7-10-20 Weekly Message
July 10, 2020 Weekly Message
- Child Nutrition Services wants you to know that you can apply online to qualify for free and reduced-price school meals.
Visit www.wcpss.net/meals to determine if you qualify and to complete the online application. To help you, we have shared the application information & frequently asked questions on the website. Families will be able to obtain paper applications once their school is reopened. We encourage parents to choose healthy and delicious school meals for their child.
- FYI: Update on the deadline to decline transportation and Virtual Academy Transportation Policies
This will be included in the all-parent email on July 9 as a standalone item: The deadline to decline transportation service has been extended to Monday, July 13 at 5 p.m. https://www.wcpss.net/declinebus
If you were a bus rider last year and you are considering registering for the Virtual Academy but have not yet decided, you do not have to decline your seat at this time. If you were a bus rider and do register for the Virtual Academy, you will be automatically removed from the transportation system for the first semester of school. You will be automatically assigned to the bus again if and when schools reopen on a normal schedule with all students in the building.
- Fall 2020 Reopening Plans: We are hard at work designing a plan for Cary High School to reopen in August for our students. We will be prepared to engage our students through the new Cary High School Virtual Academy, targeting families who would prefer not to return to campus for in-person instruction, and through a Blended Learning Model of instruction for families who feel more comfortable returning to campus for face-to-face instruction. Under both of these models, we will strive to offer students a rigorous and engaging learning experience.
Students who choose to enroll in the Virtual Academy (VA) option must do so during the application window, July 10 - 20th on the Wake County Public School System website. We will make every effort possible to offer the same course opportunities to VA students that are available to on-campus students.
The On-Campus Blended-Learning Option for students will include the following conditions:
- Students will be assigned to one of three Cohorts (A, B, or C).
- We will use a three week rotating schedule for learning. Students will engage in one week of face-to-face learning on campus and two weeks of Remote Learning during each rotation.
- This rotating schedule will allow us to reduce the number of students in each classroom and will assist us in adhering to social distancing guidelines.
- Siblings will be assigned to the same Cohort, even if they are in different schools.
- All students and staff must submit to a health screening each morning before gaining entry into our buildings for the day.
- Students and staff will be required to wear a mask while on campus, except while eating. Exceptions will only be made if medical documentation is provided.
- Based upon our current safety plan, students will eat in their classrooms to assist with safety and to reduce opportunities for exposure.
- We are still uncertain if 11th and 12th graders will be allowed to leave campus for lunch. This issue is being discussed by high school principals, WCPSS leadership, and health officials. I will share more details as soon as decisions are finalized.
Whether a student chooses to enroll in the Virtual Academy or the Blended Learning Option, they will need to engage in school work using a technology device. During the Spring Semester closure, we worked hard to distribute Chromebooks to all students who needed them. If your circumstances have changed and you are now in need of a device for your student in the Fall, please send an email to Mr. Jeremy Barefoot, firstname.lastname@example.org, with your student’s name and your contact information.
Please review the resources below as your family considers which school option will be best for your student(s).
Return-to-campus Guide for Families:
WCPSS Virtual Academy:
New District Return to Campus Website:
- Back To School Orientation
Cary HS will offer orientation sessions in August for all students. We’ll be sending information out on that a little later in July.
- Strawbridge is taking appointments (7/13-7/17) for Class of 2021 Senior Portraits.
Class of 2021 Strawbridge Senior Portraits - Book an appointment
Attire: In an abundance of safety precautions, Strawbridge won’t be offering tux/drape photos to students this year. We ask that students take one picture in dress-for-success attire for the yearbook.
Make-up photo opportunities will be offered after school starts, including yearbook photos.
- 2021 Senior T-Shirts - The deadline is July 20th. Order them here.
- Summer Campus Hours
The Cary HS campus is closed at this time due to COVID19. However, we have a skeleton staff on campus 9-3 to allow students to pick up items, including yearbooks, diplomas and personal items.