Parent Updates | Monday, March 23, 2020
Good evening Jets parents,
I hope this message finds each of you well. I sure do miss seeing your children each day, but the health and well-being of each of you is more important than anything else right now.
As I’m sure you’ve heard by now, Governor Roy Cooper has cancelled all public schools in North Carolina through at least May 15. Developments in the coming weeks will dictate whether we will be able to return to school in the second half of May. In the meantime, I want to share some information with you:
- The Track Change Request period opened today. If you would like your child to be on a different track than their current track beginning in the 20-21 school year, please complete this form before April 3rd.
- While teachers have been explicitly told to NOT POST any required or graded work yet, we have developed some online remote learning resources you may find helpful. You can access these resources on our website and also link to the WCPSS Remote Learning Site as well as the NC DPI Remote Learning Site. You can expect to hear more about online and remote learning that will be coming in the next few weeks.
- Our PTA is continuing to collect snacks that will be distributed to our students in need of support. If you would like to donate, please visit their Amazon Wishlist here.
- Tomorrow, I’m kicking off Lunch with Ms. Livengood, virtually, of course. Using Google Meet to meet online, I’ll tell some corny jokes, read a story, and check in with the kiddos while they eat lunch. I will send out a link via School Messenger at 11:45 am and we will begin at 12:00. Students can use a phone, tablet, or laptop to join the meeting. The schedule for this week is:
- 4th and 5th Grade: Tuesday, 3/24
- 2nd & 3rd Grade: Wednesday, 3/25
- Kinder & 1st Grade: Thursday, 3/26
- For our families who may be experiencing food insecurity, we will be distributing lunch from First Watch this Saturday at 1:00 pm at the corner of St. Giles Street and Deep Hollow Drive. We will also give out snack bags and other goodies at this time. Hope to see you there! WCPSS also continues to distribute food. Please check WCPSS website here to see other options available around the district.
As more information becomes available, I will keep you updated. If there is anything you or your family needs during this unprecedented time, please let me know. In addition to trying to help, I can also connect you with other resources or people who are more than happy to support you!