Principal's Post 11 | December 16, 2019
Greetings Jets Families! In this Principal’s Post, you can find information about:
- Winter Holiday Closure
- Istation Assessments
- READvolution 2019
- Open Houses January 7
- PTA News and Updates
BCES SCHOOL EVENTS CALENDAR - Click Here for the Full Calendar
THIS WEEK (December 16-20)
Next Week December 23-27
Winter Break - School Closed
Quick Links for Parents:
- Breakfast and Lunch Menus
- School Calendars
- Flight Forecasts
- Grade Level and Team Google Sites
- BCES PTA
- DreamBox Learning Log-In
Winter Holiday Closure
Please note that the school, including the office, will close for Winter Break on Friday, December 20, at 4:30 pm. We will re-open on Thursday, January 2, at 8:00 am. For more information about school days, please see this year’s calendar.
Istation Assessments (Kindergarten - 3rd Grade)
This month, Brier Creek, along with all WCPSS schools, began using a new platform to administer benchmark assessments and to monitor student progress. As part of the Read to Achieve legislation, the NC Department of Public Instruction has mandated the use of Istation to replace the platform we previously used, mClass. Fourth and fifth grades will continue to use mClass for benchmark assessments and progress monitoring.
Istation’s Indicators of Progress (ISIPs) will monitor your child’s ongoing progress in reading. Skills that will be assessed vary by grade-level and will include:
- Phonological and phonemic awareness (rhyme, sounds in all word positions, and segmenting and blending sounds);
- Phonics (letter knowledge, alphabetic decoding, spelling);
- Comprehension (listening and reading); and
- Fluency (accuracy and rate, self-monitoring for comprehension).
Your child’s teacher will provide a paper copy of your child’s ISIP results on the final day of before the Winter Break along with your own log-in information to the Istation Parent Portal. In the Parent Portal, parents and guardians can access to supplemental home activities, parent resources, a personalized data profile of your child’s progress, learning materials and games for home use, and interactive books. Additionally, the app Ipractice can be downloaded to a device. Ipractice lets students choose activities at home that will help build early foundational reading skills.
Please refer to the following websites for more information:
Parents may also call 1-866-883-7323 (option 2) or email email@example.com for help or further information.
Congratulations to the 122 Jets who met their READvolution reading goal! Each of these students earned a pair of free tickets to a Hurricanes game! Ticket codes can be found on the READvolution portal. The class with the highest percentage of students who met their goal was Ms. Wynn’s 5th Grade Track 1 class. The class with the highest number of minutes read was Ms. Hunsberger’s class, also in 5th grade on Track 1. Way to lead the way, 5th graders! The class who read the most number of books was Ms. Williams’s 2nd grade Track 4 class. Way to go!
Open Houses in January
Please remember that we have two Open Houses on Tuesday, January 7, for families interested in learning more about Brier Creek. The first is at 8:00 am and the 2nd at 6:00 pm. Please pass the word to your friends and neighbors who have rising Kindergarteners or are interested in transferring. They can register at bit.ly/OpenHouseJan7.
PTA News and Updates from your PTA President, Brittany Wells
- Do you have pictures from school field trips, school events, or PTA events that you would like the PTA to consider using in the BCES Yearbook? There are instructions on how to upload your pictures on the PTA website. You do not have to purchase a yearbook for your pictures to be considered, but they are still available for purchase through the link on our website for $12.14 plus tax. Visit: http://briercreekpta.org/yearbook/
- The BCES Olympics will kick off January 21st for Tracks 1 and 2, and February 20th for Tracks 3 and 4. Look for more information to be sent home after the holiday break. If you want to come cheer on your child during their Run Around the World, save the dates February 5th for Tracks 1 and 2 and March 4th for Tracks 3 and 4. Each grade will have their run during their specials time.
- Save the Date for our next Family Night Out at Warrior Tech on February 28th from 6-9pm. We will send home more details when we get closer to the date.
Please look for the weekly email from your child’s teacher and check your child’s grade-level website for additional information. Grade-level websites can be found here. Please reach out to your child’s teacher(s) with any questions.
My Jets Best,
Kathy Livengood, Principal