to be present, an adult can go pick up the meals.
Our PTA continues to support families through distribution of snacks and activities. A HUGE THANK YOU to PTA President, Brittany Wells, who has been devoted to ensuring our students have what they need. We will have another snack and activity distribution this weekend or at the end of this week. More details will be sent soon! If you would like to donate snack items, please go to the PTA’s Amazon wishlist.
2. Remote Learning Plan | Your teachers and other BCES staff have been working hard to prepare to launch remote learning next Monday, April 6.The purpose of the BCES Remote Learning Plan is to provide consistency to students, families, and staff through a predictable structure that also allows for maximum flexibility for all. We are not conducting “business as usual.” We are providing structures and supports that enable students to continue to make progress toward grade-level standards while schools are closed for an extended period of time. Remote learning cannot replace being present at school and interacting with and learning from a skilled and caring teacher. It can, however, mitigate learning loss and help prepare students for the next grade-level. To read more about the BCES Remote Learning Plan, please visit our website.
3. Track Change Request Period | The track change request period is now open and has been extended until April 10. To request a track change for your rising 1st-5th grader for next year, please complete this form.
4. Coming Soon | Yes, there are more questions than answers at this point. You can expect more information later this week on the following items:
- Field Trip Refunds
- Resources for Parents (how to use Google Classroom, Google Meet, etc)
- Device Distribution
- Printed Packet Distribution
5. 4th Grade/Track 2 | For those of you with children in 4th grade on Track 2, Mr. Mayer has shared that he has resigned from teaching to pursue a career in another field. We are sad to see him go, but understand he must do what is best for his family. At this time, Ms. Gough, Instructional Facilitator and AIG Teacher Extraordinaire, will be your child’s teacher of record. She is collaborating with the 4th grade team and will set up a Google Classroom to begin remote learning next week.
Thank you for your continued grace, flexibility, and understanding as we respond to our national emergency and extended school closure. An event such as this is something none of us were prepared for, yet I know we are all doing our best. We anticipate there will be bumps in the road, as this is a road we have not navigated before. As always, please reach out should you have questions, concerns, or needs.
On behalf of the staff at Brier Creek, know that we are thinking of you and wishing you well!
CLICK HERE to read the latest updates on COVID-19 from WCPSS.